CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Roadster (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/)
-   -   Great progress! Car idles rough and dies (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/70000-great-progress-car-idles-rough-dies.html)

cojoman 12-10-2014 08:51 AM

Great progress! Car idles rough and dies

Hello Guys,

This forum might be the best thing ever created and you guys are just amazing :)

Well progress:
-- Bought another gas pedal and then the position sensor problem was solved

Issues right now:

First try the car will turn on but will run rough and die. Second try (after pressing the gas pedal) car will idle rough and just die sometimes. Sometimes it tend to run. When i go reverse, it is fine but when i try to put it in the first gear it stalls LIKE CRAZY and dies.
Check engine light is on but i got a scan tool from a friend's job and it could not even connect to my car. It can see the VIN#. Which scan tool can diagnose my car? Is it the throttle body or CPS? I removed the CPS and the car didn't start. Making me believe that the cps is good.

A little history about the car. From my inquiry, the car has not ran for almost a year and half now. I changed out all the gas, changed the filter and added premium gas.

I am very close. Please help! Thanks :)

STEPHENJXN 12-10-2014 10:11 AM

Re: Great progress! Car idles rough and dies

Stalls in drive but works fine in reverse? Could it be the transmission?

STEPHENJXN 12-10-2014 10:15 AM

It could also be the Idle Air Control Valve or the Idle Stabilizer Valve.

cojoman 12-10-2014 10:19 AM

I doubt it is transmission. I drove it previously for 1 mile and it seems to be fine, It dies or stalls whenever i try to climb any hill.

This is a Manual transmission. It doesn't help that it already wants to die when the car is idling. I have to keep pedeling to keep it running(idle). After a while, it stays on but still stalls bad. Also when it is idling, sometimes the RPM jumps very higher even without me pressing the Gas pedal

cojoman 12-10-2014 10:22 AM

Where is this Valve located? Is it possible for it to still be the CPS? Or the Throttle body?

ala_xfire 12-10-2014 10:40 AM

Have you checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail test point ( passenger side front of engine ) ?
You'll need a test gauge for this. Should be 50-60 lbs.
( you might be able to borrow a tester from Autozone or Advance )

STEPHENJXN 12-10-2014 10:52 AM

Idle is managed by ECU through feedback from the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft sensor and ETA (throttle body) So your guess could be correct. Our cars do not have an "idle control valve" as the pre 2000 Mercedes models do.

cojoman 12-10-2014 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 821207)
Have you checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail test point ( passenger side front of engine ) ?
You'll need a test gauge for this. Should be 50-60 lbs.
( you might be able to borrow a tester from Autozone or Advance )

Thanks for reply ala_xfire.

Yes i have checked it. It was 50lbs. Seems to me the fuel pressure is good but am worried about bad gas or something. What kind of scan tool does Autozone use? The one my friend got from his job couldn't even connect to my ECU.Was just able to get the VIN#.

Thanks

cojoman 12-10-2014 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by STEPHENJXN (Post 821209)
Idle is managed by ECU through feedback from the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft sensor and ETA (throttle body) So your guess could be correct. Our cars do not have an "idle control valve" as the pre 2000 Mercedes models do.

Thanks STEPHENJXN.

I am a little confuse. Whenever i remove the CPS entirely it wont start but if i put back, it at least start. Can the CPS be good but "not good enough". Mind you the car has not ran for a long time.

STEPHENJXN 12-10-2014 11:20 AM

I would try replacing your CPS with a new Bosch CPS. Your current CPS may be "toast".

cojoman 12-10-2014 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by STEPHENJXN (Post 821214)
I would try replacing your CPS with a new Bosch CPS. Your current CPS may be "toast".

Can i get one in the car part?

STEPHENJXN 12-10-2014 11:34 AM

You can try. But here is where I bought mine.

https://www.germanautosupply.com/sto...sensor-86.html

STEPHENJXN 12-10-2014 11:35 AM

You can try here also. They have great prices.

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

STEPHENJXN 12-10-2014 11:46 AM

CrossfireForum.org > Technical > Troubleshooting & Technical & Modifications
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...allink_ltr.gif Camshaft position sensor: DIY replacement with pics

cojoman 12-10-2014 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by STEPHENJXN (Post 821219)
You can try here also. They have great prices.

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

I am hoping to see if i can pick one up today just for testing and then order one. Do you think thats a good idea?

JSK 12-10-2014 12:43 PM

I just ordered a Bosch CPS from Amazon. It was $34 and change, shipped free with my Prime account.

Jeff K

Tjb421 12-10-2014 12:57 PM

Personally I wouldn't buy anything until you read a diagnostic code from the car. That will tell you exactly what is wrong.

cojoman 12-10-2014 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tjb421 (Post 821234)
Personally I wouldn't buy anything until you read a diagnostic code from the car. That will tell you exactly what is wrong.

what kind of scan tool does Autozone use? Do you know? Friend got a scan tool but it was not able to read anything. Couldn't automatically connect to my car. I have to manually put it still didn't see anything
Previously someone used a STAR scan tool and it was fine(when i was programming my ECU).

ala_xfire 12-10-2014 01:40 PM

YOU programmed your ECU, and now you are asking us humble peons for advise ?
Seems to me you are a bunch smarter than us if you can program an ECU.

As to a scan tool. I use my UltraGuage.

cojoman 12-10-2014 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 821238)
YOU programmed your ECU, and now you are asking us humble peons for advise ?
Seems to me you are a bunch smarter than us if you can program an ECU.

As to a scan tool. I use my UltraGuage.

HAHA!
I mean to say that Rudy came with the scanner and programmed it.

Trust me am not even close to that. I am a software engineer but i don't mess with cars computers :)
I am just trying to put this car on the road! Is it what auto zone is using? Have you tried using a different scan tool and was not able to connect(just incase something is wrong on the programming).