CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   manual hard to get in gear (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/7516-manual-hard-get-gear.html)

Robinhood 03-10-2005 09:47 AM

manual hard to get in gear

early in the morning when my car is cold it seem to be hard to get it in gear and that after i let it warm up

hunt416 03-10-2005 11:40 AM

Re: manual hard to get in gear

Yep. This is a common problem. The trans is reluctant to shift in the mornings, mostly only 1st and 2nd and Reverse. Get used to it, and start practicing your double clutch technique.

But what do you mean by: "and that after i let it warm up"?

After mine is warm, it shifts quite smoothly... well maybe not super smooth... but adequately.

Robinhood 03-10-2005 11:52 AM

about 5 or 10 it still hard to shift but when it is really warm it is great

Bob G 03-10-2005 04:26 PM

Most standards are hard to shift when cold, the oil is thick and needs some friction heat to warm up. The Xfire is the same. No hot rodding until it warms up!

OlDave 03-10-2005 04:29 PM

I changed my gear oil to synthetic. I think it helps, but then again I'm in Florida :-)

intouch 03-10-2005 05:12 PM

Can anything help with this problem?

elwood 03-10-2005 05:21 PM

I have found that if I let the engine warm up about 3 minutes, I have had not problems shifting.

cwdilg 03-10-2005 07:44 PM

It is definitely a warm up situation. Have another sip of coffee and let the seat get warmed up while you wait a few extra minutes.
Chris

rpr1bob 03-10-2005 08:04 PM

After a few thousand miles mine became very exceptable on its own. Just needs a little break in time.
Rpr1bob

Robinhood 03-11-2005 08:04 AM

thanks for the replies guys

hunt416 03-11-2005 11:27 AM

I don't understand how sitting in one spot with the engine running and the trani in neutral can make the transmission oil warmer. Surely not from the residual heat from the engine. And surely neutral doesn't have enough moving parts to make a significant load that would create any amount of heat in the trani. And stop calling me Shirley?

I think you have to get the car moving, and the gears moving to get it to heat up. It takes a minimum of 5 miins of DRIVING before my trani even thinks of loosening up a bit. I doubt sitting in your driveway will make any difference.

Robinhood 03-11-2005 01:40 PM

thanks i think you are right because after shifting a while it smooth out

NJspeed69 03-11-2005 01:58 PM

What I wonder is how much damage we're doing to the tranny before it warms up, and how much its going to cost to fix when something finally breaks.

Robinhood 03-11-2005 03:18 PM

good ? I am going to go to the dealer to fine out

gurutek24 03-11-2005 05:14 PM

We don't have that problem here in Miami.

But i did almost beat the hell out of a valet guy for pulling off my manual gear boot trying to put it in reverse. I literally got into a fight with him because he claimed that it was already broke...it only made me more angry...I think the whole crew tried to keep me from getting loose with this guy. The manager covered the cost of the boot so i was ok at that point.

I mean he pulled the boot completly off!!!

knowit 03-13-2005 08:41 AM

You are going to feel bad, but there is a problem with the stupid plastic nut that holds the shifter on. I have pulled mine off at least five times trying to get it into reverse. There was even a tech bul or something like that on this issue. Dealer will replace the plastic jam nut.

mbepic 03-13-2005 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Robinhood
early in the morning when my car is cold it seem to be hard to get it in gear and that after i let it warm up

Just started my SSB 6spd for the first time in 4months in below freezing temp and after connecting battery, started right up and shifter was as smooth into first and reverse as it was last October. I paid particular attention to this since I have read a number of posts about gear shift problems. I backed out of garage, moved over to other side of driveway and clutch was very smooth as well. After reading about some of these problems, I feel very fortunate to have bought a great car.

Still believe that a lot of the gear shifting problems is related to linkage adjustment.

Bob G 03-13-2005 06:39 PM

mebepic:
Maybe all the good 6 speeds went to Canada?

jmackinjersey 03-14-2005 12:31 AM

Mine has actually gotten harder to shift into gear as time goes by. I have had it in the shop for this time and again and to no avail. the guys tell me that Mercedes Manual transmissions are notorious for this.

This is why they are going to the auto in their top end cars like the SRT-6. They have perfected the Auto trans, Almost bullet proof.

intouch 03-15-2005 05:11 PM

My dealer told me this morning they want to change the trans oil as it may have broken down from sitting so long. Make sense to anyone??
Also, the "certified Crossfire guy" at this dealership said there is a certain group of serial numbers for which there are updated synchronizers...maybe some of you might want to ask your dealer...just FYI.