CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   How in the hell did this happen!!!??? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/69949-how-hell-did-happen.html)

xxx_fire 12-04-2014 11:11 PM

How in the hell did this happen!!!???

i was in my car trying to find a parking spot as I was going to visit my sister when I hear a loud POP! I automatically thought I blew a tire. I get out and check to see my tires are fine but my rear window in shattered but still in tact. The main suspect in my mind in the rear window defroster. Every time I would turn the rear window defroster on the radio would become a little staticky. Plus it wasn't really defrosting as it should.. This is seriously some weird ****! Has this ever happen to anybody else?

americanretrodave 12-05-2014 06:04 AM

Re: How in the hell did this happen!!!???

Or a kid threw a rock...

pizzaguy 12-05-2014 09:01 AM

""""Every time I would turn the rear window defroster on the radio would become a little staticky. Plus it wasn't really defrosting as it should.""""

Sounds like the connection to the grid was loose/resistive/corroded; this cause some minor arcing which the the radio would, of course, hear. This also means less current flow and therefore less heat.

I'm having a hard time thinking this has anything to do with the window breaking.

Speedy4x4 12-05-2014 10:01 AM

Only time I have seen this was when it was cold outside and something hot touched the window will make it shatter.

Watched a guy throw a coffee pot of water on his windshield to get the frost off. It shattered, of course.

Mrmiata 12-05-2014 12:18 PM

That old girlfriend.. the one that liked the other crossfire better.. must have wanted to say howdy.. LOL. Guess she doesn't throw like a girl.

Tjb421 12-05-2014 01:40 PM

yeah i can't imagine there being any chance of an electrical current of that magnitude shattering a window. like...ever.

xxx_fire 12-05-2014 03:09 PM

Anyone parting out Thier 04 crossfire?

Trenzman 12-05-2014 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata (Post 820733)
That old girlfriend.. the one that liked the other crossfire better.. must have wanted to say howdy.. LOL. Guess she doesn't throw like a girl.

I was thinking a bolt from the front lip popped off, hit the car next to him, flew up and landed on the back window breaking it :D Or did you back up into the curb too hard and flexed it somehow?

xxx_fire 12-05-2014 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Trenzman (Post 820772)
I was thinking a bolt from the front lip popped off, hit the car next to him, flew up and landed on the back window breaking it :D Or did you back up into the curb too hard and flexed it somehow?

I was moving maybe 1mph... Basically stopped.. The glass kept crackling after it cracked. It sounded like rice crispies in a bowl of milk. I google defroster cracking glass and apparently it does happen.

Tjb421 12-11-2014 03:25 PM

laminated glass always sounds like that when it "shatters". Here's a question, what was the weather conditions when the break happened and in the last couple days before that? Extreme temperature cycles can crack glass pretty easily if they're quick enough.