Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Need Help

Old 03-14-2014, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help

I just bought an 2005 crossfire roadster limited. It only has two problems.

1. The cup holder will not stay down
and
2. when you turn on the air, no matter what setting you put the air speed on it goes from high to low when ever it feels like it.

Problem 1:

I have figured out that the best course of action with the cup holder is to buy the compartment insert to replace the non-usable cup holder. I'm just having a problem finding a place to buy the insert part. If anyone can tell me where to find one please let me know.

Problem 2:

I took the car to the Chrysler Dealership. They told me it needed a control head for a/c and it would cost $600.00 to get it fixed. What I wanted to know is do I needed to go ahead and pony up the 600 to the dealer for the warranty or buy the part on line and pay one of my buddy mechanics that are proven to do it. In reality how much cheaper can I get it done for? Also what Chrysler told me the part I needed doesn't match what I have read in this forum. In this forum, with the air speed problem, they say to replace the a/c heater blower motor resistor. So I'm confused on that. Any help will be great.

Thanks,
Zrgoodman

Please email me any help..Zrgoodman@msn.com

Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re: Need Help

STAY AWAY FROM THE STEALERSHIP. They know little about our cars and a lot about how to empty your pockets.

Information on the storage bin is (from a post by forum member DANIMAL):

The part number for the storage cup is 1BQ12XDVAA. A couple of good places to order parts (that I have found to be reliable) are New Mopar Parts | Mopar parts, etc. and Mopar Parts - Genuine OEM Dodge Parts, Chrysler Parts and Jeep Parts at Wholesale Prices - MoparPart.com with both of them giving discounts on parts and accessories.

Here's one I found at a reasonable price . . .

BIN-STORAGE for MOPAR |1BQ12XDVAA

Regarding the heater / AC blower motor:

You can buy a used heater / AC motor complete with the resistor for about $100.00. It is an easy install that should take less than 1 hour even for the inexperienced. I suggest you also replace the cabin filter while you're in there. I'm not seeing replacements currently on E-Bay but here are a few recent sales.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-05-06-CHRYSLER-CROSSFIRE-HEATER-AIR-A-C-BLOWER-MOTOR-FAN-OEM-BEHR-2108206210-/190993247380?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7815ac94&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-CHRYSLER-CROSSFIRE-HEATER-AIR-A-C-BLOWER-MOTOR-FAN-OEM-BEHR-2028207310-/291032454332?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c2e2d4bc&vxp=mtr

I know these folks below have another one but they don't have one currently listed. Contact them . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-CHRYSLER-CROSSFIRE-HEATER-AIR-A-C-BLOWER-MOTOR-FAN-OEM-BEHR-2108206210-/121107055852?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c328b04ec&vxp=mtr

Last edited by RED DOG; 03-14-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:13 AM

Red dog,
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. The link for the cup insert worked. But the every link for the part to get the air fixed was sold. Is there a place where I can just buy a brand new one to fix the fan speed and not worry about ebay or other bid sites? I don't mind paying extra for new. To tell you the truth, the way I feel right now with what I have read with all the problems with the car it seems the time to sell it is when it rolls over 50,000. I'm just assuming of course but would like to get some verification on the matter.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Forum Regular

Hear me out on this one my friend, and I'm not picking a fight... But I'd say for most, if not all available used cars around, especially those being 10 years in age, you're doing fine.

I am sure you know that every car has its quirks, from car to car, model, brand etc.

It can really stifle joy of ownership to have troublesome experiences out of the gate, I agree. But all totaled, if the car makes you happy, I'd hold off on digging into problems your car doesn't have. It's not going to boost morale.

That said, of all the problems you may have read, one thing that's 'fairly reliable' (if you'll pardon my pun) is that where there's an issue, the members here respond.

Anyway, I get the frustration, just hang in there and it'll come around.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by zrgoodman
Red dog,
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. The link for the cup insert worked. But the every link for the part to get the air fixed was sold. Is there a place where I can just buy a brand new one to fix the fan speed and not worry about ebay or other bid sites? I don't mind paying extra for new. To tell you the truth, the way I feel right now with what I have read with all the problems with the car it seems the time to sell it is when it rolls over 50,000. I'm just assuming of course but would like to get some verification on the matter.
As per my post, those were examples of of the blower motor recent SALES to show you the cost of obtaining the item. I suggested you contact the last one because I happen to know they have a complete unit available . . . just no current listing on E-Bay. Believe me, you don't want to spend the money for a new one.

These are really MINOR issues for a car that's about 9 years old. Get them fixed and start enjoying the car. The Crossfire is be best bang for the buck sports car value on the planet.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Red dog,
Don't sell that car.!!.. I've had mine for 10 years, with very little maintenance.. Stay with this forum, listen to what these people tell/advise you and believe me, you will learn a lot (the fun is in doing the job yourself) and save tons of money...these folks really know a lot!!! Carl

Old 03-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Red dog,
I bought mine with 44,000 on it. I had to put a battery ($90) and battery ground cable ($12) in it right away.
Two weeks later, the ignition froze up and had to be towed home. That $700 fix at a dealership cost me 90 minutes in my garage, it's been fine ever since.
Some time later, I had the P0401 alarm, 20 minutes with a soldering iron on the RCM and I have been fine ever since.

Well, except...
I turned 101,000 on the car last month - it stalled at a light. I changed the CPS ($47) (which I had been carrying a spare of for two years) in 20 minutes and I was on the road again.

Those are the ONLY PROBLEMS I've had in 57,000 miles of ownership. If you drive the car year round and don't store it for five months at a time, you may never have another problem. Stick around here, read threads when you can, and learn about the car. Stay away from dealerships and buy your parts from GermanAutosupply.com or Autohausaz.com or TLCoutfitters or Needswings - and find a local shop that knows Mercedes products for the things you can't do on your own and you are gonna be fine. (If you are anywhere near Atlanta, call Buckhead Imports if you need real work done on the car. Those guys know our cars and charge reasonable prices. We have members from OTHER STATES that flatbed their cars to Atlanta if the need arises!)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-19-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Oh, and learn MORE about your car and meet the best car nuts anywhere by clicking here:

Where the beautiful and important people meet!

(Usually, after you make your FIRST post here, I invite you - I see I slipped up as you are up to 2 posts already...)

Old 03-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Red dog,
If you go to a hospital you will see sick people, you cannot judge the health of the average man/woman by taking statistics in the ER. When you go on a forum that talks about a car then you will see the problems. You hardly ever see people posting threads saying that they have had no problems with their car.
I have spent money on my car, things I did not need to spend money on and money spent on maintenance. I have spent $1 on parts I needed because a part failed, the part that broke cost me $1 for ten, the diodes only came in packs of ten. I have not done 30,000 miles yet but the record is good I reckon.

You purchased a second hand car as did most of the members here, get over it or sell.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:02 PM

Red dog,
Mine is on 110k, and I have been spending money mostly on cosmetic stuff...I had it for around 8 months now and used for over 10k, no problems yet.
before this, I had a c230 kompressor which I bought when she had around85k and she had around 155k when I sold it and didnt even spend a dollar on the repairs. And everybody used to tell me that Mercedes is not a good brand for a student and it will cost me a lot to keep it running. BS.
It is all about how much you take care of it and pay attention to little detials.