Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

HELP: Does Lower Mileage Trump Year?

Old 02-28-2009, 08:42 AM
KJN
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP: Does Lower Mileage Trump Year?

Hello all,

I am looking for a limited roadster 05-07. When it comes to value, I understand the model hasn't changed year to year. Should I focus on low miles or year of production. Would a 2005 15,000 be more value than a 2006 with 30,000?

Is this all about warranty? I am just wondering with a 2006 there can't be much warranty left...

Thanxs, KJN

Old 02-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: HELP: Does Lower Mileage Trump Year?

~ i would look for lower mileage and condition imo.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Forum Regular

It would also depend if you are a high or low mileage driver. If you put 40Kmiles a year on a car, then why pay more for an older car with less miles. I agree with Andrew overall condition is more important. Cars on used car lots have been carefully detailed, so you need to look closely and check the Carfax history.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Forum Regular

While total mileage is important, it doesn't tell the whole picture - 15k miles in stop and go traffic is much harder on a car than 30k highway miles.

Overall condition, maintaintenance records, oil changes, minor problems repaired, tires in good condition, paint condition - was it washed and waxed, engine compartment clean, no dents and dings, body seams straight and consistent, drives straight and quiet, shifts smoothly...These are the most important things in my opinion.

I think mileage is given more weight because it is easily measureable, but with the tolerances that engines are manufactured under today, 100k miles is easily achieved and even expected. With proper maintenance, that is.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 05 roadster with 66,000 miles, but it was well maintained and looked brand new not a scratch on it. It was always garaged. It even had a brand new windscreen; just a well taken care of car. It is my daily driver and I just hit 90000. Hopefully one of these days I can pick up another to just sit in the garage. The only things i have had to do to it is tires, oil changes, brakes, I plan on doing a tune up, spark plugs and wires, k&n filters, hoses, belt, n stuff. but to be honest it runs like the day i got her. Mine's all highway miles though.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:30 PM

As far as warranty is conserned, you need to find out the in service date as the duration is calculated from that date not the build date. My 05 has an 07 in service date.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

Simple math would suggest that a low milage '05 would be a better bargain than a high milage '06 or'07.

Condition of the vehicle matters of course. But, given that there simply aren't any serious differences in the cars from year to year*, milage is most definitely more important.

*Except for the '04 models which have some plus's and minus's of their own.

Most of the 07's and 08's are more than a year and a half old now anyway.
a low milage, under 15K, 05 or 06 would be considerably less money. Unless you can find a dealer "giving" a new one away.

Don't laugh, there have been a lot of them. Stay tuned here. It will be posted whenever an Xfire member sees one going out of business or having a fire sale on Xfires. (say that fast three times. I double dog dare ya)

roadster with a stick

Old 02-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Banned

Myself, low miles trumps model year, particularly with the XF. Chrysler produced boatloads (literally) of them in '05 and many of the later models are simply re-VIN'ed vehicles.

Get a low mile-car, don't really care what year, and buy an extended warranty. Add a 3 or 4 year bumper-to-bumper on top of what's left of the original warranty and relax.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dwightdmagee
Chrysler produced boatloads (literally) of them in '05 and many of the later models are simply re-VIN'ed vehicles.
Where exactly did you get "That" information from Dwight?
It's illegal to change a Vehicle Identification Number.
Mr. Shelby tried doing something like that awhile back and got "busted" for it by the "Feds".

Last edited by +fireamx; 03-01-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Where exactly did you get "That" information from Dwight?
It's illegal to change a Vehicle Identification Number.
Mr. Shelby tried doing something like that awhile back and got "busted" for it by the "Feds".
This comes from the chaps at the dealership. Don't '08s have knee bolsters or something below the passenger-side glove box?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Forum Regular

None of these Crossfires were " re-VIN'ed vehicles". This I know for a fact. That is incorrect info.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Cool Re: HELP: Does Lower Mileage Trump Year?

Originally Posted by KJN
Hello all,

I am looking for a limited roadster 05-07. When it comes to value, I understand the model hasn't changed year to year. Should I focus on low miles or year of production. Would a 2005 15,000 be more value than a 2006 with 30,000?

Is this all about warranty? I am just wondering with a 2006 there can't be much warranty left...

Thanxs, KJN
I bought my 05 roadster w/16k on it and 9 months left on the warranty. The rear window was seperating from the top and I was able to get the top replaced under the warranty. The top is an issue for some owners. Be careful to understand the downfalls of getting an older model and the advantages of a warranty. Do your research. I could have been out a lot of money if not covered.
I love my car and I have no more issues. She only has 26k on her and is garage kept. That top should stay looking beautiful for a long time. I would still look at an 05 for the right price, but make sure the top is not going to be replaced out of your pocket.

Cadydid

Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 AM

This comes from the chaps at the dealership. Don't '08s have knee bolsters or something below the passenger-side glove box?
Ah, that explains it.
Dwight, the "dealers" are notorious for being the purveyors of massive amounts of misinformation about the Crossfire.
A "sales manager" at a dealer whose slogan is, [We're the Fred Martin Car Guys, "We Know Cars"] once told me that Chrysler never built any 2007 Crossfires. This was in August of 2007!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Forum Regular

My 2008 was built 10/16/07 . That dealer was full of misinformation.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Forum Regular

It is illegal for any manufacturer to re-vin the car. Now they can stop production runs and build them for the next model year. But cannot re-vin the car.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
None of these Crossfires were " re-VIN'ed vehicles". This I know for a fact. That is incorrect info.
Sorry to disappoint some of you (us), but re-VIN-ing the Crossfire is a fact of life. It happens a lot, subject I suspect to German law. The cars are built and stocked in Germany and are not 'born' until they are assigned an MBO - Manufacture's Bill of Origin. In USA words, sold and titled to a buyer. Until that point in time the car can be assigned a different and new VIN freely. The 2008 you're looking at is the exact same car as the 2005 still gathering dust on the other side of the pond.

True story.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 PM

Sorry to disappoint some of you (us), but re-VIN-ing the Crossfire is a fact of life. It happens a lot, subject I suspect to German law. The cars are built and stocked in Germany and are not 'born' until they are assigned an MBO - Manufacture's Bill of Origin. In USA words, sold and titled to a buyer. Until that point in time the car can be assigned a different and new VIN freely. The 2008 you're looking at is the exact same car as the 2005 still gathering dust on the other side of the pond.

True story.
Again Dwight, I have to ask, where are you getting this information? From the Dealer?
The total number of cars that were built for each year is well documented.
Do you have any idea what exactly would be involved in attempting to Re-vin, or change the Vehicle Identification Number on every car?
The Vin # isn't just on the Dash board, and the drivers door, it's usually "stamped" a couple other places on the cars chassis.
I think your confusing the MBO (MSO in the USA) with Vin#'s and how and when they are assigned.
You're even contradicting yourself. First you mention the 08's have knee bolsters below the glove box. Then you say the 08's are the exactly the same car as the 05's gathering dust in Europe. You can't have it both ways Dwight.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 PM
KJN

Originally Posted by cadydidalot
I bought my 05 roadster w/16k on it and 9 months left on the warranty. The rear window was seperating from the top and I was able to get the top replaced under the warranty. The top is an issue for some owners. Be careful to understand the downfalls of getting an older model and the advantages of a warranty. Do your research. I could have been out a lot of money if not covered.
I love my car and I have no more issues. She only has 26k on her and is garage kept. That top should stay looking beautiful for a long time. I would still look at an 05 for the right price, but make sure the top is not going to be replaced out of your pocket.

Cadydid
I have been thinking a lot about the extended warranty. Sounds like there are many to choose from. One thread suggested going with a Chrysler approved company..but that these can be bought at/from some dealers cheaper than at others. How do you go about finding a good warranty at a decent price?
kjn

Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 AM
Forum Regular

I have seen where the VIN is stamped on the chassis. None of these cars were re-VIN'ed.