CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   Goldwing Honda (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/61033-goldwing-honda.html)

arado 04-23-2013 10:30 AM

Goldwing Honda

Talking to a friend of mine this morning about his Honda Goldwing, Then my wife said "show him your Blackwing" So I showed him my SRT6 black coupe.. gary..

+fireamx 04-23-2013 10:52 AM

Re: Goldwing Honda

Originally Posted by arado (Post 736216)
Talking to a friend of mine this morning about his Honda Goldwing, Then my wife said "show him your Blackwing" So I showed him my SRT6 black coupe.. gary..

You do realize Gary, that "stock vs stock", the Gold Wing is quicker? (Depending on what year Gold Wing you are talking about of course).;)

arado 04-23-2013 11:06 AM

Yup.. My best friend bought the first Gold wing in Dayton, Ohio. It was the fastest Goldwing ever made.This was in 1975. It almost kept up with my !973 Norton. So we put nitrous oxide on his CB750. Those were good times.

+fireamx 04-23-2013 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by arado (Post 736220)
Yup.. My best friend bought the first Gold wing in Dayton, Ohio. It was the fastest Goldwing ever made.This was in 1975. It almost kept up with my !973 Norton. So we put nitrous oxide on his CB750. Those were good times.

I had the first 1975 Gold Wing in Akron.
After my friend (who raced Yamahas) bumped the timing up on my wing, I had to start using Hi-octane gas, but the performance was unbelievable, and the MPG went up to 48 too. I could hang with the 902 Kawasakis, and those were the fastest bikes that I remember back then.

pizzaguy 04-23-2013 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx (Post 736218)
You do realize Gary, that "stock vs stock", the Gold Wing is quicker/

Perhaps, but does it handle the curves as well?

Franc Rauscher 04-23-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 736281)

Chasing a Honda Goldwing on the Dragon - YouTube

Oh Pizza,,,I sooooooooooo need a trip to Fontanna!:rolleyes:

pizzaguy 04-23-2013 07:57 PM

Understood, Franc. That video was shot the SUnday before THanksgiving, 2012. We had the place almost to ourselves!

NES Nick 04-24-2013 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 736281)

Chasing a Honda Goldwing on the Dragon - YouTube

Gold Wings handle pretty good, my dad has one, the performance is very surprising.

And this

+fireamx 04-24-2013 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by NES Nick (Post 736379)
Gold Wings handle pretty good, my dad has one, the performance is very surprising.

And this deals gap on a goldwing/gl1800 by yellow wolf dragons tail - YouTube

Thanks for clarifying that for everybody Nick.;)
A video speaks louder than words ever could.

Hindin 04-24-2013 12:48 PM

Yellow Wolf is a well known contributor/rider on the GL1800 forum and lives in somewhere near that area so he's very familiar with every curve in that road. Not to mention he is extremely well skilled at pushing his GL1800 to its limits. I have a 2008 Goldwing parked in the garage and the most remarkable difference in terms of sensation between the XF and the GL1800 is in the twisties. On the bike the lean angle can be extreme (as shown in the clip above) while the XF remains planted perpendicular to the pavement. Although opposite, I'm sure both are somehow good for my mental health;). At least that's what I tell my wife.https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=82882&thumb=1

Goldwing 04-26-2013 02:42 PM

Having owned my 77 Wing since 1978, I would never drive it as aggressively as I sometimes drive the XFs. Aside from the fact it has sat in the back of the garage for the past 6 years (consistent within a couple years of me acquiring XFs), it needs fresh rubber and all fluids changed. But she does start up every summer. I remember leaning her over so far that the engine guards scraped the pavement. I am not that indestructible any more.

boostmonkey 04-28-2013 01:04 PM

I saw a guy nearly drop an 1800 Goldwing at the drag strip last night. :o He was in line for tech with his buddy who was racing a crotch rocket. My father actually owns a Goldwing-only motorcycle repair shop here in Ohio, "Wing Doc", so I started talking to the guy on the 1800. I talked him into making a couple of passes on the wing instead of just watching his buddy. I was curious to see what it would run.

The knuckle-head dumped the clutch and spun the rear tire on launch real bad (those bikes have a LOT of torque), got the bike sideways, and nearly dropped it. He ended up running a 14.something. He made a 2nd pass - I told him to SLIP the clutch - but I didn't get to see it and he left right after, so I don't know what he ran. :/