Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Top Replacement

Old 03-13-2017, 11:16 PM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Top Replacement

Decided to install the new top today. Got the old one off and found two 3" wide nylon straps that run front to back on top near the outside of the bows were quite deteriorated and litterley falling apart. Found a roll of 3" strapping on line and my wife being quite handy on the sewing machine is going to make new ones. Kind of delays the project but stuff happens.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:23 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Top Replacement

Originally Posted by JSK
Decided to install the new top today. Got the old one off and found two 3" wide nylon straps that run front to back on top near the outside of the bows were quite deteriorated and litterley falling apart. Found a roll of 3" strapping on line and my wife being quite handy on the sewing machine is going to make new ones. Kind of delays the project but stuff happens.

Are these two straps separate from the new top, or were they part of the new top but deteriorated from the new top being old? Reading your post, I'm not familiar with your description. Also not familiar with a roadster since I own a coupe. Notwithstanding not owning a coupe, I ask because I am interested.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:52 AM
JSK

Creating confusion is one of my specialties. The straps are on top of the bows and under the top. They are not a component of the top but I assume they are there to protect the the under side of the top from rubbing the side rails and cables. They are secured to the front a back bows by sliding into grooves and are riveted to the center bows to keep them in place. I have removed them from the car for a pattern to make the new ones or I would take a photo with them in place. Comprende?

Old 03-14-2017, 06:31 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

No confusion here, I am quite familiar with the straps and the two tension cords and springs.
I have done 4 top replacements and never seen any strap deterioration.
Must be that hot Arizona sun.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:10 PM
JSK

The dry and warm air here is great for the longevity of steel and aluminum, bodies last forever but plastics and soft trim really takes a beating. My 08 Magnum has spent its life outdoors and a lot of the plastic on it is in terrible shape. I pulled the center dash bezel recently to upgrade the radio and the tabs that held the retainer clips were toast. I got a used bezel out of Ohio that was perfect. The chrome plated plastic strips on the interior door panels are separating and the plastic trim at the top of the door panels at the side glasses are all splitting apart. But no rust.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:41 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
No confusion here, I am quite familiar with the straps and the two tension cords and springs.
I have done 4 top replacements and never seen any strap deterioration.
Must be that hot Arizona sun.

The Hot "Inland Empire"/ Riverside County sun in So. Calif. did ours in also. The shop that installed our Gahh top called them fabric stays and used new parts from the "stealer".
Being wife's daily driver, it was parked in the Heat usually 4 days per week during our Long summers. Overall she wears her age extremely well and still gets lots of compliments.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:36 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by lovecross
............................................Overal l she wears her age extremely well and still gets lots of compliments.
The car or the wife?

Old 03-18-2017, 01:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Re: Top Replacement

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The car or the wife?

LOL! Both, (I consulted the White House to assist in my response.)