CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Roadster (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/)
-   -   Convertible top repair cost (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/86293-convertible-top-repair-cost.html)

Panamamike 08-14-2023 11:01 AM

Convertible top repair cost

I know this car is basically a 1st gen SLK, but the top is cloth rather than metal. Does it share the same mechanism.to.put the top up and down? Is it more or less robust?

Info. Would be much appreciated.

pizzaguy 08-14-2023 11:14 AM

Re: Convertible top repair cost

YOu answered your own question. It's a FABRIC top, the system is not designed to move the weight of the hard top nor should it be built to those specs.

The system is adequate for the job at hand. Failures usually are with:

The small microswitches in all the interlocks.
The hall sensors on the cylinders.
Water damage to the CLP/SSM when water leaks in thru the lid seams or fuel door seal, which follows the wiring harness to the CLP/SSM and ruins it.

You put "cost" in your title, labor costs vary, it depends on what the problem is. GIven our experience with the platform since 2004, the collected brain trust here can remedy most issues relatively effectively.
But there is a cost to a sports car. A set of $480 tires for my Ranger lasts 80,000 miles. A $950 set of tires for the car lasts 15,000 to 18,000 miles. A new top runs $1100 if replaced by one of our "forum top guys", but that top lasts 10-15 years. Putting a top on my car cost less than $800 in 2020, that's NOTHING compared to the money I spend on tires.

Panamamike 08-14-2023 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 981888)
YOu answered your own question. It's a FABRIC top, the system is not designed to move the weight of the hard top nor should it be built to those specs.

The system is adequate for the job at hand. Failures usually are with:

The small microswitches in all the interlocks.
The hall sensors on the cylinders.
Water damage to the CLP/SSM when water leaks in thru the lid seams or fuel door seal, which follows the wiring harness to the CLP/SSM and ruins it.

You put "cost" in your title, labor costs vary, it depends on what the problem is. GIven our experience with the platform since 2004, the collected brain trust here can remedy most issues relatively effectively.
But there is a cost to a sports car. A set of $480 tires for my Ranger lasts 80,000 miles. A $950 set of tires for the car lasts 15,000 to 18,000 miles. A new top runs $1100 if replaced by one of our "forum top guys", but that top lasts 10-15 years. Putting a top on my car cost less than $800 in 2020, that's NOTHING compared to the money I spend on tires.

Tires only last 18k?..I'm sure other types could last longer. 1k isn't bad, the slk top would be around 4k.

onehundred80 08-15-2023 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Panamamike (Post 981912)
Tires only last 18k?..I'm sure other types could last longer. 1k isn't bad, the slk top would be around 4k.

Depends how you drive and the alignment, my rears lasted 20,00 miles and the fronts have approximately another 7,000 still to go.
My fronts were never aligned since I had the car as no shop I went to could not do it, seems they were perfect anyway.