Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Engine making strange noise?

Old 03-18-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine making strange noise?

I don't know exactly how to describe this noise, but it started not long ago and has not seemed to get any worse yet. It is almost like there is a slight grinding noise or something when the engine runs, and in person it's not too noticeable. When you look at and listen to the engine you can tell it's coming from the belt pulleys/water pump area, but I had my water pump replaced less than 8 months ago. I had a family member who knows practically everything about cars and builds vintage ones from​ scratch as a hobby look at it, and he thinks there might be a problem related to the belt tensioner or the pulleys that the belt is on, but his expertise is in older American made cars and he didn't want to try to work on anything he's not familiar with without being sure of the problem and how to fix it. He also recommended I take it to a mechanic that specializes in foreign makes and see what they say. I thought I would come here first though because I have found the most help from here over anywhere else. My car, by the way, is a 2005 coupe base model. I also took a video of the engine running to see if anyone might can help identify the problem. The video is here:

Old 03-18-2017, 03:01 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Engine making strange noise?

Sorry I don't have audio here. You need to remove the belt and check for play, or roughness in any of your pulleys.

James

Old 03-18-2017, 03:19 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

^^ what James said.
Also check the water pump pulley again for any play up/down, left/right, in/out.
The tensioner pulley and idler pulley should feel slicker than snot on a glass doorknob with the belt off.
It ( gulp ) could be the alternator too, doubtful on the PS pump and A/C pulley.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That sounds like water pump to me, but as they said, just take the belt off and check the idler and tensioner pulley, power steering would have more of a whine, that sounds like water pump impeller or a really really dry and shot bearing on tensioner or idler.

TY for video

Old 03-18-2017, 05:39 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

I'd vote idler pulley or belt tensioner. Both tend to go before 100,000 miles and both SUPER easy to change.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking water pump. Without removing the belt, pull upwards on the water pump pulley

Old 03-19-2017, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
That sounds like water pump to me, but as they said, just take the belt off and check the idler and tensioner pulley, power steering would have more of a whine, that sounds like water pump impeller or a really really dry and shot bearing on tensioner or idler.

TY for video
Do you think there's a chance it could be a power steering issue? I only ask because lately I've noticed sort of a whining sound that comes and goes and it's only if I turn the steering wheel while either not moving or going very slow.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:20 AM

Check the fluid level

Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 AM

I checked the fluids and it did need power steering fluid. I added what it needed yesterday afternoon and the noise when turning the steering wheel is completely gone. However, the noise coming from the belt/water pump area is still there. I checked the pulleys and none of them seem to have any play, although I have not removed the belt yet. I also noticed a crack that runs along the edge of one pulley and took a picture of it. Do you think this will need replacing?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170319_141754.jpg (2.05 MB, 52 views)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Vipor3D
I checked the fluids and it did need power steering fluid. I added what it needed yesterday afternoon and the noise when turning the steering wheel is completely gone. However, the noise coming from the belt/water pump area is still there. I checked the pulleys and none of them seem to have any play, although I have not removed the belt yet. I also noticed a crack that runs along the edge of one pulley and took a picture of it. Do you think this will need replacing?
That I bet is from using a pry bar against the pulley trying to loosen the tensioner.
It can be done carefully without damaging the pulley, but if bar slips trying to get just a little bit more the bar will slip to the side and break a piece off of tensioner pulley, just like that.
Wouldn't hurt to replace it, but I would concentrate on the grinding noise from water pump 1st.
You can run it fine like that, but it might shorten the life of the belt, but you could run a year or two on it if you wanted and kept a eye on belt it every once in awhile, if you need to save up more $$$, but when you ha e belt off is a good time to change.
Glad the power steering pump is good, now time to look for the leak in the power steering system, could just be a fitting on back of the pump.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:30 AM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

pull off the belt, spin each pulley by hand, replace tensioner pulley along with whatever other pulley you find not perfect. the tensioner pulley is about $30, let me know what you find once you pull off the belt and determine what is needed, we can get you all the parts you need

Old 03-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
.....I would concentrate on the grinding noise from water pump 1st.... .....You can run it fine like that, but it might shorten the life of the belt, but you could run a year or two on it if you wanted and kept a eye on belt it every once in awhile.....

OMG WHAT? CHANGE THAT PULLY NOW! If stress cracked it MAY catastrophically fail.....

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
pull off the belt, spin each pulley by hand, replace tensioner pulley along with whatever other pulley you find not perfect.

Much better (as expected), exactly what should be done as a minimum!

Old 03-20-2017, 05:03 PM

This must be an '04, only those had the little dampener attached to the tensioner.
Does anyone know if you can replace this with the non-dampener model ?
At any rate, like GG said, replace that pulley ASAP.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:13 PM

Yes I knew I would get all kinds of hate for posting that, but being a flat pulley, and normal driving, and not on a accessory, I have seen them last.
As I said I suggested changing and easy with belt off, but for some ppl cost even small can be a issue, why I said fix the problem that will definitely leave you stranded soon, first.

I got alot of hate from that, so let me ask you this.
How long do you think it will last before giving problems at normal driving?
A week, month, year?
5 miles, 500 miles, 50,000 miles?
And how certain are you about that?

Old 05-10-2018, 07:46 PM

Mine I making the same noise. The water pump was replaced last summer. This sound was coming more from the other side of the engine. We replaced the pulley but the noise continues. It is worse with the AC on. With a stethoscope probe, the mechanic deduced the tensioner is not keeping it tight. Only thing is he couldn't find one to install. I saw a thread mentioned later years didn't have a tensioner. Any suggestions on where to find one or replacing it with a later model?

Old 05-10-2018, 08:47 PM

You had best find a better mechanic if he can't find the tensioner.
ALL years have the tensioner, very early models sometimes also had a shock/strut like thing attached to the tensioner, but it is not needed.
It is the pulley at about 2 oclock from the crank pulley when looking from the front.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:23 AM

Unrelated to the thread, but James1549, what paint do you use for your wheels and stuff? Been thinking about doing the same to my crossfire but couldn't find the perfect color.