Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

"Rebuilding the convertible top hydraulic system"

Old 04-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: "Rebuilding the convertible top hydraulic system"

Yesterday, I went to cycle the top for the first time this season as it was decent weather in upstate NY and I unlatched the header, windows rolled down, push the button and I could hear the system working(or trying to) but the rear deck wouldn't lift. Any suggestions?

Old 04-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

do the manual thing to get the tonneau open and check the fluid level in the top pump reservoir.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:14 AM

Will do on the next nice day....only 40 degrees today -_-

Thanks for the suggestion

Old 06-24-2016, 06:13 PM

What oil use to agree¿

Old 06-24-2016, 07:32 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Nos_tds
What oil use to agree¿
Use Pentosin, the same as in the power steering.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:26 AM

I bought a 2005 roadster knowing it had some top issues. I took it into a dealer this week who said two cylinders were leaking but the other should be replaced as well, to the tune of $600 each. I found two other shops in the Naples, Florida area that should be able to do the work. Love the car otherwise.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:30 AM

Klaus at https://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/29-chrysler- will rebuild all 5 cylinders for $750 total.
Klaus is a great guy, many forum members have used his services and are 100% satisfied.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by mavxfire
I bought a 2005 roadster knowing it had some top issues. I took it into a dealer this week who said two cylinders were leaking but the other should be replaced as well, to the tune of $600 each. I found two other shops in the Naples, Florida area that should be able to do the work. Love the car otherwise.
There are probably better options available use search and save money. Get the cylinders rebuilt as required and then put them in yourself or get them installed.
Do not go into this ill prepared and waste money. Research your subject or you will be taken to the cleaners. Member Pizzaguy can help you out on here.
Auto shops see you as a stack of money and wonder how much they can peel of you.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There are probably better options available use search and save money. Get the cylinders rebuilt as required and then put them in yourself or get them installed.
Do not go into this ill prepared and waste money. Research your subject or you will be taken to the cleaners. Member Pizzaguy can help you out on here.
Auto shops see you as a stack of money and wonder how much they can peel of you.
Since you posted 1 minute after me, you must not have seen my post about Klaus ........

Old 08-21-2016, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Since you posted 1 minute after me, you must not have seen my post about Klaus ........
I told him to use search, I forgot the company name.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:00 AM

OK, then you are pardoned.
( And DON'T GO AWAY, you are an invaluable resource here. I for one would miss you. )

CRS and brain-farts are part of life when one reaches our age.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:15 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
CRS and brain-farts are part of life when one reaches our age.

Don't I know it... Guilty as 'self' charged. Hey, being aware of oneself, isn't that an improvement? There IS hope!

Old 08-24-2016, 06:54 AM

Klaus referred me to a local shop here in Naples, Florida. I'm driving it there today. Thanls for your help!

Old 07-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I removed the left and right main lifting cylinders this morning following the instructions here. It went pretty smoothly and I'll ship them off to Klaus at TopHydraulics today.

Both cylinders were leaking. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the rebuilt cylinders will do the trick.

When I got finished, I ended up with the top down and stowed away and the tonneau lid locked down. I reconnected the battery. Everything fired back up okay. (Radio presets were gone on my Kenwood.) But, I've got a fast blinking red light on the up/down switch for the top. No beeping while sitting still or going over 10 mph. I don't know if the system for the top is upset that I have removed the two cylinders or if disconnecting the battery did something to the convertible top control module's brain or if it is just telling me that the top is totally inoperable at the moment. Not a big deal, I hope.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I got the red blinking light also when I removed the cylinders I think it has to do with the travel sensors not being able to read anything from the cylinder.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:46 PM

It's a MIRACLE! The top works!

It nice that Klaus, at TopHydraulics, is in the business of miracles. He rebuilt the left and right main lifting cylinders in one day and got them right back to me. Thanks Klaus!

Plus, thanks to the multitude of folks who post their experiences and expertise here.

Now if the temperature will just stop exceeding 100 deg F every day, I might be able to drive around with the top down.....

Old 09-06-2018, 09:27 AM

Could you direct me to the link describing how to remove the hydraulic cylinders so I can ship them to Klaus?
Thanks,
Janet McKim

Old 09-06-2018, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Crossfire2006!
Could you direct me to the link describing how to remove the hydraulic cylinders so I can ship them to Klaus?
Thanks,
Janet McKim
Hi,

I think you're in the thread that describes removing the hydraulic cylinders. Go to the top page of "Rebuilding the convertible top hydraulic system". https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ic-system.html

You might find some additional info at the link below for "Convertible Top Hydraulic Purge". https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...lic-purge.html

And this thread might give you some other information: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...reservoir.html

Old 12-20-2018, 08:11 PM
Cool Re: Bad News and Good News

Originally Posted by g3air
Unhappily, the bad news more than offsets the good news.

The good news is that my latest fix for the Tonneau Side Flap Cable worked.

The bad news is I cannot determine what is causing the top hydraulic system not to function. I have checked my installation of the rebuilt pump and cylinders and all looks correct. Manual opening and closing of the top works normally, but when attempting to use the system, nothing happens after the automatic lowering of the windows except an intermittent flashing of the red LED in the top control toggle switch and a beeping. Also, the red LED stays on after the unsuccessful attempt. (I have since again unplugged the PTCM to get rid of the light). There is no evidence of leaking and no sounds that I would associate with latches opening or operation of the hydraulic pump.

I will make one more check of the wiring associated with the latches and will check fuses that protect the PTCM (after I figure out where it/they are).

Absent any other ideas, I think I will will have to approach a dealer with this. To diagnose the system would take a DRB III Scan Tool (prohibitively expensive and hard to find) configured to work on a Crossfire so as to read the DTC's associated with the PTCM. No doubt I will pay dearly for their analysis.
Hello g3air,
How did you get your top to work again after your refurished the hydraulic system?
I have the same problem, with my top. Flashing light and all . . .
Thanks
drydock

Old 12-21-2018, 05:59 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Subscribed here: I'm having similar issues. Had all 7 hydraulic cylinders rebuilt. I reinstalled them. I know all the hydraulic lines are hooked up in the correct positions thanks to Klaus' information that the but end of the cylinder takes the even numbered hose and the shaft end of the cylinder takes the odd numbered hose. BUT I may have (and probably did) reverse re-installation of the of the travel sensors on the main lift cylinder and/or on the bow lift cylinder (no way to tell from looking at the wiring harness or at the wiring colors which way they go). I've switched around those travel sensors (more than once) but just can't seem to get things working correctly. I've been communicating with Klaus to try and resolve things. WOW is he great or what! INSTANT responses and patiently willing to help!

He's really trying but this is not an area of expertise for me . . . It's always going to be difficult trying to help a "dummy" (me) who's on the opposite side of the country. I'm still struggling with this. . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 12-21-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Quick Reply: "Rebuilding the convertible top hydraulic system"