Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Gas smell coming from the outside

Old 04-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Gas smell coming from the outside

Hi folks!

I noticed an issue that might not be good lol! Whenever I roll down the window I get a strong gas vapor smell sometimes more sometimes less into the car. I vaguely remember stumbling over a thread talking about the possibility of gas hoses getting brtitle and drops of gas spilling into the back of the car and even under the passenger seat. I don't think that is the case as it will only smell when the window gets rolled down. It is coming from the outside perhaps the exhaust tip? I haven't been able to investigate as I just noticed it.
Any input or ideas would be appreciated. I really hope my cat converter isn't shot! What could be the cause? Was the wrong oil used in this car? I have had my oil changed with MB certified brands most of the time Mobil 1 but went with Castrol a couple of times...always from the MBA certified list but who knows ifor someone used the wrong stuff. I sure hope not of course.
thanks for your input folks!

Nick

Old 04-01-2018, 12:53 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Gas smell coming from the outside

Check the fuel filter and fuel pump hoses inside the plastic cover between the passenger seat position and the rear wheel under the car. The ethanol can deteriorate these hoses.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:11 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Hi folks!

I noticed an issue that might not be good lol! Whenever I roll down the window I get a strong gas vapor smell sometimes more sometimes less into the car. I vaguely remember stumbling over a thread talking about the possibility of gas hoses getting brtitle and drops of gas spilling into the back of the car and even under the passenger seat. I don't think that is the case as it will only smell when the window gets rolled down. It is coming from the outside perhaps the exhaust tip? I haven't been able to investigate as I just noticed it.
Any input or ideas would be appreciated. I really hope my cat converter isn't shot! What could be the cause? Was the wrong oil used in this car? I have had my oil changed with MB certified brands most of the time Mobil 1 but went with Castrol a couple of times...always from the MBA certified list but who knows ifor someone used the wrong stuff. I sure hope not of course.
thanks for your input folks!

Nick
Any gassy smells coming from the direction of the passenger seat makes me wonder what they have been eating. I politely ask them to lower their window.
I think you misread the post you refer to. Brittle hoses are sometimes found under the car, on the passenger side and close to the fuel pump and fuel filter. Fuel spillage into the car could come from the fuel filler hose or the fuel tank cap with the level sensor in lt.
Outside the car I guess the smell severity might depend on the wind direction if you had a leak around the pump/filter area.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:39 AM
Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks for both of your ideas. You see, I suspected the passenger rather than the car untill I rolled down the window and it hit me 10 fold.
ii wil have to start with the hoses. Now, could it be an oil leak, too? I'd assume it would smell similar and would then obviously come from the front? It's hard to pinpoint it down so far from just driving around so far.
I have enjoyed reading both of your posts on the forum for years and so I figured I'd ask what is common on those cars in respect to gas/oil leaks as well. Will be back a bit later but thanks for all the help!

Old 04-02-2018, 07:53 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

So you get the smell when driving around or stopped?
if stopped, I would take the plastic cover off under back your car, beside the passenger get rear tire, or shine a light and look on top of the bottom of the plastic cover.
if while moving, I would check the test port on the fuel rail and make sure the valve stem is good and it has its cap.
or if you think a oily smell, then see if valve cover gasket leaking some and getting oil on the header.
​​​​​​

Old 05-08-2018, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar experience last fall. Mine was the fuel pump itself was leaking thru the seals of the housing. New pump from RockAuto fixed the issue and since I was there, I changed the filter and all the hoses.