Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Aftermarket cupholder question?

Old 12-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket cupholder question?

I have seen many threads regarding the piece of crap cup holder thats in our cars and was wondering if any of you have installed a new type somewhere in your car. I don't wish to get one of those plastic hang on your door types since you need to do something with your drink if you exit the car! I like my cup of coffee on the way to work and where I live our mailboxes are in a central location of the resort/subdivision. When I stop to check my mail or mail a letter I have to be really careful with my drink and this sucks. I have seen some really neat billet cup holders that swing back under the dash when not in use and maybe it could be located under the passenger side dash but they are expensive at close to 75 bucks but it would be worth it if I ended up shorting out my heated seats! LOL Have any of you Crossfire owners made any changes and if so what did you use. Seems stupid to even be discussing a stupid cup holder but thats the only thing I dislike about my Crossfire, its a great car, best I have ever owned and easily the most fun and attention getting to boot!

Old 12-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Aftermarket cupholder question?

I ripped my cupholder out, and now if I want a coffee, I'll just hold it. Or better yet, I'll drink the top portion so it's not top heavy, and put it on the passenger side floor. On the highway it won't spill unless you hit a huge bump. All in all, this is a little inconvenient, but it's more inconvenient than having that POS pop up every 2 minutes. Seriously, the way I sit in the xfire, my elbow would rest exactly on the cupholder. I'd literally be spending half my drive concentrating on hitting it back down into place instead of the road.

Iced teas, sodas, and drinks with screw on caps also work quite well. Just make sure its tight between sips and throw it on your passenger seat.

Screw the cupholder, it's the biggest piece of junk. Ripping mine out was the best mod I've done, better than even my HID headlights.

Old 12-29-2004, 03:40 PM

LOL , Im defintly with you on that one, that has been the mod that I talk about the most, is I ripped out that damn cupholder. Man, I think I want to put it back in just to rip it out, it gave me an almost satisfaction. But I do have to agree holding coffe and drinving in this little car sucks, I am going to try to somehow put on in our armrest bin, only have it up when I need to put a cup in it. But thats the least of my worrys.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:25 PM

Even worse with right-hand drive as the handbrake is then on the wrong side of the drink!

Old 12-29-2004, 07:51 PM
PJA

I put an aftermarket cup holder in my Miata. It was mounted on the transmission tunnel right next to the passenger's left knee. When folded, it looked like a slender rectangular box. To use it, you pivoted the cover (which became the bottom of the holder) down and flipped the "jaws" up to produce the holder. The "jaws" were adjustable for various sized containers. Cost about $10.00 and worked perfectly. BTW, the holder mounted with one screw which matched an existing hole in the Miata's trim.

Pete

Old 01-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Cool Re: Aftermarket cupholder question?

I purchased one of the type that hang on your door forabout 1.98 at advance auto. I plan to remove the upper bend for the window hook up and put some of this really stron "3M Dual Lock hook and loop material on the back side of the holder and stick it to the passenger side of the console up just out from the dash. This should work and since the car is not that wide will hold my drink or empty when done. I plan tp try this anyway? Stupid problem but still its a hassle for such a great car. Mike

Old 01-22-2005, 07:06 AM

Try this on for size. This is a flip up style for about $13.00. He also has a stainless steel version avail. I e-mailed hime about fit in Xfires. He answered back very fast and recommended this one. He also showed one that is currently under development that will be stainless and fit with hooks into your carpet.

www.ultimatecupholders.com/fischercupholder.html

Last edited by luke646; 01-22-2005 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:29 PM

Okay the best cup holders are the one's you can get from k-mart/murry's/autozone, that hang from the window. You simply roll the window down, insert the lip of the cup holder into the rubber, and roll the window back up. These work great, and when I am not using them they go in the back. Seriously like the easiest thing to do and probably the cheapest... like 2.99 for 2..

DavesX-fire

Old 02-05-2005, 05:31 PM

o god i hate that cup holder... in the middle yes it pops up all the time right in the middle of shifting.... its a nice cup holder but it just belongs in a diffrent spot...

Old 02-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DavesX-fire
Okay the best cup holders are the one's you can get from k-mart/murry's/autozone, that hang from the window. You simply roll the window down, insert the lip of the cup holder into the rubber, and roll the window back up. These work great, and when I am not using them they go in the back. Seriously like the easiest thing to do and probably the cheapest... like 2.99 for 2..

DavesX-fire
I had one of these cheep ones in my first car but I then got a Neon which has 3 so throw it away. Now I can not find one anywhere.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by FULLDRAW
I have seen many threads regarding the piece of crap cup holder thats in our cars and was wondering if any of you have installed a new type somewhere in your car. I don't wish to get one of those plastic hang on your door types since you need to do something with your drink if you exit the car! I like my cup of coffee on the way to work and where I live our mailboxes are in a central location of the resort/subdivision. When I stop to check my mail or mail a letter I have to be really careful with my drink and this sucks. I have seen some really neat billet cup holders that swing back under the dash when not in use and maybe it could be located under the passenger side dash but they are expensive at close to 75 bucks but it would be worth it if I ended up shorting out my heated seats! LOL Have any of you Crossfire owners made any changes and if so what did you use. Seems stupid to even be discussing a stupid cup holder but thats the only thing I dislike about my Crossfire, its a great car, best I have ever owned and easily the most fun and attention getting to boot!
Personally no complaints. Mine works great. It's all a matter of buying the right CUP. The 24oz black plastic one at 7-11 works great, I've done some hairy driving at speed and it's never come out. Starbucks makes a couple that fit perfect too (but cost a whole bunch more).