Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire Ignition Switch

Old 06-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Crossfire Ignition Switch

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a problem with their ignition switch? It's always been kind of hard to turn my key in the ignition...well it got much worse a few weeks ago...to the point of where the key wouldn't turn at all...unless you jammed it in a few times. Well, I took it to Chrysler where it took two entire weeks to get a new part in. I just got my car back on Thursday and today when I put the key in the ignition it wouldn't turn AT ALL. I had to have a tow truck come pick it up and the truck driver told me that he has had to pick up 40+ Chrysler vehicles with this same problem and he thought there needed to be some sort of recall.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Default Re: Crossfire Ignition Switch

Did you try moving the steering wheel when you are having this key problem?

There is a lockout in the steering wheel so that steering wheel locks in place when the key is out of the ignition (this is pretty much standard). Sometimes on some cars, you cannot turn the key if there is tension on the steering wheel...

Do you use the steering when to pull yourself out of the car, thus "Locking" the steering by applying torque to the wheel?

Additionally, when you park the car is it on FLAT ground or is there an angle or incline in the typical parking space? Reason I ask, is that if there is an angle, then the terrain will keep pressure or torque on the front tires and thus keep the locking mechanism under strain so that the key lock appears hard to turn.

Any or all of these things can be the culprit...

Give that a try...

Last edited by REDSC400; 06-22-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Forum Regular

This happens to me very often. Always, to be honest. Because I'm tall I kick the steering wheel with my knee while getting off the car. And then the steering wheel locks, almost unnoticeable.
It's only the steering that moves a little bit, not the tires. Therefore there's pressure applied from the steering column to its lock. So you can't easily turn the key. (oh boy, I hope you understand what I mean... )

X-Fire04: Like REDSC400 wrote, try to turn the key while moving the steering wheel slightly to both sides to release the mechanical pressure and to unlock it.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:08 PM

I wish the problem were that easy guys....There is seriously something wrong with the ignition switch/lock. The dealership had it for two weeks the first time while waiting on the part to come in. I had it for four days before it did the same thing. This time they are ordering like four new parts that make up the entire 'ignition switch' and replacing everything... they said it could take up to two weeks to get the part in from Germany. He said that 28 people in the United States were waiting on this part and that I was #3 on the list...wouldn't that be a RED FLAG that there is something very wrong with this part??? The dealership is going to have my car for an entire month when they are through with this.... I feel as though I've purchased a lemon. The dealership is calling around to all Chryslers to see if anyone else has this problem...and the car isn't even mobile b/c the wheel is locked so tightly... it will not move at all and the mechanics are having a very hard time trying to unlock it. I love the crossfire and all, but I'm about ready to trade it in, that is, if it ever starts again.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:39 PM

This is what has happened to me several times..

- I move the key position from "running" to "accessory". I then attempt to start the car. The key will not move. I must rotate the key fully to it's "remove" position (counter clockwise) first before it will rotate clockwise to start the car.

When I went to pick up the car this happened also. The Sales Rep was no help, much to his embarrassment . He called out a tech who turned the key counter clockwise then clockwise.

Probably not your problem but it's worth mentioning.

Old 06-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dadof4
This is what has happened to me several times..

- I move the key position from "running" to "accessory". I then attempt to start the car. The key will not move. I must rotate the key fully to it's "remove" position (counter clockwise) first before it will rotate clockwise to start the car.

When I went to pick up the car this happened also. The Sales Rep was no help, much to his embarrassment . He called out a tech who turned the key counter clockwise then clockwise.

Probably not your problem but it's worth mentioning.
That's normal. The car is equipped with a kind of security system that you can not restart unless you turn the key all the way back to OFF.
Strange kind of security... but it is like this.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think GoodEnough got hers replaced with a new car 2006 crossfire under the Calf. lemon law!

Old 06-29-2005, 09:06 PM

That's right fellas.

Two weeks to get your parts? That's great! Mine...twice that. I was told that the keys are VIN specific & have to come from an independent vendor in Germany & the service departments can't call the vendor directly to get updates or eta's.

Yeah. I had to get my car towed too. The tow truck driver smashed the front end of my car into the driveway when he was backing into the service area. So after the car sat in the ready lane for over 30 days waiting to get the ignition fixed... it had to go to the body shop to fix the front end. Good Times!

Now... I get to order an '06 replacement! I didn't think I could get the bad taste out of my mouth, but the '06 will sure help.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope you get great rentals to take out your frustrations.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:19 PM

The dealership told me two weeks minimum for that ignition lock part... but it is also coming from Germany...so i don't see how I'm going to get it that quick. How did you get to order a new crossfire? I'm not sure what texas lemon laws are...but i do know that this is the second time the ignition switch has gone out and by the time i get the car back it will be over a month in the shop. i bought the vehicle used with an 'as-is' warranty (yeah, i'm kicking myself for that now) so, i don't think i can hold them liable. I still have the factory warranty...thank God... Chrysler has apologized numerous times that the car had to go back in the shop and they are paying for my 4 door family car, Honda Accord... but they still have no idea when I'll be able to get my car back. Funny how you mentioned your tow truck driver was so bad...after waiting two hours mine got there and said since he has a flatbed he couldn't lift it with the wheels locked so someone else would have to come out with go-jacks for the rear wheels... well five hours later a 60 year old man showed up to haul it off... i just want my car back...in working condition...if that can't be done then i want to sign up for a replacement. I just find it crazy that no recall has been issued?!?!??!

Old 07-05-2005, 08:14 PM

PLEASE HELP!!!!

My car has now been in the shop for 31 days. I call and speak to the general manager every day. Quick background, they had it for two weeks, got a new part in and I got the car back and had it for FOUR days before it broke again and they had to tow the thing to the dealership. The dealership is giving me the run around telling me they keep calling Chrysler and the part from Germany isn't able to be tracked and that it maybe this week or next (heard this about a month ago). I'm paying almost 600 bucks a month for a crossfire and I'm driving a honda accord, that I can't drive more than 50 miles a day on (per Enterprise)!!!!!!I looked up texas lemon laws but I hear that only applies to new vehicles. I purchased mine used and it still has the Chrysler warranty.... What should I do???? I'm getting royally screwed here.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Default Re: Crossfire Ignition Switch Need Some Advice!

PLEASE HELP!!!

My car has now been in the shop for 31 days. I call and speak to the general manager every day. Quick background, they had it for two weeks, got a new part in and I got the car back and had it for FOUR days before it broke again and they had to tow the thing to the dealership. The dealership is giving me the run around, telling me they keep calling Chrysler and the part from Germany isn't able to be tracked and that it maybe this week or next (heard this about a month ago). I'm paying almost $600 bucks a month for a crossfire and I'm driving a honda accord, that I can't drive more than 50 miles a day on (per Enterprise)!!! I looked up texas lemon laws but I hear that only applies to new vehicles. I purchased mine used and it still has the Chrysler warranty... What should I do??? I'm getting royally screwed here.

Old 07-05-2005, 10:42 PM

I am also in the DFW area, and rent from Enterprise on a regular basis for work. They have an unlimited mileage policy if you drive the car in Texas, and into any state touching Texas.

Call them on their 50 mile limit. My previous car was a Pontiac, and the dealer in Minneapolis also used Enterprise... again no limits on mileage.

Who is your dealer, so I can avoid them? I purchased the car from Huffine's in Denton, and so far, I am very pleased with their work, both on the XFire (only an oil change so far) and our Jeep Liberty.

Best of luck!

John

Old 07-06-2005, 01:30 AM

The dealership is Huffines Chrysler in Plano, maybe I should have taken it to the one in Denton. :-)

Old 07-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Forum Regular

I don't think you have to buy the car new for Texas lemon laws to apply. According to the statute,

(2) "Owner" means a person who:
(A) purchased a motor vehicle at retail from a license holder and is entitled to enforce a manufacturer's warranty with respect to the vehicle;

If you bought it from a dealer and it still has the new car warranty, then you should qualify. However, the time limit for the car being out of operation doesn't count if you have a loaner car. So until they have attempted to fix it four times, you probably don't have a lemon law case.
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/mvd/lemon/statute.htm

Old 08-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Forum Regular

Any out come on this situation?

Old 09-01-2005, 05:57 PM

Well, I was told I was getting a new '06 for my ignition problems that turned into a Lemon Law situation. They haven't started making the '06's yet!!!
Aug 28, 2004 I bought my car.
Aug 30, 2004 it was in the shop for 40+ days.
No replacement yet.
I'll be patient for the '06. I still think it's a good deal for me.
Stay tuned.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard they may not make them (06's)!!!

Old 09-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Forum Regular

:sigh: yes they are.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Default Re: Crossfire Ignition Switch (Don't Give Up) Call Chrysler and Complain

Don't give up on your Ignition Switch Problem Call Chrysler Complaints Division @ 1-800-247-9753 and ask for a Guy named Zachary...He is handeling my claim against Chrysler. I have an 05 Limited Roadster with 55K miles just out of warrenty but the repair for replacing the switch was $650 parts and labor. He has agreed to make me pay only $200 for the repair saving me $450 dollars. Hope this will help someone with switch problems. This should have been a RECALL but I think so few people have complained to Chrysler...They told me they had very few complaints on this issue...

Old 08-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire Ignition Switch (Don't Give Up) Call Chrysler and Complain

Originally Posted by dkriegh
Don't give up on your Ignition Switch Problem Call Chrysler Complaints Division @ 1-800-247-9753 and ask for a Guy named Zachary...He is handeling my claim against Chrysler. I have an 05 Limited Roadster with 55K miles just out of warrenty but the repair for replacing the switch was $650 parts and labor. He has agreed to make me pay only $200 for the repair saving me $450 dollars. Hope this will help someone with switch problems. This should have been a RECALL but I think so few people have complained to Chrysler...They told me they had very few complaints on this issue...
This is a five year old thread and a lot has been learned since those days.

Quick Reply: Crossfire Ignition Switch