Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Black Rub Strip On Tonneau Top Part Number

Old 03-10-2010, 05:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Rub Strip On Tonneau Top Part Number

My Black Rub Strip On Top Of The Tonneau Cover That The Convertible Top Sits On When The Top Is Up Is Worn, And When I Went To My Local Chrysler Dealer They Could Not Find A Part Number In There System. Does Anyone Know The Number. Thanks Bob

Old 03-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Black Rub Strip On Tonneau Top Part Number

I believe its 5104937AA

Old 03-12-2010, 07:19 PM

Do a search for Black Plastic, on 5-5-2008, a member that seemed very knowledgeable said to try Meguire's Gold Class Trim Detail er. I am going to try it on mine as soon as I pick some up. good luck!

Old 03-14-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
Do a search for Black Plastic, on 5-5-2008, a member that seemed very knowledgeable said to try Meguire's Gold Class Trim Detail er. I am going to try it on mine as soon as I pick some up. good luck!
It works, I just put it on for the second time in 3 months of exposure to the Arizona winter.
When I talked to Meguire they said one or two of their techs owned crossfires and said it would work, it did

Old 03-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone DIY'd a replacement of this piece? Mine is just so far gone from sitting on dealer lots for 2 years and it really bugs me. I can make it look halfway decent for short periods of time but that's about it. Heck, the texture on thing even differs from the area protected by the closed roof and the exposed area.

Or...... what are the odds of getting this replaced under warranty? I've still got a few months left on mine.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a link to the part. Mopar Parts for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep: MoparPartsAmerica

I too am interested if anyone has done this as a DIY. I am a bit worried about starting into it, and finding that it is something I cannot finish.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:48 PM

I'm getting ready to go back and have the replacement one replaced, under warranty of course, as this one is starting to wrinkle like the previous. I suspect eventually we'll be stuck without replacements...I may have to consider another approach than the Chrysler one.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by jayaurtherrank
My Black Rub Strip On Top Of The Tonneau Cover That The Convertible Top Sits On When The Top Is Up Is Worn, And When I Went To My Local Chrysler Dealer They Could Not Find A Part Number In There System. Does Anyone Know The Number. Thanks Bob

THANKS IAMFINK2 THE NUMBER 5104937AA YOU GAVE ME WAS CORRECT. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS, IT'S $160 AT THE CHRYSLER DEALER.. I'VE INSTALLED IT AND LOOKS GREAT. MANY THANKS FOR YOU HELP

Old 03-23-2010, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Has anyone DIY'd a replacement of this piece? Mine is just so far gone from sitting on dealer lots for 2 years and it really bugs me. I can make it look halfway decent for short periods of time but that's about it. Heck, the texture on thing even differs from the area protected by the closed roof and the exposed area.

Or...... what are the odds of getting this replaced under warranty? I've still got a few months left on mine.

I'VE JUST CHANGED MINE, IT WAS NOT EASY. FIRST YOU NEED A HAIR DRYER TO HEAT UP THE OLD ONE TO REMOVE IT, THEN DE-GREASE AND CLEAN THE AREA WELL. LAY IT OUT IN POSITION AND TAPE IT DOWN ABOUT EVERY 6". THEN PULL BACK ONE HALF OF THE RUB STRIP TO THE MIDDLE AND SLOWLY PEAL OFF THE BACKING TAPE. LAY IT DOWN SLOWLY RUBBING OUT ALL AIR BUBBLES. WHEN YOU COMPLETED ONE HALF REPEAT THE SAME ON OTHER SIDE. THEN RAISE THE TONNEAU TOP AND TUCK THE EXCESS TAPE UNDER THE COVER... LOOKS GREAT WHEN FINISHED. WHY THEY CHARGE $160 I DO NOT KNOW.. RIPOFF...... THANKS BOB

Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange

Get in there and demand they replace it under warranty if you still have a few months. Ok demand is a bit strong, but go in there and say my strip needs warranty replacement in a matter of fact tone then demand they replace it. Now be careful they know what they are doing, the first time I had mine replaced they had to call in someone and he left dirt under it and they had to replace it again. One would think a body shop even at a dealership could do this right.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know what one would use to dress the seal to make it last a little longer ?

thanks Howard.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by jayaurtherrank
I'VE JUST CHANGED MINE, IT WAS NOT EASY. FIRST YOU NEED A HAIR DRYER TO HEAT UP THE OLD ONE TO REMOVE IT, THEN DE-GREASE AND CLEAN THE AREA WELL. LAY IT OUT IN POSITION AND TAPE IT DOWN ABOUT EVERY 6". THEN PULL BACK ONE HALF OF THE RUB STRIP TO THE MIDDLE AND SLOWLY PEAL OFF THE BACKING TAPE. LAY IT DOWN SLOWLY RUBBING OUT ALL AIR BUBBLES. WHEN YOU COMPLETED ONE HALF REPEAT THE SAME ON OTHER SIDE. THEN RAISE THE TONNEAU TOP AND TUCK THE EXCESS TAPE UNDER THE COVER... LOOKS GREAT WHEN FINISHED. WHY THEY CHARGE $160 I DO NOT KNOW.. RIPOFF...... THANKS BOB
Thanks for the install information. BTW, you could have gotten it from Mopar Parts for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep: MoparPartsAmerica for $104.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 PM

You might want to try Mothers Back to Black on the strip. I use it on mine and brought it back to it's original look. I this helps and you don't need to replace the strip.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have ran without mine for 2 yrs now, with absolutely no problems....I like to show it at car shows, and it looks better without it...I only drive it about 5K a yr though.....

The following users liked this post:
CaughtInaXF (04-17-2023)
Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I have ran without mine for 2 yrs now, with absolutely no problems....I like to show it at car shows, and it looks better without it...I only drive it about 5K a yr though.....
Now that is an interesting idea. Do you have any pics that you can show of it Doc? Thanks

Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
Now that is an interesting idea. Do you have any pics that you can show of it Doc? Thanks
I am not the big picture taker, but I will see what I can do...it looks grt without it...just like my vette with the top down....all paint shinin'

Old 04-03-2010, 09:24 PM

So, it is just a flat panel under the strip? For some reason, I thought there was 2 seperate body panels that this covered, and the strip would have a spline in it that followed the 2 panels. Not sure why I thought that. LOL. So, no problem with paint scratches from the top up?

I may just have to do this. Thanks

Old 04-03-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
So, it is just a flat panel under the strip? For some reason, I thought there was 2 seperate body panels that this covered, and the strip would have a spline in it that followed the 2 panels. Not sure why I thought that. LOL. So, no problem with paint scratches from the top up?

I may just have to do this. Thanks
Not so far, but it mainly sees top down weather....you might if it were an everyday driver....but, it has seen at least 2K with the top up....so, so far so good, it looks much better without it...for the car shows especially....I have a show next week, and will have them both ready by then I hope...

Old 04-03-2010, 10:10 PM

About the only time mine sees the top up is 1/4 mile at a time, and that is only because I have to. Ok, I am convinced. Mine is coming off tomorrow. Thanks so much. It has been bugging the hell out of me with the sun fading.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:01 AM

I could not wait until tomorrow. I got the heat gun out, and went to town. I was shocked that the trim tape is just that....tape. Dang, I think electrical tape is a bit thicker than this stuff. It is ridiculous to charge so much, for a strip of thin *** tape. Anyway, I need to do some buffing, but here are a couple pics with the tape off. I do like it much better without the tape. Thanks Doc for sharing the idea.

IMG_40225.jpg

IMG_40214.jpg

IMG_40181.jpg

Last edited by bmorgan; 04-04-2010 at 12:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CaughtInaXF (04-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Black Rub Strip On Tonneau Top Part Number