CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Roadster (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/)
-   -   Radio knobs (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/55890-radio-knobs.html)

Giff 04-29-2012 01:36 PM

Radio knobs

New Crossfire owner. Love everything about the car, so far.
The car I bought and most I looked it had sticky radio knobs.
Is this a heat related problem? I'm in the Teaxs Gulf coast area
and the X-fires from Fla. can replacement knobs be found? Thanks.

onehundred80 04-29-2012 01:44 PM

Re: Radio knobs

Originally Posted by Giff (Post 669735)

This is a problem I noticed on a nav radio I purchased. I swapped them out with my OEM radio knobs and I was OK. It is to do with being used a lot and the oil on the skin ruins the finish on them. Someone said they cleaned and resprayed them, but that may be a future problem as the knob is softish and the paint dries hard and may crack later.
It may be possible to buy new knobs from Becker Radio in the States, New Jersey?

user 72983 04-29-2012 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Giff (Post 669735)

Mine work great! Was a soft drink spilled on them?

Try some contact cleaner or alcohol squirted around the knob.

Giff 04-29-2012 02:56 PM

I probably wasn't very clear in my first post. The knobs function
fine, the exterior finish is tacky and seems dirty compared to
the rest of the radio controls

turbomar 04-29-2012 03:09 PM

Welcome to the XF Forum Giff!

My radio suffers the same faith. See post #2 for your answer

coolx 04-29-2012 03:31 PM

I have the same problem with the volume control knob, slightly discolored and tacky to the touch...I guess I got used to it because I haven't thought about it till just now :rolleyes:

thanks for the post...I'm gonna put it on my to-do list

James1549 04-29-2012 03:51 PM

I redid my knobs several years ago and they still look good. First clean them very good with a solvent type cleaner, degreaser, etc... Spray them with a silver metallic paint. The cheap 99¢ can from Walmart will work. Then after they sit overnight, Recoat them several times with some good quality clear. Let them dry again for 24 hrs. Gently push them back on the radio.

Now if I look close at them, I can see crackling on the knobs but it is so fine it is not noticeable. What do you have to loose? So far the color has remained perfect. If I have to redo it in the future, no big deal.

James

IBLUBYU 04-29-2012 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 669738)
This is a problem I noticed on a nav radio I purchased. I swapped them out with my OEM radio knobs and I was OK. It is to do with being used a lot and the oil on the skin ruins the finish on them. Someone said they cleaned and resprayed them, but that may be a future problem as the knob is softish and the paint dries hard and may crack later.
It may be possible to buy new knobs from Becker Radio in the States, New Jersey?

Seems to be a pretty common problem with our Infinity radios. 180 is right about the oils and dirt on our fingers, altho the combination of "warm/hot" weather may be an added factor with moist, dirty fingers. Be that as it may, I had a slight darkening of the knobs (on/off/volume being darker, because of more handling), and I pulled them off and cleaned them with alcohol, and let them dry before spraying with a silver spray "modeling" paint. Just 1 light to medium coat, then I stuck on 2 key fob decals that came with a set of decals from Andrew, that matched my car color. Has looked great for the past year, with no cracking or peeling. At least up to now .....
If I find anyone with an extra set of knobs from a "base" Infinity radio, I'll try to talk them out of them. They are black........
I couldn't justify the cost of new knobs from Becker, eventho I don't remember what they were, I alway live in my "cheap streak" LOL

Edit: I didn't do the several coats and "clear" like James. The 1 coat seemed to cover satisfactorily, and I kinda thought that the more coats the more chance of cracking. But James is right, if they get ugly, then a do-over ...

coolx 04-29-2012 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU (Post 669758)
I couldn't justify the cost of new knobs from Becker, eventho I don't remember what they were, I alway live in my "cheap streak" LOL

LONG LIVE THE "CHEAP STREAK"!

that's funny cuz that's where I live .... LOL :cool:

arejohn 04-29-2012 04:47 PM

I was preparing to repaint my knobs but could not get them to pull off. Pulled until I was concerned something would break.

bluecoupe 04-29-2012 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 669738)

I checked with Becker USA a couple of years ago when they listed parts/repairs for Crossfire HU's on their website (they no longer do, and did not respond to my e-mail request last month). Price for new knobs was $23 plus shipping.

PNA 04-29-2012 08:40 PM

Just clean them with a solvent. Mineral spirits worked on mine. Didn't need to repaint or anything,

Kodebuster 04-29-2012 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by arejohn (Post 669761)
I was preparing to repaint my knobs but could not get them to pull off. Pulled until I was concerned something would break.

I'm very picky on which knobs get all my attention...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I might touch them, even rub them, but I would never paint, or pull them...:p:cool::eek:

grayroadster 05-02-2012 11:28 AM

After I wash and dry my car, I use the wet towel and wipe the knobs off. I mean damp towel. A little is a lot here, you don't need to hit them with a fire hose. And don't forget water is a solvent, look what it did to the Grand Canyon.

jwmbo1 05-02-2012 02:03 PM

problems,problems, sticky knobs is not covered under warranty,some dealers may give free advice..:

Abaton6 12-10-2012 05:19 PM

Mine look like the rubber coating is peeling off. I'm thinking of taking all of it off, and painting. Since the car is black, with the black and cream interior, guess I'll go with black.

onehundred80 12-10-2012 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Abaton6 (Post 713049)
Mine look like the rubber coating is peeling off. I'm thinking of taking all of it off, and painting. Since the car is black, with the black and cream interior, guess I'll go with black.

They require a flexible covering or they will crack.
James1549 had a article somewhere. See above.

slomeli 03-15-2016 11:23 PM

Mine were sticky too and i thought it was because the guy I purchased from smoked. Well I took them off and tried cleaning with magic eraser and now they're peeling....opps! I rubbed to hard I guess. I'm thinking of going the paint route. Thanks for all the info. I'm new here.

onehundred80 03-15-2016 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by slomeli (Post 861904)
Mine were sticky too and i thought it was because the guy I purchased from smoked. Well I took them off and tried cleaning with magic eraser and now they're peeling....opps! I rubbed to hard I guess. I'm thinking of going the paint route. Thanks for all the info. I'm new here.

They tend to be sticky but not yellow

MB04XFIRE 03-16-2016 12:19 AM

Has anyone made any aftermarket knobs?
Do the knobs just come off by pulling on them?