CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Roadster (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/)
-   -   Leaking Gas 2006 Roadster (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/77535-leaking-gas-2006-roadster.html)

Bayukbros 12-07-2017 10:45 AM

Leaking Gas 2006 Roadster

After a prolonged hiatus of not being started ( approx. 6 weeks ), my '06 Roadster starts
right up but gas leaks from the tube by the filler neck behind the passenger rear wheel;
good sized puddle ? After running and driving for a few minutes and anytime else, shutting
down and restarting, this does not happen .. runs and acts fine. No hesitation or engine
problem .. Thoughts as to why this happens only when the vehicle sits for several weeks ?
Thanks

DTMenace 12-07-2017 12:17 PM

Re: Leaking Gas 2006 Roadster

Originally Posted by Bayukbros (Post 898378)
After a prolonged hiatus of not being started ( approx. 6 weeks ), my '06 Roadster starts
right up but gas leaks from the tube by the filler neck behind the passenger rear wheel;
good sized puddle ? After running and driving for a few minutes and anytime else, shutting
down and restarting, this does not happen .. runs and acts fine. No hesitation or engine
problem .. Thoughts as to why this happens only when the vehicle sits for several weeks ?
Thanks

Bayukbros
Sounds like a classic TOPPING OFF of the gas tank, when the gas nozzle automatically clicks off, stop the fueling process.
Simple.....
Dennis
DTMenace

onehundred80 12-07-2017 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bayukbros (Post 898378)
Thanks

Has this happened more than once? Could it not be rain water laying under the gas flap? Parked on a hill?

Bayukbros 12-07-2017 02:48 PM

Thank you both for answering; exactly what I thought, just some overflow.. I agree .. and
yes, it has happened before, but I think it was over filled that time too. I will keep an eye
on it. And no, it was parked on a level surface ... Everyone have a very Merry Christmas
and Happy New Year !!

onehundred80 12-14-2017 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bayukbros (Post 898399)
Thank you both for answering; exactly what I thought, just some overflow.. I agree .. and
yes, it has happened before, but I think it was over filled that time too. I will keep an eye
on it. And no, it was parked on a level surface ... Everyone have a very Merry Christmas
and Happy New Year !!

I cannot see any logic in this explanation. If you fill the tank too much the pump nozzle shuts OFF.
If there is too much gas in the fill tube by the time you get home it will have used some gas and the level in the tube will have dropped. There is no way the gas will overflow just sitting there idle for a few weeks.

Padgett 12-14-2017 09:33 PM

Difference is was sitting "approx. 6 weeks ". Now if the fillup was at a low temperature and it then soaked at a higher temp, an overflow particularly when first started and recirculation is taking place then some weaping is likely. And there is a reason gas is called an "aeromatic hydrocarbon" , the human nose can detect a few parts per million.

onehundred80 12-14-2017 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett (Post 898700)
Difference is was sitting "approx. 6 weeks ". Now if the fillup was at a low temperature and it then soaked at a higher temp, an overflow particularly when first started and recirculation is taking place then some weaping is likely. And there is a reason gas is called an "aeromatic hydrocarbon" , the human nose can detect a few parts per million.

Aeromatic? What is that, aviation fuel.
This guy had puddles, not a smell.