Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Convertible top behaving strangely

Old 05-21-2014, 10:24 AM
xme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top behaving strangely

I've been browsing around just generally reading up a lot of the useful info here to get to know my car a little better, and I'm having two issues, one since I've had the car (just didn't know it) and a new one that started in the past few weeks.

So since I've bought the car, the convertible top will go down whether or not the divider is up. I've checked the switch on the drivers side of the divider latch, and it isn't *physically* stuck, but nonetheless the top will lower with the divider down.

Second, and this just started, and has happened twice: Top goes down normally, drive, stop, go to put top up and the windows close just like they would if you held the button until after the top closes. No amount of finagling with the switch will cause it to attempt to raise the top. Turn the engine off, then back on, and it works fine. Very intermittent, very infrequent.

Are these likely related or separate issues? Mostly I just don't want to get trapped with the top down in an inconvenient situation, as the Crossfire is my daily driver, or break something due to my absent-mindedness about the divider on the rare occasion I have things in the trunk.

Thanks!
Brian

Old 05-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts
Default Re: Convertible top behaving strangely

Two ideas on problem number one:

1) Someone got sick of the divider switch acting up, and they bypassed it/taped it closed.
2) The wire running to it is crushed somewhere, permanently shorting it to ground. (The top open and trunk switches, together, apply a ground to the TCM indicating it is ok to move the top.)

Now, as to the other thing... You are saying that the top is down, and when you hit the button to put it up, it just raises the windows, is that right? If so, the TCM/BCM is confused and resetting it by the method you use works. Since the two switches I mention are ALWAYS CLOSED when the top is down anyway, I don't see how this is related.

Let me run this thru my head for a bit...

Last edited by pizzaguy; 05-21-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:33 AM
xme

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Two ideas on problem number one:

1) Someone got sick of the divider switch acting up, and they bypassed it/taped it closed.
2) The wire running to it is crushed somewhere, permanently shorting it to ground. (The top open and trunk switches, together, apply a ground to the TCM indicating it is ok to move the top.)
I'll check that out, should be easy enough... Thank you.

Now, as to the other thing... You are saying that the top is down, and when you hit the button to put it up, it just raises the windows, is that right?
That is correct.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:44 AM
xme

Just saw your ninja edit, lol. Ok, I'm going to start digging around and physically look at switches and wiring. I'll keep you updated.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 AM
xme

That looks to have been a helluva good call pizza - see attached. There are definitely multiple brown wires grounded directly to the body.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
grounded.jpg (256.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 05-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Administrator

I have the manual printed at home - and if you didn't know, you can download all manuals here on this site - really helps when you try to follow what is happening.

OBVIOUSLY the BCM or TCM is getting confused by something. Ok, the wire comes off the module and goes first to the top open switch above the passenger's head, then to the divider switch in the trunk, then to the ground lug. I wonder what the module would think if that line opens up (due to a cut/damage) while the top is down? Sure the switch in the windshield frame would STILL indicate an open top, but I wonder if that would confuse the module and make it do what you are seeing?

Also, if you hit the "down" part of the button once the top is down, it is SUPPOSED to put the windows up! Any chance you are hitting the wrong end of the button?

EVERY post edited for your viewing pleasure!

Old 05-21-2014, 11:27 AM
xme

Also, if you hit the "down" part of the button once the top is down, it is SUPPOSED to put the windows up! Any chance you are hitting the wrong end of the button?

This is what I actually thought I did the first time, as I have caught myself doing that before. Then, the second time it happened, I paid very close attention to what I was doing. Slowed down, waited several seconds in between, tried both directions. No dice. It'd help if it was repeatable - well except then I'd have to deal with problem repeatedly too You're right though, it's exactly the same behavior as when you hold the button after putting the top down. I suppose that would have been a more succinct way of putting it.

Thanks for your help, I think I have some digging/reading to do. If I figure it out I'll be sure to share.

Last edited by xme; 05-21-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:27 PM
xme

Pizza, one more question - the switch in the windshield frame, the one that tells the TCM that I've released the latch, is that the "Top Control Switch?" Trying to track down the manual pages on it...

Old 05-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Administrator

I do'nt have the printed stuff here with me, I'm thinking that is not what they call it.

Looking for it when I have time..

Old 05-21-2014, 01:03 PM
xme

I do'nt have the printed stuff here with me, I'm thinking that is not what they call it.

Looking for it when I have time..
No hurry whatsoever... I just feel dumb for not being able to find the right page...

Old 05-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Administrator

"Latch Retainer Switch".... see page 23-458 of the SRT6 (Roadster) Service manual.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:26 PM
xme

"Latch Retainer Switch".... see page 23-458 of the SRT6 (Roadster) Service manual.
Thank you sir.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also of quick note. Pressing the top up switch quickly twice will tell the computer to roll both windows up but leave the top stowed. Is it possible you arent holding the switch down completely when initially pressing it and causing a quick contact-break-contact situation where the computer thinks you only want the windows up? Its also a possibility of a dirty switch causing this situation. When I drive around with the top down and come to a store real quick, that is how I roll both windows up without bothering the top. Come to think of it, I pretty much only use the top switch to control the windows unless I only want the driver's down, top up or down. Only then do I actually use window switch.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:09 PM
xme

Originally Posted by MoparFreak69
Also of quick note. Pressing the top up switch quickly twice will tell the computer to roll both windows up but leave the top stowed. Is it possible you arent holding the switch down completely when initially pressing it and causing a quick contact-break-contact situation where the computer thinks you only want the windows up? Its also a possibility of a dirty switch causing this situation. When I drive around with the top down and come to a store real quick, that is how I roll both windows up without bothering the top. Come to think of it, I pretty much only use the top switch to control the windows unless I only want the driver's down, top up or down. Only then do I actually use window switch.
Hmm... The "dirty switch" theory sounds plausible too. I'm reasonably confident I was pressing the switch all the way. I'd expect to see a pause mid-deploy/stow from time to time there too, no? I can't recall whether or not that has occurred...

Old 05-21-2014, 03:16 PM
Administrator

I think "the freak" nailed it.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I think "the freak" nailed it.
Solution : install the "One Touch Top" mod ......

Old 05-21-2014, 03:24 PM
xme

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Solution : install the "One Touch Top" mod ......
LOL you took the words right out of my mouth! Upgrade opportunity