Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

MP3 players and radio transmitters

Old 12-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 players and radio transmitters

Reading most reviews of using radio transmitters for MP3 players within cars it would appear that the car & aerial plays a key part in success. For example soft tops delivering better HiFi response than tin tops, although any music within a car will be a compromise of sounds. So has anyone tried out an (illegal in the UK) transmitter in the xFire ? With what results. Also have any of the other folks in different countries tried different transmitters (i.e iPOd or Other) in the Xfire, again with what results ?

Old 12-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Default Re: MP3 players and radio transmitters

Keen to hear myself actually. Almost bought a Griffin iTrip this evening, but want a first hand report from an xfire owner first.

Old 12-21-2004, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by scotth_uk
Keen to hear myself actually. Almost bought a Griffin iTrip this evening, but want a first hand report from an xfire owner first.
I have used an iTrip w/my iPod for a few days while I was waiting fror my new head unit. It worked but not to my satisfaction. The car and antenna absolutley play a critical role. While I was at work I showed a buddy of mine how the iTrip worked. After we listened to it in my Crossfire we carried it over to his new Subaru... it sucked.. it did not work at all. He then showed me his iRock which worked great in his Subaru as well as the Crossfire.

Scott... I'm putting both my iTrips up on eBay with no reserve and $0.99 starting price. If you won I'd be happy to mail it down to you.

Good luck...

PS In my wife's Saab I have installed a wired FM Modulator and that is far better then any FM Transmitter. The one I used even has a switch to disconnect the antenna lead completely resulting in no interference at all.

Old 12-22-2004, 02:54 AM

Hello Greg,

Thanks for letting us know. The FM modulator sounds interesting - do you have a link to something I can read?

Old 12-22-2004, 02:32 PM

It also seems that using non-iPod MP3 players might be worth considering. There are a variety of transmitters available, although I note some have rather mixed reviews.Seems that the ability to roam accross a wider frequency range is important rather than a fixed 6 or 8 frequencies.
I would hope that having the ariel in the rear window, and placing any transmitter near the back of the seats (in the net) would get a good signal.

Old 12-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also was going to say why dont you guys just get FM modulators. Their so easy to install and then you don't need to worry about reception. This is how they used to wire up CD changers to stock headunits.. of course now every new car has a CD player.. eventually I think every car will have something for Ipods and MP3s, but you can still use the trusty old FM modulator in the meantime.

An FM modulator is basically a device that attaches to your antenna wire and the music player (in this instance an IPOD). Then whenever you tune to a certain station, lets say its 90.5, it will be playing straight from the Ipod.

NJ

Last edited by NJspeed69; 12-22-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by scotth_uk
Hello Greg,

Thanks for letting us know. The FM modulator sounds interesting - do you have a link to something I can read?
Not really except for my Saab schematic, you can download the PDF file here.

The FM Modulator that I recommend can be found here, it's the N-724. It only has two frequencies which at first seems like a concern but because it actually cuts the antenna lead there's no need for 100's of stations. It really boils down to what station do you want displayed while listening to the Aux-in.

This one can be switched off and I installed the switch in the glovebox on the Saab. Actually I tied it into the power antenna lead and used a SPDT switch. Up means the antenna goes up and FM, down is no antenna and iPod time!

Side note - I am communicating with Neo Car Audio and hopefully they can develop an Aux-in cable that will connect to the OEM CD changer port on our head units. That is as long as the connection hasn't been disabled. I'll keep everyone informed. I offered to test any cable / device they want since it's so easy to swap out the head unit.

Last edited by CyberGreg; 12-22-2004 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:07 PM

Thanks Greg
Will see if I can source an fm modulator.

Peter

Old 12-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Forum Regular

be a little wary as i've tried the griffin and belkin in the UK and while they both work there is a lot of breakthough in built up areas, the FM spectrum is very crowded in the UK and were next to useless in central london.

Old 12-27-2004, 11:38 AM

I just got the Ipod and Itrip for christmas, I tried the Itrip this morning. It worked OK. Im in Miami and the FM is very crowded. My question is where are you guys putting your Ipods? I'm having a problem getting good reception unless it's close to the head unit.

ACE

Old 12-27-2004, 04:03 PM

i second the ipod thing. got one for xmas as well. what is everyone doing and does the cup holder accessory for the ipod fit into our cupholder?

Old 12-28-2004, 11:38 AM

Blimey thats confused me ... I'd have thought putting the iPod closer to the actual ariel within the rear widow would get the best rceeption ?

Old 12-28-2004, 11:45 AM

has anyone checked this out www.monstercable.com called the icruze. looks like the perfect solutions

Old 12-28-2004, 11:55 AM

also found this http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.ph...407&Itemid=109

called and the xfire is not supported which makes me think the icruze will also not be supported.

Old 12-28-2004, 04:38 PM

Right now i'm putting the Ipod right in the cupholder. it fits perfect. It doesn't move around or anything. Just looks wierd.

ACE

Old 12-29-2004, 09:31 AM

Xfire
I thought our cd player did not have a cd changer outlet - so cannot see how we'd get the monstercable device to work ?

Old 12-29-2004, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tea Drinker
Xfire
I thought our cd player did not have a cd changer outlet - so cannot see how we'd get the monstercable device to work ?
Take a look at this post, perhaps it will help.

Click RIGHT HERE!

Cheers

Old 01-01-2005, 10:44 AM

Cybergreg
Very useful and informative post - many thanks for the link
Tar

Old 01-01-2005, 07:24 PM

I have the IRIVER H120 and I've tried a FM transmitter with 4 fixed frequencies before( the kind that isn't hard wired) and it sucked because the 4 available frequencies were being used in my area. Now I just bought the new iriver AFT-100 FM Transmitter which transmits on full FM spectrum (88.1 -107.0MHz) but unfortunately I haven't been able to try it out yet since I put my baby away for the snow season.

It has gotten some good reviews but I'll have to see how it actually works in my area. Does anybody have it?

Old 01-04-2005, 11:38 AM

It would be good to see how a non-iPOD Fm transmitter performed - I assume the iRiver AFT-100 would work with other non-iPOD MP3 players. However, my son tells me I would be a fashion disaster if I did not get an iPOD, which kind of appeals.