CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   TARGA /T-TOP Crossfire! (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/6082-targa-t-top-crossfire.html)

crossexam 09-07-2004 11:41 AM

TARGA /T-TOP Crossfire!

Can anyone please address the current rumor that a targa or T-top version is coming out in 2005 or 2006...?
Also, does anyone have any info on picking one up directly from the plant near Hannover, driving it around Germany/Central Europe, then cargo shipping it home and avoiding the taxes and fees on purchasing a new car? (much like the program SAAB used to have)

GoodEnough 09-07-2004 02:12 PM

Rag-Top X-Fire...

I was at a 5* dealer on Friday. They said a Rag-Top, like the old VW Bugs, is coming out soon. Don't know how reliable the info is.

crossexam 09-07-2004 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by GoodEnough
I was at a 5* dealer on Friday. They said a Rag-Top, like the old VW Bugs, is coming out soon. Don't know how reliable the info is.

When you say rag-top, I think convertable, so whats the diff between a rag-top and the roadster...?

drunkiq 09-07-2004 03:22 PM

that funny - My buddy looked at my car a couple of weeks ago and suggested I see how hard a targa would be do to on it. It looks like it may not be connected but I would have to strip it down to see if it is welded in place...

-marc

GoodEnough 09-07-2004 03:24 PM

Not a convertible but the square piece of canvas top that folded back like an accordian. Like the 60's VW bugs. Again, I'm not sure how reliable the info is, it came from the service guys. We'll see. Paste this link into your browser.
http://us.st7.yimg.com/store1.yimg.c...1807_190889491

crossexam 09-07-2004 03:46 PM

I'd settle for a removable one or two piece hard-top...

Dan Root 09-07-2004 07:50 PM

Why? buy a Convert that's why they make them.

crossexam 09-08-2004 09:20 AM

Sure, the roadster looks good, but you lose that sweet sloping hatch back-end with the convert, and I can't speek for everyone but thats what sells the CF to me. A set of t-tops or rag top style or targa would give that open effect (still no sunroofs planned, keep in mind) and still preserve that back end...

Dan Root 09-08-2004 09:44 AM

If you cut the top you can make a solid sunroof,or removable hatch top .Probably around $1500-2,000.Go to an after market Sunroof Co.

crossexam 09-08-2004 10:05 AM

True, but I like the groove down the center of the roof that compliments the hood, as do many other folks. I have a better suggestion, that does not comprimise the vehicle's stability as do some open cockpit arrangements do:
Two removable roof section pieces above both passenger and drivers heads, similar to the t-tops of the early 80's corvettes or some past ferraris, leaving behind a center piece about 6-8 inches wide down the center of the roof, to hold upper frame beam(s) dome light, etc. Roll down the windows and you have a sweet looking ride! Perhaps even upright slot compartments on either sides of the cargo area in the back to hold them, they wouldn't be more than 3 sq ft / 2 inch wide sections.

09-08-2004 10:25 AM

How much would hacking away at the roof effect the structural stability of the car?

crossexam 09-08-2004 10:55 AM

Who said anything about hacking away at it, I'm talking factory option for near future models. The center non-removable roof section would hold the upper frame beams of the car...

09-08-2004 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by crossexam
Who said anything about hacking away at it, I'm talking factory option for near future models. The center non-removable roof section would hold the upper frame beams of the car...

Sorry, I was referencing Dan Root's comment "If you cut the top you can make a solid sunroof,or removable hatch top .Probably around $1500-2,000.Go to an after market Sunroof Co."

I should have quoted it.

crossexam 09-08-2004 11:50 AM

Really tho guys, what do you think of my suggestion? Worthy enough to send to Karmann/Germany/SLK plant near Hannover...? I suggest doing it that way instead of direct to Chrysler since I believe the Euros would be far more interested in it. Is there a specific name for those type of tops, or is "T-tops" the standard for them?