CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Roadster (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/)
-   -   Notchy Shifter (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/10634-notchy-shifter.html)

harbor 05-24-2006 06:58 PM

Notchy Shifter

Anyone tried synthetic oil in the 6 speed manual tranny to smooth out the shifts?

Manual calls for 5W-20 oil, and I'm not sure if the factory fill is synthetic or not.

Thanks in advance.

markr6754 05-24-2006 09:25 PM

Re: Notchy Shifter

My tranny shifts so smoothly I hadn't considered changing anything. Smooth as the proverbial baby's behind. That doesn't say I haven't ground a few...but always due to my foot getting ahead of my hand.

danimal 05-25-2006 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by harbor
Anyone tried synthetic oil in the 6 speed manual tranny to smooth out the shifts?

Manual calls for 5W-20 oil, and I'm not sure if the factory fill is synthetic or not.

Thanks in advance.

It is a notchy shifter by design. The slickest stuff in the world is not going to change that. This car was never designed to be a dragster or speed shifter...just a stable handling, high speed cruiser. Of all of those cars that can outrun you at a red light, how many can cruise with you @ 140 mph.

bobs 05-25-2006 10:59 AM

It funny that this thread should crop up because I was going to start one on this very subject. Anyway, here's my $.02:

I have noticed that my shifter has smoothed out considerably as the miles have racked-up. I have just under 27,000 miles on the car and the shifter seems much smoother than I remember it when it was new. I don't have any problems getting it into first or reverse any more either.

danimal 05-25-2006 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by bobs
I have noticed that my shifter has smoothed out considerably as the miles have racked-up. I have just under 27,000 miles on the car and the shifter seems much smoother than I remember it when it was new. I don't have any problems getting it into first or reverse any more either.

bobs, I only have 5k on mine but it too, seems a little better than when new. I have to wonder whether it is just me getting used to the idiosyncrasy of the thing, or if it really is "getting the edges knocked off."

dobro 05-25-2006 01:30 PM

Mine balks going in to first. Always has, still does.* It feels like something is blocking the path, then, mysteriously, the resistance disappears and she clicks home.

*14,000 miles

bobs 05-25-2006 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by danimal
bobs, I only 5k on mine but it too, seems a little better than when new. I have to wonder whether it is just me getting used to the idiosyncrasy of the thing, or if it really is "getting the edges knocked off."

It may be a little of both. ;)

markr6754 05-25-2006 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by dobro
Mine balks going in to first. Always has, still does.* It feels like something is blocking the path, then, mysteriously, the resistance disappears and she clicks home.

*14,000 miles

Okay...I get it. Now that you mention it...I have the same "problem". I chalked it up to my recent return to a stick. Reverse is smooth, really smooth. And after the resistance to 1st, which I realized that I have adjusted to by double clutching, I have no trouble at all except for my own timing errors. Compared to most sticks I've driven recently, it is tighter than the others...but I felt the others were too sloppy owing to the mileage on them. I still haven't turned 4,000 miles on Two Harleys...probably this weekend.