Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

New Member '05 Roadster Limited with just under 20k miles. Info?

Old 10-25-2018, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Member '05 Roadster Limited with just under 20k miles. Info?

Hello my new Crossfire brothers/sisters. So glad to be here!

Just got my parents Crossfire out to my house in Los Angeles from back east...of the 19000 miles on it, I've probably put 10k of those on it..Love This Car in. And now it's mine! My build date on the door says 11/04 on this 05, and my Vin ends in 049153. So I take it this is the 49, 153rd off the Karmann line?

sure would love some help if any members want to fill me in on what they know...how many were made of these models? How many are left? Value?(I'm not getting rid of her).

She's running like a champ, but I also know cam/crank sensors should be replaced before it's a problem...thanks to this forum. Also, my first forum, so apologize in advance.

Last edited by Littledarlin; 10-25-2018 at 02:44 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot;)
Old 10-25-2018, 03:41 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Re: New Member 05 Roadster Limited with just under 20kmiles. Info?

Almost everything you will need to know is here, Except for how many are left and value. That varies by model, color, condition, mileage and where you and where you live as well as other factors.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Old 10-25-2018, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Almost everything you will need to know is here, Except for how many are left and value. That varies by model, color, condition, mileage and where you and where you live as well as other factors.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html
thanks for the info. Appears mine is 1 of 2300ish made in black that year (limited,roadster,US)

Old 10-25-2018, 05:45 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Littledarlin

Just got my parents Crossfire out to my house in Los Angeles from back east...of the 19000 miles on it, I've probably put 10k of those on it..Love This Car in. And now it's mine! My build date on the door says 11/04 on this 05, and my Vin ends in 049153. So I take it this is the 49, 153rd off the Karmann line?

sure would love some help if any members want to fill me in on what they know...how many were made of these models? How many are left? Value?(I'm not getting rid of her).

She's running like a champ, but I also know cam/crank sensors should be replaced before it's a problem...thanks to this forum. Also, my first forum, so apologize in advance.
Welcome, there is no need to replace those sensors if they are working OK, you may replace them with a part that fails next week. Fixing the RCM and the sticky ignition switch should be your priority’s.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

Welcome, there is no need to replace those sensors if they are working OK, you may replace them with a part that fails next week. Fixing the RCM and the sticky ignition switch should be your priority’s.
I've heard about the RCM fix...will need to find someone in Los Angeles xfire friendly mechanic to get ready for the issue. I haven't heard about a sticky key issue, and don't seem to be having any problem with my ignition. Does there tend to be one?

Old 10-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Welcome to the best forum for cars that I have ever been on (and that's quite a few). You'll find almost every quirk/issue/problem on these cars right here. One of the universal bits of advice is NEVER take her to a (stealership) dealership, they will drain your wallet and send you on your way. If you ever need to have work done, usually an independent Benz shop (foreign autos) will be able to help as it has the MB SLK-320 drivetrain. Best to you with this jewel!

Old 10-26-2018, 11:14 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

It is possible the sticky key fix has already been done. The RCM also. It doesn't hurt to purchase a spare RCM.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, you are right about the vin # being the build sequence.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:58 AM
Default Re: New Member '05 Roadster Limited with just under 20k miles. Info?

Welcome, this site is a god's send to Crossfire owners. Hope it does not go away. Great car and love mine.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
It is possible the sticky key fix has already been done. The RCM also. It doesn't hurt to purchase a spare RCM.
Thanks for your response! I don't think the sticky key or RCM have been fixed or replaced...I have all my folks service records and haven't found anything What exactly is/causes the sticky key problem? I've read about the RCM problems/fixes and will have a mechanic ready to do the soldering first if it's having problems.

RCM might have been the problem my parents were having back east. They thought it was a slow drain on the battery somewhere at the mechanics, because they haven't been driving her much...they'd go for weeks(maybe months without driving, and then *** wouldn't turn on. But if you gave her a jump, she'd continue to turn on fine with frequent driving. Seems to be fine out here though...no problems yet!🤞

Old 10-30-2018, 02:33 PM

It sounds like they may have experienced battery problems. Do you know how old the battery is?

Old 10-30-2018, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ambidextrous
It sounds like they may have experienced battery problems. Do you know how old the battery is?
don't think it was a battery issue. The issue happened when a new battery was put in too. I know the airbag light has been on for the last two years when I visited them and drove it. Maybe a quirk with that sensor and lack of being driven?

Not sure, but thankfully hasn't happened since I got her out here to California. Maybe she just wanted to get out of her winter garage and come out here to me.

love this car. Even in LA with. Porsche, MB, BMW, Maserati, etc. all around me...this car looks as current and progressive as anything around me.

just turned 20k miles yesterday!

Old 10-30-2018, 03:05 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

They thought it was a slow drain on the battery somewhere at the mechanics, because they haven't been driving her much...they'd go for weeks(maybe months without driving, and then *** wouldn't turn on. But if you gave her a jump, she'd continue to turn on fine with frequent driving. Seems to be fine out here though...no problems yet!��
The specified standby current runs on the order of 55mA. My car sits for three weeks at a time and is fine.
But if the car is sitting for MONTHS at at time, of course it wont start.

Shut the car off, pull out the key, close doors and trunk, pop hood.
Take ground cable off battery, insert ammeter - wait for 90-120 seconds for all modules to hibernate.
If you see more than 60mA (.06 amp) or so, you have more current flowing than there should be.
If you see 55ma (.055amp) or less, it is fine.
If you see ZERO current, you have the meter incorrectly connected or the meter's internal fuse is blown.

BUT, in any case, leaving it for months without a battery tender or a charger on a timer is going to mean a dead battery.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lucky you! & Welcome!
"Sticky key" I think is caused by a broken part in the ignition switch itself. Ours was replaced & no problem since. Crossfires tend to need a battery that is in good to excellent condition. A "load test" may be the best indicator because batteries slowly self destruct from lack of use or regular charging. I'm no tech but thanks to the forum I've tackled the crank position sensor & "RCM" successfully.
I've read about airbag light issues with those replaced because they had the Takata recall. Look for the correct "heading" to post specific questions. Best Wishes & Enjoy!