Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

Michigan GTG/CRUISE - After the Dream Cruise 2011

Old 05-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michigan GTG/CRUISE - After the Dream Cruise 2011

Would like to plan a trip again across Michigan on Sunday,August 21, 2011...anyone that is interested in traviling with us please let me know and I will add you to the list....we will go up the westside of the state along Lake Michigan. Any suggestions would be appreicated as to special highlights to visit. Judi (msgump)

Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts
Default re: Michigan GTG/CRUISE --After the Dream Cruise 2011

Judi asked me to keep track of the responses here and maintain a list for this GTG/Cruise

msgump
harbor
James1549
danimal
Wolverine

Also some of the spots suggested as attractions listed below if time allows

Saugatuck Dune Rides -- map
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (U.S. National Park Service) -- map

Last edited by Valk; 07-15-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default re: Michigan GTG/CRUISE --After the Dream Cruise 2011

Judi - Add Karen & I to the list.
Last years trip was a blast.
Thanks for setting this up.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts
Default Re: Michigan GTG/CRUISE - After the Dream Cruise 2011

I might take the long way back to Chi-town and run across to the west side of Michigan and then run south along the lake.
I do need to be back home in Chi-town on Sunday though.

It will depend on your route plan I guess.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Count us in again... great time and sights

Old 05-03-2011, 07:03 PM

If time allows us...

Saugatuck Dune Rides

Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in....add me to the list.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:59 PM

Dan, glad to have you!

Also discussed previous, but might be too far out of the way:

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 05-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in!

I am not sure how far everyone wants to go... M-22 is a beautiful route and would drop us off right by Sleeping Bear Dunes. M-119 is a little further north but is well worth the drive.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Any idea on how many days and where we are going to end up? Just trying to plan for the trip as well as get my vacation time approved at work.

Also, are we heading out on Sunday or Monday so that I know how long to make my hotel reservations for @ Auburn Hills?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Forum Regular

We will head out on Sunday morning....last year we headed back home on Wednesday but everyone might have different ideas...or plans. Not sure what everyone's time frame will be but would like to hear from others about that. Last year I was broke and ready for my own bed by Wednesday...if that helps!!

Originally Posted by danimal
Any idea on how many days and where we are going to end up? Just trying to plan for the trip as well as get my vacation time approved at work.

Also, are we heading out on Sunday or Monday so that I know how long to make my hotel reservations for @ Auburn Hills?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:02 AM

I have no schedule to be home by...

James

Old 05-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Forum Regular

Well that is what happens I guess when you retire.....hope to find out one day....

Originally Posted by James1549
I have no schedule to be home by...

James

Old 06-05-2011, 08:09 PM

So I am working on putting together a possible route... I was thinking Sunday morning head to Grand Heaven for lunch (it wouldn't be too far out of the way so maybe Gary could join us) and start the trip up the lake there. First night somewhere around Ludington... We would miss the the Sagatuck dune rides but they do have dune rides at Silver Lake by Ludington (if you're up for it you can also rent your own 4 wheeler or dune buggy and drive yourself... Its a real blast!)

From Ludington I was thinking head up M-22 to Sleeping Bear Dunes, there is a real nice 7 mile scenic drive that costs $5. If I remember correctly there are a couple places we could pull off and get some photos with all the cars and the lake. After the dunes continue on M-22 around the peninsula and spend Monday night in Traverse City.

Tuesday take 31 up through Harbor Springs, jump on M-119 and drive the 23 miles of the Tunnel of Trees. For lunch I was thinking Leggs in, they serve Polish food and have outdoor seating on Lake Michigan. After lunch we could make Mackinaw in short order, we could either stay there for the night or continue up to Sault St. Marie or the Pictured Rocks.

On the way home we could take 75 and maybe have one last stop in Frankenmuth for lunch. Dan, if you still wanted to visit your friend in Saginaw you would be about 20 minutes away.

I am working on putting together a map with possible stops on it. This is just my idea to get the conversation started, I would love to hear what everyone else's thoughts are.

Last edited by Wolverine; 06-05-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Tuesday take 31 up through Harbor Springs, jump on M-119 and drive the 23 miles of the Tunnel of Trees. For lunch I was thinking Leggs in, they serve Polish food and have outdoor seating on Lake Michigan. After lunch we could make Mackinaw in short order, we could either stay there for the night or continue up to Sault St. Marie or the Pictured Rocks.

On the way home we could take 75 and maybe have one last stop in Frankenmuth for lunch.
We did all this last year. Judi's favorite stop is Goodhart, MI. She has a real nice friend that runs the town general store

Old 06-06-2011, 08:42 AM

I have never been to Goodhart... it looks like it is somewhere between Cross Village and Mackinac?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 AM

You may have been there and didn't know it. It is just a general store on the south side of Tunnel of Trees. Judi can tell you more about it. James

Judi, what was the name of the "pot pies" you gals bought and ate at Good Hart?

Last edited by James1549; 06-06-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 AM

I must have looked at the map wrong, I thought it was north of the Tunnel of Trees. You are right I probably have driven right through it and had no idea!

Old 06-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Forum Regular

I don't remember, unless they were pasties.....but they had lots of nice stuff in that little store...yes we must stop and visit there for sure...

Originally Posted by James1549
You may have been there and didn't know it. It is just a general store on the south side of Tunnel of Trees. Judi can tell you more about it. James

Judi, what was the name of the "pot pies" you gals bought and ate at Good Hart?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks TJ for putting this together and it is similar to where we drove last year but it was very nice....although you are taking us through the Ludington, Grand Haven area that we did not drive before...and we did not do the dunes...so that would be something new...not sure if anyone wants to do over the bridge again....but it is nice to do...so I don't mind doing that....what does everyone else think??? How about doing a winery, we didn't do that last year....??

Originally Posted by Wolverine
So I am working on putting together a possible route... I was thinking Sunday morning head to Grand Heaven for lunch (it wouldn't be too far out of the way so maybe Gary could join us) and start the trip up the lake there. First night somewhere around Ludington... We would miss the the Sagatuck dune rides but they do have dune rides at Silver Lake by Ludington (if you're up for it you can also rent your own 4 wheeler or dune buggy and drive yourself... Its a real blast!)

From Ludington I was thinking head up M-22 to Sleeping Bear Dunes, there is a real nice 7 mile scenic drive that costs $5. If I remember correctly there are a couple places we could pull off and get some photos with all the cars and the lake. After the dunes continue on M-22 around the peninsula and spend Monday night in Traverse City.

On the way home we could take 75 and maybe have one last stop in Frankenmuth for lunch. Dan, if you still wanted to visit your friend in Saginaw you would be about 20 minutes away.

I am working on putting together a map with possible stops on it. This is just my idea to get the conversation started, I would love to hear what everyone else's thoughts are.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michigan GTG/CRUISE - After the Dream Cruise 2011