TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How do I remove the cigarette lighter?

Old 09-18-2017, 10:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I remove the cigarette lighter?

I can not figure out how to remove the cigarette lighter. Tried looking on internet. I removed the aftermarket stereo, which was a struggle because I did not install it and didn't know how to remove it. Also I removed the 2 screws above the radio (radio aluminum thing was in the way... I tried pulling from the bottom of the radio / hvac bezel and now the bottom is off and can't get it back on and can't remove further....

Help is much appreciated, I really want my cigarette lighter fixed.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Default Re: How do I remove the cigarette lighter?

Daily bump!
I have the radio out, and remove the shifter bezel. Removed the 2 screws above the radio. Not sure hot to remove the hvac and radio bezel and also can't remove the ash tray.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are 2 screws in where you pulled the radio out of. The ashtray , air bag light an CIG lighter all come out as 1 unit.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:35 PM

I removed the 2 screws where above the radio slot. It's still held in really good. I tried pulling from the bottom and it is just still held in.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:16 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

This thread reminds me that I have to write a PDF showing the removal of the dash trim and lighter/ashtray/airbag light assembly. This will be a part of my planned double din installation. Got the pictures and the spare parts to clearly show how it is done, no time to do it.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
This thread reminds me that I have to write a PDF showing the removal of the dash trim and lighter/ashtray/airbag light assembly. This will be a part of my planned double din installation. Got the pictures and the spare parts to clearly show how it is done, no time to do it.
I would be super happy if you could show me! Can you explain how to remove the ash tray, and radio/hvac surround bezel?

Old 09-20-2017, 04:05 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by dylan07
I would be super happy if you could show me! Can you explain how to remove the ash tray, and radio/hvac surround bezel?
These may help some.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XFire Service_AshTrayRemoval.pdf (121.5 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-20-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
These may help some.
That should do it.
The ash tray assembly removal is the hard part and not as easy as they say it is.
It does not just pull out.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-20-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the entire center portion of my dash out earlier this year. In spite of everything I read and everything I tried, I was never able to remove the part with the ashtray and cigarette lighter. Supposedly you can work it out by moving it to the left and popping the right side out. No dice for me. Could never move it in any direction enough to get any part of it out.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Joliet John
I had the entire center portion of my dash out earlier this year. In spite of everything I read and everything I tried, I was never able to remove the part with the ashtray and cigarette lighter. Supposedly you can work it out by moving it to the left and popping the right side out. No dice for me. Could never move it in any direction enough to get any part of it out.
I have a spare front console with the face plates and the lighter/ash tray section and I tried to get the lighter/ash tray section out. I found that if you moved it to the left and pushed the right hand side of the console to the right you could get the clearance required to move the right hand side of the lighter/ash tray assembly IN not out. When the whole assembly is inside you can rotate it so that the ash tray portion is down with the assembly diagonal, tilt the lighter end out and the assembly can then be twisted back horizontal and out.
I forgot, you have to remove radio bezel, the shifter bezel and then the four screws first though.
Upon trying this removal using my dummy set up, you may not have to remove the shifter bezel, be careful you do not scratch it though.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-06-2017 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Orientation of the assembly was given wrongly.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So, I downloaded the files and read post 7 and after & I still didn’t see a safe way to remove the console. I’m afraid of scratching the bezel. I watched a video on YouTube that suggested removing the radio. Any idea if that helps? If so then it showed a couple of keys being used to remove it. Where do you get these keys?

Old 03-25-2022, 03:08 AM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

My double din radio install thread has pictures that might help.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...adventure.html

The following users liked this post:
Brian P (03-25-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 05:35 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m going to replace my cigarette lighter with a USB power source today. Is it obvious what positive & negative are for the unit in the car? There’s apparently also a light in the ashtray that I believe is blown; does anyone know the part number so I can get one at my local auto parts store? I’ll do a separate search for a good replacement radio. Thanks everyone.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Brian P
I’m going to replace my cigarette lighter with a USB power source today. Is it obvious what positive & negative are for the unit in the car? There’s apparently also a light in the ashtray that I believe is blown; does anyone know the part number so I can get one at my local auto parts store? I’ll do a separate search for a good replacement radio. Thanks everyone.
Take the cigarette lighter/ashtray unit out of the front console.
Slide the white connector sideways and push and wiggle the cigarette lighter out from behind.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-02-2022 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:20 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

Brian, there is a plug-in module that (some) has 2 USB connectors in it. Many have one USB connectors but some have 2. More easily done if it is just plugged into the cig lighter socket.

Brian P (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 12:58 PM

My bulb says on it ;
OS n3U,
12/1.2

This is 12 volt, 1.2 watt.
It is the same size as bulb #286, a wedge bulb, mini base.
The LED bulb appears to be a #T5-286

Brian P (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 01:59 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
My double din radio install thread has pictures that might help.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...adventure.html
Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Brian, there is a plug-in module that (some) has 2 USB connectors in it. Many have one USB connectors but some have 2. More easily done if it is just plugged into the cig lighter socket.

You can get just about any configuration you need.
CLICK"><span style=CLICK" /> CLICK">CLICK

Old 12-21-2023, 01:44 PM
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I followed this ashtray removal thread here to be able to remove the ashtray and fix it.

Step 1 should be removal of the shifter bezel. I can't get that far.

Step 2 is remove the radio. No problem.

Step 3 remove the 2 screws just above the radio, holding the bezel in.

Step 4 remove the hvac bezel. I can't get this out.

Step 5 remove the four screws holding the ashtray / cigar lighter / passenger airbag light.

Step 6 remove the ashtray / cigar lighter / passenger airbag light. This look tough. Haven't got there.

So apparently at the factory, they start with the ashtray and build the car around it.

Is there anyone in Houston Texas that has done this to their car? I really hate my broken ashtray.

Old 12-22-2023, 09:18 AM
Received 342 Likes on 302 Posts

Go to your computer and enter "Chrysler Crossfire How To Remove Ash Tray Assembly From Center Console" and watch the detailed video.

Old 12-22-2023, 10:03 AM
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Go to your computer and enter "Chrysler Crossfire How To Remove Ash Tray Assembly From Center Console" and watch the detailed video.
You mean the salvage yard video? If so, I've seen it. I've tried, but I feel like I'm going to break something. I had it part of the way, but gave up because I am terrified of breaking my car.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the cigarette lighter?