CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   Load Limits (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/7056-load-limits.html)

pyrrhusmj 01-16-2005 10:51 PM

Load Limits

Have a question on what load limits mean?

I bought a crossfire last night. My wife and I are bigger people. We are more then 415lb load limit rating. I had no idea this was there until I had a blowout today (yes I know the blowout was probably not due to load rating, but it caused me to find the information).

Well long story short, I am now worried about driving this car. Should I be?? Should I go fight with the dealer to try and get out of my contract?

Michael

BullFrog 01-16-2005 11:21 PM

Re: Load Limits

I dont think thats a big worry. My friend and i drove to orlando florida from miami and back in the car with a total weight exceeding 400 lbs and i didnt have any problems nor blowouts i dont think you should worry, however if you are unsure, better safe than sorry, it doesnt hurt to stop by the dealer and ask a service advisor to look into it before getting out of the car.

Just make sure though that you adjust your tire pressure accordingly to the amount of weight in the car, that should help considerably also.

However i've also wanted to know myself how they determine the load limit on vehicles.

Dan Root 01-17-2005 10:39 AM

Load limit is total weight added into Vehicle ! including people.

pyrrhusmj 01-17-2005 10:47 AM

How does load limit effect the vehicle? Can it make the vehicle unsafe?

Michael

Dan Root 01-17-2005 11:08 AM

I'm not an engineer,the dealers rarely read the spec's.I would say over 100lbs might cause some suspension problems.THe tires can handle the weight but check pressure.How much do you 2 weight?

pyrrhusmj 01-17-2005 11:16 AM

I hate to admit it, but with clothes on (I tend to drive with my clothes on ;) ), we are both right at 530.

Michael

Dan Root 01-17-2005 11:32 AM

I think you may need to mod yours or buy another one for your wife and race her to wherever you go !

Or it gives you a real reason to diet,so you can drive together .Goodluck!!

pyrrhusmj 01-17-2005 11:41 AM

Well right now I am trying to figure out how to return a truly beautiful car :( I am just worried about the safety and reliability.

Michael

Dan Root 01-17-2005 11:47 AM

Well if you bought it with your wife and the dealer didn't show the limitations wt wise you might have a chance. You might ask them what the limit is first and see how well they know what they're selling people.Then show them it's unsafe according to factory spec's.

where do you live ?what color is it.?

pyrrhusmj 01-17-2005 01:21 PM

Actually only one service guy knew :) Already been talking to them on the phone.

pyrrhusmj 01-17-2005 01:24 PM

Oh, and I am in Keller Tx. It is Sapphire Blue. I love that color, not as much as Aero Blue, but I do like it. I hae to admit it, but my favorite color scheme is on the base model coup. The black on black is nice, but the seats aren't.

Michael

MI Roadster 01-17-2005 07:24 PM

Wow, that sounds like something NO ONE would have thought about! Are you both comfortable in the car together? How does it ride? Besides the blowout, does it feel, and handle ok when you're driving it?
Be sure to let us know what you find out, because that doesn't sound like a very resonable load limit for a car. With 2 people in it, even if they were of "normal" weight, there wouldn't be much left over for gear. The trunk is small but not THAT small!
Good Luck.

Dan Root 01-17-2005 07:35 PM

ACTUALLY IT WAS a thread back a while before because of rear end noise ! Turned out to be bad gears.

I don't think you have to loose any lbs the converts trunk is smaller.MI

harry7 01-17-2005 08:04 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. When I younger and poorer, I had a dodge colt. It had ,I believe, a 380 lb weight limit. I drove it for 5 years and 155,000 miles. At that time I weighed 350lbs and usually had 2 or three others in the car.I wouldn't do any rallying or road racing with that kind of load. Under normal driving conditions you shouldn't have a problem. The Crossfire is a MUCH better car than the colt.

MI Roadster 01-17-2005 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
ACTUALLY IT WAS a thread back a while before because of rear end noise ! Turned out to be bad gears.

I don't think you have to loose any lbs the converts trunk is smaller.MI

what? what rear end noise? I have dial-up. Which thread back ?

(edit)Thanks Harry 7. I wasn't too worried about it, just wondered. I DID have to drive the car on snowy roads today. When I left this morning it was cold, but the sun was shining, and when I went home, it was a blizzard and the roads were slippery. That was too tense for me. I hate snow!! (but made it home ok)

Dan Root 01-17-2005 08:12 PM

It was an AZ thread.

pyrrhusmj 01-21-2005 11:22 AM

Actually very comfortable. Seemed to drive fine. The car is back at the dealership though :( I already miss it. The regional rep said this issue has come up recently and some problems with the car being overweight are anticipated and said to take it back (without me asking).

Originally Posted by MI Roadster
Wow, that sounds like something NO ONE would have thought about! Are you both comfortable in the car together? How does it ride? Besides the blowout, does it feel, and handle ok when you're driving it?
Be sure to let us know what you find out, because that doesn't sound like a very resonable load limit for a car. With 2 people in it, even if they were of "normal" weight, there wouldn't be much left over for gear. The trunk is small but not THAT small!
Good Luck.

Dan Root 01-21-2005 11:36 AM

That might cause some others that are unhappy with their XF to gain weight to get out of their lease or purchase .They might want to put a warning sign on the window sticker.

pyrrhusmj 01-21-2005 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
That might cause some others that are unhappy with their XF to gain weight to get out of their lease or purchase .They might want to put a warning sign on the window sticker.

Yep :) Although I need to lose weight to get back in one :)

Michael