Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Bad rear speaker Xfire roadster

Old 01-07-2019, 08:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Bad rear speaker Xfire roadster

Originally Posted by James1549
Pat, is it possible that the roadster speaker area is different than the coupe speaker area?
It could be possible but I don't think thats the problem. Where the speaker and the plastic casing meet there isn't any room for the metal wall to fit where the speakers are suppose to sit. Plus even if I get the it to fit properly the speaker grill won't sit flush because the speaker sits to far outside the casing. I don't know how the speaker can fit unless its mounted without the plastic casing I may try the way the guy did on the SLK on the PDF file someone posted. I've replaced the foam rings on my subs twice now that why I was going another route with higher quality subs.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by ed1clark
I had my kickers installed professionally for around $ 400.00 including the speakers. No problem with the installation. You may want to consider this. I have the SRT6 roadster.
Did they use the Kicker 43CWRT672 sub woofers? If they did I bet they had to delete the plastic casings and make some kind of mounting brackets. I'd be curious to know!

Old 01-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I know is that they installed the new Kickers recommended in the video on this website, which they had in stock, and showed me the old speakers that were shot after the job was done. They did not show me the casings so I have to believe that they used them. Fortunately for me I found a first class car audio and Mercedes/BMW/Crossfire repair shop just minutes from where I live in Longwood, Fl. I just accidentally lucked out. They will be installing a new fuel pump & filter for about 1/3 the cost quoted by the Chrysler dealer under $500.00.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by ed1clark
All I know is that they installed the new Kickers recommended in the video on this website, which they had in stock, and showed me the old speakers that were shot after the job was done. They did not show me the casings so I have to believe that they used them. Fortunately for me I found a first class car audio and Mercedes/BMW/Crossfire repair shop just minutes from where I live in Longwood, Fl. I just accidentally lucked out. They will be installing a new fuel pump & filter for about 1/3 the cost quoted by the Chrysler dealer under $500.00.
When you get the extra work done by them could you ask them what they had to do with the casings to get them to fit and also how they were able to get the grills to snap back on because right now on mine as you can see in the pictures I posted the subs stick out to far for the grills to fit on the casings. I would be interested to find out how. Thanks

Old 01-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Pat,

The thing is, he does not know for SURE they used those speakers. Sure, they sound like a good shop, but if they used another speaker (knowing that he is not going to tear it apart to check), and he is HAPPY - what's the harm?

I'd lay money they used a different speaker, once they got in there. They sound knowledgeable and probably have various parts in stock (or locally available) and the tech knew right away what he could do to get it done - and I can see why they didn't tell him, no need to upset the customer when you can 'fix' it another way.

And for 29 years, I earned my pay in a similar way - the shop I worked at outfitted emergency vehicles. The guys would sub different parts often, just to get the job done and make the customer happy.

I'll bet that, when he asks them, they either make up some good sounding story, or they just tell him, "Yea, those speakers never would fit, we used the Google-tronics 4000's instead - they cost more, but we didn't bill you more".. And had they called him, he'd have told them to do that, anyway. Again, I see no harm in what I THINK they did.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 01-13-2019 at 02:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sussudio (01-31-2022)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Pat,

The thing is, he does not know for SURE they used those speakers. Sure, they sound like a good shop, but if they used another speaker (knowing that he is not going to tear it apart to check), and he is HAPPY - what's the harm?

I'd lay money they used a different speaker, once they got in there. They sound knowledgeable and probably have various parts in stock (or locally available) and the tech knew right away what he could do to get it done - and I can see why they didn't tell him, no need to upset the customer when you can 'fix' it another way.

And for 29 years, I earned my pay in a similar way - the shop I worked at outfitted emergency vehicles. The guys would sub different parts often, just to get the job done and make the customer happy.

I'll bet that, when he asks them, they either make up some good sounding story, or they just tell him, "Yea, those speakers never would fit, we used the Google-tronics 4000's instead - they cost more, but we didn't bill you more".. And had they called him, he'd have told them to do that, anyway. Again, I see no harm in what I THINK they did.

I would be curious what subs they used because I'm tired of fixing the ring on the subs I have I've done it 3 times now thats why I went with a higher quality sub. If they used the stock speaker grills then they still used the stock sub casing because thats what they snap into. I just can't believe some of the people that have used the Kickers say all you have to do is trim the casings and they work fine when the sub is too big to fit back into the hole after you have modified the casing. It won't fit in the hole or the grill won't fit on the casing. I'll figure something out but when it get a little warmer outside.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:46 PM

OK I have found the solution to the problem with the 43CWRT672 Kicker sub woofers not fitting back into the back wall of the car and its actually very simple. I've attached some pictures to show how to make the subs fit. You still have to trim one spot of the sub woofer casing but not other areas like the video shows posted earlier in this thread. To make the sub woofer work with the existing casing use a 3/8 inch spacer ring to move the sub out farther from the casing to give you more room between the sub and casing and to fit the wall when installing it in the car. You can purchase spacer rings on line but I used the existing ring from the stock subs with some 1/16 inch foam sheeting I bought at Michaels Arts and Crafts and glued between the casing and the spacer ring to avoid vibration of the 2 plastics. The spacer also allows you to use the stock grills since the subs now sits lower in the casing. You will have to use new screws to accommodate the spacer which are #8 x 1 1/4 inch. When installing the subs back into the car it is a bit snug but they will fit. With the new Kickers you can wire them like the the video shows in a previous post by just cutting the tabs off the spade connectors and inserting them into the push button connectors. I hope this helps anyone trying to do this because I came to dead end doing this just cutting the casing and installing the subs and the casing wouldn't fit back into the car plus the grills wouldn't fit.

Last edited by Iamfink2; 01-21-2019 at 09:30 PM.
lurk4ever (01-10-2021)
Old 01-21-2019, 06:48 PM

Last 2 pics.

lurk4ever (01-10-2021)
Old 01-21-2019, 07:23 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm glad you found a solution Pat. James

Old 01-21-2019, 08:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you located at. Would u be interested in installing mine. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Iamfink2
Last 2 pics.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by James1549
I'm glad you found a solution Pat. James
I knew I would come up with a solution with some time. I don't understand how all these other people have done this without any of the problems I had or didn't offer any the information on a solution. The sub casing wouldn't fit back in the hole of the car with out cutting some of the metal away which I was not going to do.(I did read one post where someone did that). Also you couldn't use the speaker grill because the back of the sub stuck out of the plastic casing to far to snap them back on. I have the subs back in and they fit good.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by austinbarrylee
Are you located at. Would u be interested in installing mine. Thanks.

I live in Maryland but I don't think I'm doing another one. Its not that hard just take your time, The hard part is figured out for everyone that plans on doing this.

Last edited by Iamfink2; 01-22-2019 at 01:56 PM.