Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

"Rebuilding the convertible top hydraulic system"

Old 03-18-2019, 09:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: "Rebuilding the convertible top hydraulic system"

Thanks for the speedy answer. I hated to just by-pass the switch. If I find something that this forum could use I will quickly post it. I am a firm believer of "If I have this problem I am sure somebody else has had it".

Old 03-18-2019, 09:34 AM

ebay has it for less then $10 delivered. It is due in Thursday. Let you know how I did

Old 03-18-2019, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your best solution is to find a direct replacement for the Mercedes part.
I would try to avoid designing something to replace the original switch. The clearances are very tight and you are unlikely to make a secondary design function well.
The switch you have is missing the little slider that also houses the spring.
Have you searched around for the sliding portion? Look inside the top frame with a mirror and check below around the seat. If you can find that slider, it will be easier to recreate out of a similar material such as nylon or Delrin.
Even glass-filled resin may work for you. Raw plastic is available locally or on-line.
Plastics are easy to shape using EXACT-O knives, small files, etc.
Painstaking process I know, but maybe it will get you by until you can find the OEM replacement.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:46 PM

Just finished rebuilding my hydraulic system, turn the car on and tried to raise the top. Nothing happened but the red light stayed on. Looked for a leak and did not see one. Put down the cover by hand and locked the cover down. Pushed the bow down and now I cannot open the trunk. The fob will click the key but I can not open the trunk. What do I do to start solving the problem? I probably need to get the trunk open? How?

Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the way i do it is with the scan tool actuate the trunk unlock actuator. i'm not sure of another way.

when you went to raise the top it didn't move at all then bind?

Old 03-25-2019, 07:27 PM

First of all what kind of scan tool did you use? I am planning on getting one. I hear the pump cycling as I push the button. I wish it would unlock the rear window so I can open the trunk and see if I did anything wrong. I will have to hunt in the forum on how to open the trunk.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:33 PM

i use a drb3.

if you can hear the pump running and nothing is happening you are most likely low on fluid. keep trying to shut the top until the rear bow latches. then close the top fully up front. it should allow you to open the trunk at that point.i read back that yoiu are having a issue getting the micro switch, i think they are still available, i'll see if i can find one on the parts diagram.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:12 PM

it looks like the part you need is 05142205AA and it has been discontinued.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:25 PM

I found a micro switch.Made a bracket and it is now in my car. I'll put a picture of what I did on line. The switch was $10 for 5 on ebay. Use the normally closed and the common.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:30 PM

that might work. sounds like you might need to read the codes in the ptcm to see what is really going on.

Last edited by DualSportDad; 03-25-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Fir what it's worth, this site shows that part is available, but pricey!

https://www.concord-parts.com/item/05142205aa/chrysler

Good luck!

Old 03-26-2019, 09:07 PM

there's one on ebay as well but he might have found a way to make a new switch. i still think he should try and properly diagnosis it before chasing around in a circle. i'm curious to see in the end if that switch he made works out, it'll be a great alternative to those that don't want to bypass a safety switch.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:42 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

Search the forum, isn't there a manual procedure to take the top down and put it up again? You will need the 'special tool' to do this, but again, use the search box and a few key words. BTW, I don't have a roadster but have read many posts on exactly this issue of not being able to drop and put up the top. There is also a clip/part of some sort that breaks on the trunk latch, but again I don't have a roadster and there are ways around this issue also. Search is your friend... Good luck!

Old 03-27-2019, 08:21 AM

I just ordered an Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802 OBD2. Can I use it to unlock my trunk? Also what you I download for a 2005 Crossfire roadster?

Old 03-27-2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by ray48317
I just ordered an Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802 OBD2. Can I use it to unlock my trunk? Also what you I download for a 2005 Crossfire roadster?
when all of our DRB3's broke at the shop we tried one of these and could not get it to work with the crossfire at all. i'm not saying it wasn't user error but i couldn't read srs codes. i gave up and bought my own drb3 emulator.
Amazon Amazon

Old 03-27-2019, 08:38 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The Launch CRP123 works fine with SRS codes.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
The Launch CRP123 works fine with SRS codes.
thanks i'll look into the launch brand. i'm currently looking to buy a scan tool that will work on other cars, i'll see what that brand has to offer.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by DualSportDad
thanks i'll look into the launch brand. i'm currently looking to buy a scan tool that will work on other cars, i'll see what that brand has to offer.
Which of the CRP 123 did you get? There are many different ones and this is all new to me..If you cannot get it working I know I will have a problem with the Autel.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ray48317
Which of the CRP 123 did you get? There are many different ones and this is all new to me..If you cannot get it working I know I will have a problem with the Autel.
I don't have a aftermarket scanner at the moment, I have a drb3 scanner, it's what the Chrysler dealership uses. It works fine on the 04-06 cars but starts to run into issues with the 07-08 cars with srs and other modules as they are supposed to use a star scan with the green adapter cable and even then you must manually ID a 08 car as a 07 to get it to work. The problem is that the star scan is a total piece of **** and never works and the drb is not far behind. My drb is actually a witech 2 pod set up as a emulator. It gets the job done in most cases but there are a lot of functions missing and you really need to know how the tool and the car work together to know if the function simply isn't supported or there is actually a issue with the car. It helps sometimes as well that I have access to witech support and can usually get a answer of what is or isn't supported.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:18 PM

I wish I could have found the correct piece but sometimes you have to go with second best because it is better then nothing. I put in the "replacement top down switch" and it appears to work fine. The micro switch give me more then enough room in all dimensions. I copied the bracket for all of the bends and wire holder on the left side. After reading advise from a member you do need all the attributes of the original bracket/switch. The original bracket/switch is a custom made two piece switch assembly with half the switch molded into the bracket and the other half glued to the bracket with the wiring epoxied to the switch. The first 2 pictures are with the top in the full closed position. The next three pictures are with the front latch open putting the switch in the top open position.

Quick Reply: "Rebuilding the convertible top hydraulic system"