CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Roadster (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/)
-   -   Trailer Hitch (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/76667-trailer-hitch.html)

crazyfred 06-24-2017 12:49 PM

Trailer Hitch

6 Attachment(s)
With trunk space being so limited, I wanted to install a hitch that would pull a small cargo trailer and not be too obtrusive. I got together with my fab guy and this is what we came up with.

Attachment 39380

Attachment 39381

Attachment 39382

Attachment 39383

Attachment 39384

Attachment 39385

The hitch comes off when not needed and the receivers and electrical outlet remain on the car pretty much out of sight. When I need to tow, I just slip the hitch into the two pockets mounted to the car and insert 2 pins, plug the light cord in and off I go.

The trailer weighs 120lbs empty. I don't put a lot of weight in the trailer ( couple of suit cases and misc items). Works out pretty good.

maggy55 06-24-2017 01:43 PM

Re: Trailer Hitch

Very nice ! Clean design.

Steve Jr 06-24-2017 02:26 PM

You've got a good fab guy! Can you do a pic of the receivers on the car. I know it will be a tuff shot to light, in order to see. I'm just curious ! :cool:

ZERACER 06-24-2017 05:20 PM

All you need now is a trailer that looks like a Mini Crossfire!

crazyfred 06-24-2017 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr (Post 889569)
You've got a good fab guy! Can you do a pic of the receivers on the car. I know it will be a tuff shot to light, in order to see. I'm just curious ! :cool:

I'll try to get those shots asap, but it might be a bit as I am a truck driver and on the road all week.

crazyfred 06-24-2017 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by maggy55 (Post 889567)

Thanks. I'll tell my fab guy.

pizzaguy 06-25-2017 12:10 AM

THis is the second time someone has done this to a Crossfire.
I think I like the looks of this one even better than the last guy.

pizzaguy 06-25-2017 12:15 AM

I have posted this on Facebook - I suggest the guy gear up for mass production. :)

Speedy4x4 06-25-2017 06:59 AM

I like it, looks good.

A few site like uktow rating says towing rating for crossfire is 3,500 lbs.

Power Sedan 06-25-2017 08:38 AM

Wow, that is flat out cool, and very creative. Your mini cargo trailer is just as stylish, and compliments very well with the Crossfire!

InfernoRedXfire 06-25-2017 11:20 AM

Well done! Would a spare tire fit in the trailer?

buford05 06-25-2017 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by maggy55 (Post 889567)

I'm in the process of building one for my roadster to pull the cargo trailer I towed with my Harley. Sure limited to places to attach.

ultramac 06-26-2017 11:15 AM

Exactly what it reminded be of buford05 is a touring bike trailer. Small enough electric brakes aren't necessary. Spare tire mount on the back of the trailer or on the tongue would be helpful too. I can fit about the same amount of items in my Crossfire coupe as I can on my Ultra Classic when taking a road trip.

pop49 06-26-2017 10:17 PM

Looks fantastic ! Do you have any photos of the under body mounting by any chance?
Thank you

Crossfire Chuck 08-12-2017 12:41 AM

Any chance any of us might be able to purchase one? I have been wanting to do a hitch for a while now.

crazyfred 08-12-2017 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Crossfire Chuck (Post 892595)
Any chance any of us might be able to purchase one? I have been wanting to do a hitch for a while now.

Hi Chuck

This was designed and installed in his shop in Lowell, IN. There are lot of precise measurements that have to be taken in relation to the mounting holes and the receiver hitch that goes into the mounting tubes. Kinda like one size does not fit all.

Maybe he could fab up the pieces and send them to you and you could install them yourself. It mounts under the trunk pan, you have to remove the foam insert in the trunk so you can drill the mounting holes thru the trunk floor. When you mount the tubes, they have to be exactly the right distance apart to accept the removable part of the hitch. Mine is really tight, but there are no rattles and no play. It's pretty precise.

This really comes out of left field, you could ship him your car for the install. He works in his shop after his regular job and on the weekends. Kinda of an expensive alternative seeing where you are located.

I have pulled the trailer twice at speeds up to 80 mph, there was no sway, no bouncing. Pulled straight as an arrow and no hitch noise.

His name is Nick, he is one of the best fab guys I have meet. He also works on my company equipment and is one of the best steel and aluminum welders I have met. His cell phone is 219-712-7038

I would not want to install this myself due to all the precision that has to happen, but hey that's just me.

Crossfire Chuck 08-12-2017 07:15 PM

Thanks crazyfred, I'm gonna explore some local options first. Theres a place near by me that states " we install a hitch on anything". I think I will go and see what they have to say.....that whole drilling holes through my trunk floor my self make me a little nervous.....

russ1ell 09-17-2017 04:57 PM

Would appreciate more detail on the receivers on the car. If you can get some good pictures it would help. I like it.

Squirrel Crusher 09-18-2017 12:34 AM

Good Job....Maybe a rack for Drag Radials may be next??? Squirrel Crusher

White/Cedar 04-23-2018 08:53 AM

Wow, very nice. I need to do this for a jet ski trailer.