CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Roadster (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/)
-   -   Strange noises starting my crossfire (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/52058-strange-noises-starting-my-crossfire.html)

Damo 09-03-2011 05:01 AM

Strange noises starting my crossfire

Today, I jumped into my crossfire after a quick stop at the store and when I turned my key, the car made some strange clicking noises and tried to start. I stopped and tired again it fires after a few seconds, the weird thing the engine reved fine and sounds fine. Once I got home and parked I stopped the engine and tired to start it again same thing again all the lights on the dash and the rear spoiler came out, I am not mechical minded but would anyone have had this happen or know what it could be before I get the garage to come out, thanks. PS. I just had it serviced a month or 2 ago so bit strange, I had noticed before a few times the spoiler coming out when starting cold.

maxcichon 09-03-2011 08:31 AM

Re: Strange noises starting my crossfire

Originally Posted by Damo
Today, I jumped into my crossfire after a quick stop at the store and when I turned my key, the car made some strange clicking noises and tried to start. I stopped and tired again it fires after a few seconds, the weird thing the engine reved fine and sounds fine. Once I got home and parked I stopped the engine and tired to start it again same thing again all the lights on the dash and the rear spoiler came out, I am not mechical minded but would anyone have had this happen or know what it could be before I get the garage to come out, thanks. PS. I just had it serviced a month or 2 ago so bit strange, I had noticed before a few times the spoiler coming out when starting cold.

The spoiler deploying usually means a bad battery. If it is more than 3 years old especially.

Walmart "48R" is the size I used. There are many threads on here about this problem. Search for "Spoiler".

Welcome!

pizzaguy 09-03-2011 10:24 AM

When I read your post, it came across like this:

That is to say, the deployment of the spoiler upon an attempt to start speaks volumes.

I think Max is dead-right. (Why do we say DEAD right, anyway???) I think you have a bad battery, or the most corroded battery terminals EVER!

bmorgan 09-03-2011 10:29 AM

Yep.... Bad battery. Get a new one, and life will be good once again. I recently purchased one from Walmart as well.

pizzaguy 09-03-2011 10:43 AM

For $89, O'Reilly's "Sure Start" did the job for me. Both cars got one!

Hindin 09-03-2011 11:49 AM

Costco is now selling the (Group size 48) Kirkland brand for $68.00. It has significantly higher CCA then the original. I just picked one up for the new addition to the family (see my pics). Evidently the new Ford Focus uses the same size battery according to the tech at Costco. There's only a few manufactures of car batteries, Johnson being the primary and the Kirkland brand has always received good reviews from testers.

Joliet John 09-04-2011 01:02 AM

I had some strange noises coming from under the hood when I tried to start my XFire the other day. Opened the hood, got rid of the cat, tried again, no more weird howling and yelling!
:D

TiredRetired 09-04-2011 07:14 AM

Clicking noises on start usually indicates low voltage to the solonoid on the starter. As others said, BATTERY! :D