CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Roadster (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/)
-   -   Just curious? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/71644-just-curious.html)

Dicky46 06-04-2015 05:47 PM

Just curious?

been reading the issues our roadster owners have had, and continue to have, with the convertible top. Leaking cylinders, flap cable issues, etc. wondering if any owners have been issue free? And if so, just lucky or what have they done to be spared any problems. I'm holding my breath with every top activation!

ala_xfire 06-04-2015 07:31 PM

Re: Just curious?

I've been issue free since I bought the car in Jan 2011, I did replace the top ( myself with maxcichon's help ) but that was cause they sent me the get out of jail free letter.
I have made sure all the joints and cables and latches etc stay lubed, I changed the fluid in the pump a couple of years back.
I keep the fabric happy with 303.

Well, almost issue free, an couple of times it had a fit, but cured itself.

Dicky46 06-05-2015 06:46 AM

Thanks for the response and ideas. I assume your top replacement was a recall issue or some such and cylinders are still original? I am new to the roadster world but not the crossfire. I owned a 2004 coupe for 11 years and just sold it after I purchased my good friends 2008 roadster.
Would you provide me with some direction on lubing the cables, what you use and any other info you think would help a mechanically challenged individual?
I was unable to locate any info the list of fixes. Replacing the pump fluid clearly sounds above my pay grade.

Thanks very much in advance!!

ala_xfire 06-05-2015 09:22 AM

I used this for the cables :
Universal Motorcycle ATV Dirt Bike MX Bicycle Cable Luber Lubing Lubricator Tool | eBay
with spray can teflon type lubricant.

I used white lithium spray for all the pivot joints.
And, yes, the top was free with the recall, I opted to do the replacement myself rather than trust the stealership.

Toolman 06-05-2015 09:25 AM

I have had a 2007 roadster since 2008, and the whole car has almost been completely trouble free. A handful of times the canvas top has pulled out of the bow track at the very back where it sits on the trunk. There are small metal clips that hold it in place in the track. If it becomes more of a nuisance I considered bending the clip tips to give them a little more bite in the track to hold it in place. The only other issue with the car was the leaking valve covers which it seems everyone gets.

I've also been a forum member since 2008, and excluding the back windows coming loose on the 2005 models, I don't think there have been a lot of convertible top problems, but they do happen.

Goldwing 06-05-2015 03:32 PM

At the risk of jinxing myself, the roadster has been reliable since April 2005. I purchased the warranty after eyeballing the top mechanism, but it has been problem free - warranty never used. In truth, I put the top up in the spring and it stays up until October unless the weather turns bad or I park it outside overnight. Otherwise it spends it time garaged and covered, which saves wear and tear. I bet I cycle it less than 20 times per summer.

It had one recall for the fan, and I had the shift cable loosen up. It was reconnected by my indie shop and the 1st-2nd shift is greatly improved. The only other annoyance was the TPMS warning icon staying on, and it was cheaper to employ a 1"x1" piece of black tape on the dash rather than spend $100 for a dealer calibration that may not have lasted, if it worked at all.

Currently at 57k miles and in addition to the above: replaced tires, replaced battery, flushed radiator coolant and transmission fluid.

Dicky46 06-05-2015 04:45 PM

Ala_Xfire:
Thanks for the feedback. What position does the top need to be in to access all theses lubrication points?
Half way maybe??

ala_xfire 06-05-2015 05:45 PM

Yes, about 1/2 way.
NOTE: if you leave it there for more than about 20 minutes, the pressure will release and it will all come tumbling down ( at least the tonneau cover will )

Dicky46 06-05-2015 06:02 PM

Thanks all for your responses. Very helpful!!

dvandev827 06-12-2015 11:52 PM

I bought mine new in 2007 (its a 2006 but was never owned) and currently have 60k on her. I've had the top up and down numerous times, never had a problem (knock,knock). I park it in the garage at night and prefer to park it with the top up. I've heard that it being folded down for long periods is not as good as putting it back in shape when it goes up. The car has been trouble free.

KDW4Him 06-13-2015 09:02 AM

I know an '05 owner, just put gas & oil in it. He still has the original battery! Yup, I told him he is due a battery.

GraphiteGhost 06-14-2015 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him (Post 839142)
I know an '05 owner, just put gas & oil in it. He still has the original battery! Yup, I told him he is due a battery.

:) Daily, I am surprised with how long a battery can last. There are so many variables involved that when each cross the path of maximum lifespan at or near the same time, the result is non-belief. I routinely get 7-8 years out of lawn tractor batteries (wet cells) and since buying a pair of battery maintainers, expect this to extend (the time spans). Many cannot believe I get this long a service from lawn tractor batteries. When I tell them I only buy the cheapest (on sale) batteries, they scoff. I know wet cells last if you keep them clean and take care of them (I remove them after the last lawn mowing) and used to charge them once a month, but after the maintainers I bought I think I will leave the one in the tractor (it is already over 7 years old and currently starts a 22HP B&S motor easily). Over the winter, I'll keep it in the tractor. Now our cars are a lot more finicky. I replaced the OEM a couple years ago. I did that for two main reasons. The first was I was starting to experience a quirk or two. The main reason I decided to just replace it was I bought it after it went unsold for almost 2 years. That service is extremely hard on batteries because wet cells need to work, or they degrade (sulfate) in each cell. I chose to start new, and if the replacement was cared for and built properly, I expect it to serve for many many years. :)

kjwinston 06-16-2015 11:53 PM

The "Twins" are issue free with any concerns about the top. We do have 20047 / 2008 Roadsters.

Rebecca is free from any issues whereas I have had a sensor (lights) go out and a diffuser start leaking (minor).

We do the regular maintenance religiously. Oil every 7000 miles with filter.

We use 2 different mechanics, which is good for 2nd options here in Boise.

Pacemaker 06-17-2015 07:59 AM

My '05 has been described by the local (surprisingly trustworthy and competitive) dealership as "the cleanest XF that comes in here." Never had problem #1 with it. 303 on the top; Maguire's on the rest. Top is up and down throughout the Spring and Fall. Pretty much UP in the summer as it does get into the humid high 90s here. The dealership maintains it mechanically; and I do so cosmetically. I have a letter from Chrysler authorizing top replacement at their cost. Again, nary a problem. A great ride at 40,000 miles.;)

Dicky46 06-18-2015 07:08 AM

Encouraging! Thank you!!:)