Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

2006 Base X-fire Flywheel is Toast

Old 02-17-2017, 02:40 PM
jmh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Base X-fire Flywheel is Toast

I'm perhaps making an assumption but I don't think a dual mass flywheel should have axial wobble but mine seems to. So I've been hunting around for prices but not really having luck. Is this just a dealer part?

I suspect I probably did some of the damage pressing the pilot bearing in but it was a bit loose when I pulled it out but took that as a "that's the way it is" not having much reason to think the flywheel would be having issues (under 85K on the car).

So back story is the trani stopped going into any gear. The thinking initally was a clutch issue -- not fully releasing so keeping the input shaft from moving to allow gears to engage. I know I'm wondering if it was the flywheel going bad and creating the problem.

In any case, I suspect I'm putting some money into a flywheel as well as the clutch kit I just got. (And a new set of bolts at about $90 a pack).

Anyone perhaps have good news for me? ;-(

TIA

John

Old 02-17-2017, 02:49 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: 2006 Base X-fire Flywheel is Toast

Could perhaps a machine shop face it ?

Old 02-17-2017, 04:02 PM
jmh

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. "Facing" meaning taking it apart and reassembling so the two parts are playing together again nicely?

Old 02-17-2017, 05:54 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

No, it's like refacing brake rotors.
I have had this done in the past, just not on a 'dual mass' flywheel.
I am not familiar with how those are built.
On a normal iron flywheel, they mount it on a lathe type machine and true the surface with the cutter.
They remove 10 - 30 thousands, up to a limit.

EDIT ! I did some googling, the consensus of opinion is that the entire dual mass assembly be replaced, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and all.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 02-17-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wasn't there someone awhile ago that took a standard flywheel out of a 230 and got a new matching clutch and pressure plate?

Think it was originally done for performance, 230 flywheel, clutch and pressure plate alot lighter than our dual mass setup.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:58 PM
jmh

Quick Update as I just took a better look at things. Pulled the clutch and looked at the flywheel again. Seemed like the entire thing was actually moving do pulled it back off and seems solid. So I took a look at the bolts -- yep, the ones from the parts department were not the same length as the ones I took off. Not sure what's up there are the parts order required the last 6 of the VIN to get the right part.

In any case the new ones were about 20 mm longer than what I removed.

At least I don't think I'm looking for a new DMF any more

I've been told that's a bad idea with the DMF -- too much chance of getting chips/grit between the two sections and it will wear the internals pretty quickly.

Anyhow that's not the problem -- the problem is the internals now see bad and one plate facing the clutch seem to have about 2 degree of wobble, fore-aft while mounted. I've never seen that type of movement on the BMW DMF. At first I thought I had managed to install the flywheel incorrectly and not gotten it flush on the crank.

The flywheel lock tool I made was no longer engaging the teeth but then at the top the teeth were clearly outside of the housing! A light push with my finger and they moved in at the top and outward on the bottom.

Can just imaging what might happen if I actually tried to start the car with that type of movement present.

Last edited by jmh; 02-18-2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Add update
Old 02-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you tak ed any pics?