Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

changing brake light bulb

Old 05-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing brake light bulb

Somewhere there are engineers laughing...just spent an hour tearing apart my trunk to change a light bulb. Having an access panel to reach the bulbs shouldn't be too much to ask for. Still love the car.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:02 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: changing brake light bulb

I agree, I know these engineers sit around and laugh about how difficult they design their cars for simple maintenance. One of these days I'll meet up with one & kick his ***.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Would you mind sharing what you had to do to access the bulbs? I'm sure there are more of us out here who will need the knowledge at some point. Any short-cuts or "don't do this" would be helpful.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:05 AM

No shortcuts that I know of. Must remove about 10-12 plastic pop rivets that hold the lining of the trunk. Then remove the lining to access the tail light assembly. A mirror made the process of determining the location of the stop lamp assembly easier. After removing the assembly and changing the bulb (while standing on your head), you get to put it all back together again. I'm now waiting for the turn signal bulb to go out in the next couple of days so I can do it all again.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:16 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by glitch1221
No shortcuts that I know of. Must remove about 10-12 plastic pop rivets that hold the lining of the trunk. Then remove the lining to access the tail light assembly. A mirror made the process of determining the location of the stop lamp assembly easier. After removing the assembly and changing the bulb (while standing on your head), you get to put it all back together again. I'm now waiting for the turn signal bulb to go out in the next couple of days so I can do it all again.
It's much easier on the coupe. I think it has a small door by the tail light where you can access the bulbs. On the Roadster, you do have to remove, well I only removed 5 of the fasteners and pulled the lining to access the lights. You should not have to remove the whole assembly, just reach in and twist of the light socket, and replace the bulb.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:24 AM

The owners manual for the '05 Roadster says to open access panel, but in real life there is not one. Guess it was a change from '04. I removed all the rivets to ensure that I was not going to cause an unnatural crease in the cardboard lining by bending it to access the light bulb.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by FP
It's much easier on the coupe. I think it has a small door by the tail light where you can access the bulbs.
Yes it does, and that makes it much, much easier!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:45 PM
FP

Originally Posted by glitch1221
The owners manual for the '05 Roadster says to open access panel, but in real life there is not one. Guess it was a change from '04. I removed all the rivets to ensure that I was not going to cause an unnatural crease in the cardboard lining by bending it to access the light bulb.
There was no Roadster in '04'. They probably just used the coupe's manual and didn't do a good job editing it.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Forum Regular
Angry Re: changing brake light bulb

Those little doors on the coupe aren't so easy to get off. It's easier to push the door in towards the light fixture and then work it out through the opening than it is to follow the what the owners manual saysshich is lift up and pull out. YEA RIGHT!! I ended up cutting about a 1/4 inch off the tabs of the doors so they will be easier to get off the next time. What a pain in the tush!! I think the Roadster has the advantage on this one, even though you have to take out the plastic rivets.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:04 PM
FP

Originally Posted by bigpapapuff
Those little doors on the coupe aren't so easy to get off. It's easier to push the door in towards the light fixture and then work it out through the opening than it is to follow the what the owners manual saysshich is lift up and pull out. YEA RIGHT!! I ended up cutting about a 1/4 inch off the tabs of the doors so they will be easier to get off the next time.
I think BIGPAPA has BIG HANDS, but you know what they say.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: changing brake light bulb

Originally Posted by FP
I think BIGPAPA has BIG HANDS, but you know what they say.
Not even... LOL I'm 4'11 in heels! LOL.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bigpapapuff
Not even... LOL I'm 4'11 in heels! LOL.
A cross dresser???

Old 05-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: changing brake light bulb

Originally Posted by snowtop57
A cross dresser???
If I don't wear heels, then I'm only 4'9! Gosh give me a break!! LOL!

Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 PM

Hey fun seekers......had to replace the back tail light on my alabaster white 05 roadster...logged on to the always useful forum, and found a posting somewhere that suggested you lower the top just to the position where the tonneau cover is vertical and the rest of the top is hovering above the seating area, then look inside and you can see and change the bulb without alll the agony of removing plugs and contorting yourself out of shape to get at it from the trunk........well I at first thought it silly, but I tried it and, guess what, it worked.....so want to thank that Crossfire guy or gal for the suggestion...........oh and someone added that you must complete your replacement within 20 minutes or the top hydraulics start to give out.....that happened to me but didn't create a problem, as soon as it started I put the top up and then lowered it to the above verbalized position, and finished the job.............way easy good luck to all you wonderbar Crossfire people Ron

Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 10-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ron Yorston
Hey fun seekers......had to replace the back tail light on my alabaster white 05 roadster...logged on to the always useful forum, and found a posting somewhere that suggested you lower the top just to the position where the tonneau cover is vertical and the rest of the top is hovering above the seating area, then look inside and you can see and change the bulb without alll the agony of removing plugs and contorting yourself out of shape to get at it from the trunk........well I at first thought it silly, but I tried it and, guess what, it worked.....so want to thank that Crossfire guy or gal for the suggestion...........oh and someone added that you must complete your replacement within 20 minutes or the top hydraulics start to give out.....that happened to me but didn't create a problem, as soon as it started I put the top up and then lowered it to the above verbalized position, and finished the job.............way easy good luck to all you wonderbar Crossfire people Ron
Wow! This is just the information I was looking for! Thanks Ron and anonymous forum contributor that makes a chiropractor's dream into an easy fix. Crossfire Forum again proves invaluable.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Yorston
I had fought with the taillight as well when one day I was detailing the car,so I did the partial top drop,When I noticed hey,I can get to that damn bulb from here! I kicked myself all day for taking so long to realize it could have been so easy all along,I love this little car,but I think I hate it more!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

Why would they give you an access panel when you can get in thru the 'top opening'? I can't believe you people never noticed the opening - how many of us have peered in there to see the level of the fluid?

You have about ten minutes before the hydraulic pressure is released (they do this because leaving the pressure on contributes to leaks, the system was not designed for continuous pressure).

But here is MY COMPLAINT: How do you get the bulb assembly back in? The wires are just to short to easily manipulate the lamp assembly.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy

You have about ten minutes before the hydraulic pressure is released (they do this because leaving the pressure on contributes to leaks, the system was not designed for continuous pressure).
I would not say that, all hydraulic system suffer from leak back, possibly through the pump and definitely through the seal. It is necessary as it lubricates the seal. The fluid pressure makes the seal a tighter fit in the bore and a lack of pressure can allow more leakage.
It depends on the seal design how much it leaks in a given situation, split rings types probably leak most , lip seals probably the least. The surface finish of the bore will be a major factor in the leakage and it will be finished to achieve the best conditions for the seal in use.
The design is quite involved in many applications, hydraulics, pneumatics, vacuum and combinations.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

But why would you leave pressure on the system all the time?

Quick Reply: changing brake light bulb