Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Anyone running Cooper ZEON 2XS tires?

Old 03-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running Cooper ZEON 2XS tires?

Just curious if anyone else has these on their Crossfire. A near new set came on the Crossfire that I purchased and they appear to be VERY noisy. Is this just the nature of the vehicle or is excessive road noise caused by these tires? I have owned a lot of Corvettes and none of them has been near as loud as this Crossfire.

If it is the tires I will purchase a new set, if it is the vehicle I will live with it. Tirerack does not sell Cooper or I would simply read the reviews and decide from there.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:40 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone running Cooper ZEON 2XS tires?

Originally Posted by IGot2P
Just curious if anyone else has these on their Crossfire. A near new set came on the Crossfire that I purchased and they appear to be VERY noisy. Is this just the nature of the vehicle or is excessive road noise caused by these tires? I have owned a lot of Corvettes and none of them has been near as loud as this Crossfire.

If it is the tires I will purchase a new set, if it is the vehicle I will live with it. Tirerack does not sell Cooper or I would simply read the reviews and decide from there.
These cars aren't particularly quite, but they aren't super noisey either. Tires do make a big difference on the noise level though. Mine was getting really loud but that's when they were very worn. I put new Michelin on mine and the noise level and ride / comfort level was significantly enhanced. If your cooper tires are pretty new, I wouldn't expect they should be that noisey, but Coopers aren't necessarily the highest rated / quality tires out there for our cars. The only thing you could do is take a ride in someone elses Crossfire to try to compare / evaluate noise level differences (if they have different tires of the realative same mileage). Other tha that, ride the heck out of the car and abuse the tires, that way you won't feel so bad about buying new tires. BTW, lot's of threads on here about tire preferences and experiences. Use the search to check them out. I ended up with Michelins even though they were the more expensive choice because I had really good experience with my first set. Good luck.

Oh, there is also some threads on installing sound insulation in the trunk area. Just keep in mind these tires are even closer to you and your ears than they were in a corvette.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cooper zeon 2XS is no longer available.It was replaced by the ZEON RS3-S which is a asymmettical summer tire.I live in the mountains and only use my roadster in the warm weather, the RS3-S is the best handeling street tire I have ever owned.Because the 2XS was discontinued so long ago I would check the 4 diget date code on the side of the tire, you may be dealing with a very old set which my have hardened.The set of 2XS I had years ago was not noisy on the Crossfire.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by freddyL
The cooper zeon 2XS is no longer available.It was replaced by the ZEON RS3-S which is a asymmettical summer tire.I live in the mountains and only use my roadster in the warm weather, the RS3-S is the best handeling street tire I have ever owned.Because the 2XS was discontinued so long ago I would check the 4 diget date code on the side of the tire, you may be dealing with a very old set which my have hardened.The set of 2XS I had years ago was not noisy on the Crossfire.
You may will be correct about my tires being an old set as CarFax shows that the vehicle has been driven less than 10,000 miles in the last three years. Although they look near new they may well have 10,000 miles on them or more.

What format will the date code be in?

Old 03-30-2015, 09:00 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by IGot2P
What format will the date code be in?
Four digit number. Week/Year

I can tell you that almost any Crossfire for sale at a dealer around here, that has brand new tires on it, will always have Cooper on it. I believe the reason is price.

Last edited by James1549; 03-30-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:50 PM

Well, I just went out and looked and the front tires are dated the 32nd week of '09 and the rear ones are the 50th week of '09. I would bet that they were put on in March of 2011 and have approximately 10,000 miles on them. This info is what I would guess after looking at the CarFax records for this vehicle. OTOH - they sure don't appear to have 10,000 miles on them. The vehicle has less than 30,000 miles on it and that would mean that the first set did not even last 20,000 miles. Anyway, I wouldn't not think that thy would have hardened since near the end of '09 but certainly could be wrong. Guess that I will just tolerate the noise for awhile. :-(

Old 04-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I would live with the noise or turn up the radio rather than drop a grand for new tires. Hankooks are real popular and I have them on both cars now. They are not particularly noisy, but they are wide tires so there is some. Of course, you cannot hear the tires with the top dropped which is the way I drive the roadster all summer. And the roar of the SRT6 engine tends to drown out the tires, too. Come to think of it, I don't hear a lot of tire noise.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:47 PM

Goldwing, I have used your first suggestion and Kid Rock can totally eliminate the tire noise. :-)