Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Can you turn the wing OFF?

Old 04-20-2016, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can you turn the wing OFF?

I've read somewhere on the interweb that the roadsters have the rear visibility of a submarine. My '05 is really my wife's daily driver. She laughed when i read that to her and agreed to a certain degree. She says she loses a little bit of her view when on the highway (every day) when she's changing lanes to the right. I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere. I searched the forum for 'turn off wing' and 'deactivate wing' but came up empty. I know i can close the wing when it's open, but it pops up next time she gets on the highway. I'm not terribly afraid of minor mechanical, but i don't wanna un plug a wire and blow a fuse, get beeped at by the dashboard or confuse the on board computer. That wing is one of the main things that made me fall in love on-first-sight. Don't hate me! I've only driven the car a few times in the month we've had it. I get in there and start mashing buttons and exploring. I Love This Car! But it would make her happy. Happy wife! Happy life! Your feedback will be much appreciated.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:32 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts
Default Re: Can you turn the wing OFF?

Underhood Fuse Box - Fuse 20 in the 2005s I beleive. The fuse varied year to year somewhat.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:34 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The wing is there for a "working" reason.. if you turn it off.. the car is going to let you know one way or another it's not happy with you. Seems I had read over 80MPH it beeps at you..

Old 04-20-2016, 10:59 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

I was thinking it was 90. I heard it one day, when I had it down and sped up, in hte Graphite.

Mine never moves - I keep it locked in the UP position cause I think the car looks way better that way.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I was thinking it was 90. I heard it one day, when I had it down and sped up, in hte Graphite.

Mine never moves - I keep it locked in the UP position cause I think the car looks way better that way.
Might have been.. I just remember a post about no wing and beeping at speeds..

And much of the "sex appeal" is when it pops up in the air..

Old 04-20-2016, 11:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed a "Kill" switch, directly to the fuse box. I keep the wing down all the time because I like the way it looks. The warning "beep" sounds off above 90 mph. (A speed when the wing is really necessary)IMO. I seldom drive over 70 mph. ( unless the flow of traffic dictates it). If I get caught in a rain storm at highway speeds, I put the wing up.
The coupe body tends to lift the rear end at high speeds, I don't think the roadster has as much lift as a coupe would simply because it's not a "Fastback" design. Still, I'm sure the wing works for the roadster's too.
Disclaimer: I by no means condone shutting off your wing, do so at your own risk. I'm simply stating what has worked for me for the last 8 years.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZtaylor
I've read somewhere on the interweb that the roadsters have the rear visibility of a submarine. My '05 is really my wife's daily driver. She laughed when i read that to her and agreed to a certain degree. She says she loses a little bit of her view when on the highway (every day) when she's changing lanes to the right. I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere. I searched the forum for 'turn off wing' and 'deactivate wing' but came up empty. I know i can close the wing when it's open, but it pops up next time she gets on the highway. I'm not terribly afraid of minor mechanical, but i don't wanna un plug a wire and blow a fuse, get beeped at by the dashboard or confuse the on board computer. That wing is one of the main things that made me fall in love on-first-sight. Don't hate me! I've only driven the car a few times in the month we've had it. I get in there and start mashing buttons and exploring. I Love This Car! But it would make her happy. Happy wife! Happy life! Your feedback will be much appreciated.
It has power seats simply raise the seat up to improve visibility out the back glass and move the passenger side mirror out just a little further.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:14 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW, a few years back the Chrysler project mgr for the Crossfire was kind enough to give us a presentation on the car's history/development after a Woodward Dream Cruise event. This question came up during Q & A, and he strongly advised not to mess with the spoiler and to let it do it's thing. Reason being aerodynamic safety and rear wheel downward force. He went so far as to say that if your spoiler was broken, to get it fixed immediately.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummmm, OK.
Thanks for all the feedback. I genuinely appreciate it. While the raise the seat/aim the mirror remedy is pragmatic and quite cost effective, and Chrysler/MB thinks the wing needs to be up and in place at 90, I think I'm gonna roll with the pull-the-fuse, try it out, and put-the-fuse-back if I want option.

My beautiful little wifey is a whole lot easier on the skinny pedal than me. I like to tool around in the car doing my 'Let's open 'er up/Blow out the cobwebs/Lets see what she can do! kinda stuff. I reckon we can put the fuse back in when we do a road trip. (Where we might see something like 90mph)

When I have driven her car, I kinda gently test the water. Our roadster is the automatic, or 'Pernundle' as an old girl friend put it. (PRNDL)

I still haven't tried to break the rear tires loose, but I tell you whut! I'm the first car sitting at the light waiting to turn left onto a short freeway on-ramp, the light turns green, I gave it a little extra juice to get going quick-like and once I got of the line, I floored it! Those nice fat lo-pro rear tires were making (a little) noise as I dive hard left onto the on-ramp. The stability and precision were exhilarating as I was pushed back in my seat and my body is pulled to the right. The engine growled (or maybe roared is a better word for it)as it quickly found the need for 2nd gear. As I was coming up for the merge, I was thinking #2 I should probably ease off and maybe use the binders to slow down. but #1!!! #1 I was thinking, this car was made for this. I felt like the car was really happy about being driven hard like my 1978 Trans Am when I was a kid. Except this car was enjoying it. The T/A lived through a thousand neutral drops and that big 400 c.i. 210 hp motor was always struggling to satisfy the idiot behind the wheel. The C/F does it with class, style and a subdued authority that says, 'That was fun! Let's do it again sometime!' A bit of a Wolf in Luxury Clothing.

Fug! Sorry. Sometimes I get long winded and my enthusiasm gets the best of me...

Kindest regards!