Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Acrid smell at high speed/RPM

Old 02-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acrid smell at high speed/RPM

Hi, just thought I would get some suggestiosn on this minor problem. The X-Fire I got with 100 miles on it, but noticed that there was an acrid/chemical smell when I 'pushed it' a little, say around 90 MPH or 4 RPM's. Was told it would go away, but am now at 6,000 miles. I brought it up during my first check up, and was told that since Chrysler couldn't drive the car faster than 60 MPH during their check ups, they couldn't confirm it. It's more an annoyance than anything, but if I'm going at a speed that tests the car, I'd rather not have to have the smell. Any suggestions? Perhaps if I knew what was causing it, CHrysler would fix it with out having to test it.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Default Re: Acrid smell at high speed/RPM

Do you mean the rotten egg smell?

Plus a bit more information... do you get the smell when you are going 90, or is it just after you've gone 90? How long does the smell last? Where does it seem like the smell is coming from? Is it worse or better with the windows down/up?

Jesus, it's like I'm some sort of CSI (you know Crossfire Symptom Investigator)

Old 02-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Forum Regular

I had that smell too when I pushed my 6 speed and assumed it was the clutch wearing in. Haven't noticed it for over 4 months now so maybe it's something else that just goes away with mileage?

Old 02-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are getting a "rotten egg" odor only while under heavy acceleration it is most likely caused by a higher sulfur content in the fuel you are using. i experienced this problem while using crown brand gasoline in my crossfire. i haven't noticed the problem recently while using other fuels such as shell. here's a link to a tsb issued by toyota:

http://www.autosafety.org/Toyota%20S...l%20Models.pdf

Old 02-03-2005, 04:53 PM

Well, my major complaint really is fuel economy, I'm getting on average 19, ranges between 17, lowest, and 21 highest....(It's supposed to get 21 city, 28 highway) Maybe I should switch to Shell? I was going to send another thread on this issue. However, I do not believe the brand of fuel is the problem for this issue.

With respect to the first comment, I notice it with the windows closed, and usually when I'm accelerating and about a minute thereafter. It's been 4 months, and 6000 miles, so its gone through its breaking in period in my opinoin.

Originally Posted by Rob M
if you are getting a "rotten egg" odor only while under heavy acceleration it is most likely caused by a higher sulfur content in the fuel you are using. i experienced this problem while using crown brand gasoline in my crossfire. i haven't noticed the problem recently while using other fuels such as shell. here's a link to a tsb issued by toyota:

http://www.autosafety.org/Toyota%20S...l%20Models.pdf

Old 02-03-2005, 07:04 PM

i tend to get around 22 mpg combined mileage in mine. that's without trying to be as easy on the accelerator as i would if i were not having any fun at all. i recorded 25 mph on interstate driving at around 70-75 mph when it was new. that mileage should improve since the car has a few thousand miles on it now.

many, if not most drivers today are not getting the epa estimated mileage in their vehicles. there are a variety of reasons, some of which include personal driving habits. but also the test methodology used by the epa isn't necessarily representative of city or highway driving. for example, in real city traffic you might wait 3 minutes at a light. the epa doesn't simulate such long stops. instead, the stops are much shorter, and the average speed is 21.2 mph. the city profile also includes a brief top speed of close to 60 mph. these factors are not typical of what you'll find driving in congested urban areas. so, it might be hard to achieve the rated city mileage.

for calculating highway mileage, we usually think of interstate driving at 65mph (or more). in the epa's dynamometer test for highway mileage, the vehicle never goes over 60 mph, and averages just 48.3 mph, and includes an initial vehicle start and ends with a stop. if you're driving down the highway at more than 65 mph it may be impossible to achieve the highway estimates as well. keep in mind that that the crossfire's good looks are for aesthetics; the high drag coefficient will kill your mileage at high speeds.

also, note that for the tests the ac is off!!!

here you go:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

Last edited by Rob M; 02-03-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:47 PM

I understand the variable argument on MPGallons. The problem is, that even on highways, the most I've gotten was 21. My second to last tank was 16. At some point, you have to say, "That ain't right."

Old 02-04-2005, 04:04 PM

jlseagull,

I agree. If you are only getting 16 mpg on the highway, something is definitely not right. I think it's time to have a dealer (a good dealer) check it out.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Smile Re: Acrid smell at high speed/RPM

jlseagull,

you live in MD, right? i live near baltimore. here's what you can do. drop your crossfire off at my house and let me drive a couple hundred miles in your car to see what kind of mileage i can get. mine's been sitting the last couple weeks since i put her on a no salt diet.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:51 PM

Sorry, she's my only car, cannot share. Thanks though.

Old 02-05-2005, 02:32 AM

My mileage sucks, but that's my fault, this car is so slow in Mexico City, the altitude makes it very slow so I drive at WOT most of the time.

I get the rotten egg smell all the time, but I thought it was just me.

Old 02-05-2005, 06:55 AM

I have gotten it too at times, have the dealer check your cats. If anything is causing it its that. I am averaging 16-17mpg also. But if i do alot of highway driving i can get it up to 18ish.

Old 02-05-2005, 04:09 PM

It seems like the problem with the smell (and perhaps the fuel economy) happens with my type of car, the Graphite X-Fire 6 speed. Certainly the last two commenters had the same type car as myself. Any comments?

Old 02-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlseagull
Well, my major complaint really is fuel economy, I'm getting on average 19, ranges between 17, lowest, and 21 highest....(It's supposed to get 21 city, 28 highway) Maybe I should switch to Shell?
I use Shell 93. I'm getting 24-25 MPG driving around (~50/50 mix). I got 29 on my last long trip (steady highway speeds ~80). I used to notice the egg odor, but haven't in months. I've got just over 10,000 miles.

Old 02-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jlseagull
It seems like the problem with the smell (and perhaps the fuel economy) happens with my type of car, the Graphite X-Fire 6 speed. Certainly the last two commenters had the same type car as myself. Any comments?
jlseagull: I have the Graphite 6 speed and I get good city mileage but I haven't got the exact figures as I have not checked city only but I did check the highway once and got just over 30 mph. I notice a huge difference from my Lexus LS 400 which was 15 city and 19 highway.