Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New SREEM pricing make me want to Scream!!

Old 10-10-2018, 04:34 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: New SREEM pricing make me want to Scream!!

Originally Posted by Padgett
Suspect it took a DAS/STAR or something similar to initialize it. Could you send me the link please ?
Hi Padgett

Here's what I know about the Skreem and ECU (PTCM).
  • The ECU doesn't care what VIN number you put in it. It can be changed without effecting the Skreem.
  • The ECU contains a serial number that the Skreem checks and if it's OK, the Skreem lets the ECU start the engine (you can monitor the status in Star). IE. I think they both have that same serial number in them.
  • The NA and SRT6 ECU's have different circuit boards and the memory addressing for the serial number is slightly different, but they work with the Skreem the same way.
  • These ECU's can be virginised and mated to another Skreem easily, in fact I've even mated one to a later model mercedes electronic ignition switch. The easiest method is to put the matching serial number in the ECU, then you don't even have to virginise it.
  • I have access to a number of IMMO OFF forums and (as far as I know) there was never any IMMO OFF solution (IMMO emmulator solution) developed for this ECU as it could be easily virginised, there was no need to defeat the immobiliser.
  • The problem is that now the Skreems are failing, there probably is a need. As I've stated above, Star can read and display the ECU start (Drive Authorization) status and I think it's reading it from a memory location within the ECU. If it is and the address can be determined, it might be possible to permanently write a value to this address and disconnect the Skreem from the ECU CAN bus? That way all the door locks work and the engine will start. Just my thoughts.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW there may be a light at the end to the tunnel. Hope this keeps up and someone finds a solution.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:26 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The more electronics we can get ride of that we don't really need, the closer and closer we can get to being able to get the electronics done better and being able to have alot more engine swaps.
because anytime anyone wants to do a swap, it is either they have to figure it all out for themselves or pay to have someone else do it.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CL770
Hi Padgett

Here's what I know about the Skreem and ECU (PTCM).
  • The ECU doesn't care what VIN number you put in it. It can be changed without effecting the Skreem.
  • The ECU contains a serial number that the Skreem checks and if it's OK, the Skreem lets the ECU start the engine (you can monitor the status in Star). IE. I think they both have that same serial number in them.
  • The NA and SRT6 ECU's have different circuit boards and the memory addressing for the serial number is slightly different, but they work with the Skreem the same way.
  • These ECU's can be virginised and mated to another Skreem easily, in fact I've even mated one to a later model mercedes electronic ignition switch. The easiest method is to put the matching serial number in the ECU, then you don't even have to virginise it.
  • I have access to a number of IMMO OFF forums and (as far as I know) there was never any IMMO OFF solution (IMMO emmulator solution) developed for this ECU as it could be easily virginised, there was no need to defeat the immobiliser.
  • The problem is that now the Skreems are failing, there probably is a need. As I've stated above, Star can read and display the ECU start (Drive Authorization) status and I think it's reading it from a memory location within the ECU. If it is and the address can be determined, it might be possible to permanently write a value to this address and disconnect the Skreem from the ECU CAN bus? That way all the door locks work and the engine will start. Just my thoughts.
I certainly hope this issue can be dealt with in the event mine would go bad.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:24 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Go look at the price of a key now.. Mercedes has shafted us all..
Mercedes? The keys are sitting in a warehouse waiting to be ordered, all cars were made with 6 keys.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:42 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Mercedes? The keys are sitting in a warehouse waiting to be ordered, all cars were made with 6 keys.
Where did you get that idea? The ECU could take up to six differently programmed keys at one time is the way I remember it.
In this day and age nobody is going to put four extra keys in a warehouse in the hope that someone will order them, when a blank key could be programmed to order.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

Where did you get that idea?
Rob said it at Woodward. If my memory on the specific number is incorrect he can correct me.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:58 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w16...now-about.html

Old 10-11-2018, 11:15 AM

Rob said it at Woodward. If my memory on the specific number is incorrect he can correct me.
So according to MrMs post the number is eight not six.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

Lets not let this string die. We all my need a solution to this issue one day.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:37 PM

So according to MrMs post the number is eight not six.
counting the 2 that came with the car leaving 6 in the warehouse?

Old 10-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't forget the SKREEM also handle the remote fob so to lock or unlock the doors so to have that work you need a remote module. The R170 in the part number means it was used in an SLK230, and also from 2000-2004, a SLK230, 320, and 32 AMG. The fobics for those MBs and the Crossfires are the same.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:33 PM

Good point.
I am afraid of lost key. i am going to have to eat this one

Old 10-11-2018, 11:10 PM

counting the 2 that came with the car leaving 6 in the warehouse?
The warehouse has only blanks, who in their right mind would make 6 x 70 odd thousand keys or chips and store them on the off chance that they might be needed. That person would not keep their job for long after a decision like that.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:11 AM

Per a post in the SKREEM Options post. "
Originally Posted by ala_xfire I am in contact with Kasey at ModuleGods in Florida.
He says if we would send him a working set of SKREEM, PTCM and keyfob he can decode what needs to be reprogrammed in the PTCM to bypass the startup procedure.
( disable the SKREEM entirely )
Once that is done, all that needs to be sent to him is your PTCM, cost will be in the $200 range.
I have yet to find a volunteer to supply the 3 components - I can only assume there is a chance he might brick the PTCM.
Anyone want to play ????????
This sounds like a good path of follow, checkout that thread

Old 10-12-2018, 11:18 AM

The warehouse has only blanks, who in their right mind would make 6 x 70 odd thousand keys or chips and store them on the off chance that they might be needed. That person would not keep their job for long after a decision like that.
I only repeated what he said.

Are you saying dam/chry kept all of the programming capabilities and machinery to manufacture a key if one is ordered today 20 years after it's original design?

Old 10-12-2018, 12:09 PM

I only repeated what he said.

Are you saying dam/chry kept all of the programming capabilities and machinery to manufacture a key if one is ordered today 20 years after it's original design?
Your idea of a warehouse filled with keys for Mercedes keys, six keys per car is a bit far fetched. Would Ford, Chrysler etc all have keys stored in warehouses when a computer could house all the info required for millions and millions of cars.
The machinery you mention is not exactly a rare item and certainly not made specifically for MB.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:04 PM

Yes, that is how I am feeling. $660 was best price i could find-on line.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:29 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is one possible option for anyone who only has one key, and does not want to pay the price for a new one. Remove the transponder chip from the key fob and fasten it into a used security antenna ring, put it into a container, and secure it under the dash somewhere. Of course you would need to plug this antenna ring into the SKREEM. You then buy any number of aftermarket key fobs and have them cut to match your last key.

Here is a mock up of what I'm talking about. I used clear tape to show the security chip in place.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 132 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Yes but at what point can you no longer afford to drive them?
I've got an old Dodge pickup that just keeps chugging along. It is bone-simple and they made millions so it's both cheap & easy to fix. I don't like it but I respect it for what it is and I can't tell you how many "sunny-day" vehicles have come & gone while it reports for duty even though there might be a hurricane outside! At 140K the automatic tranny will eventually do it in because even putting in a junker unit is more than it's worth.

Quick Reply: New SREEM pricing make me want to Scream!!