CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire SRT6 (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-srt6/)
-   -   anyone have their tcm (transmission control module) fixed? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-srt6/42740-anyone-have-their-tcm-transmission-control-module-fixed.html)

vegassrt 05-18-2010 12:35 PM

anyone have their tcm (transmission control module) fixed?

Dearler finally stated that was the problem...car was in 2 weeks ago for nag ring repair...could they have messed something up? Do these modules fail often?

Blast Chamber 05-18-2010 02:14 PM

Re: anyone have their tcm (transmission control module) fixed?

If the TCM is what the nag ring & plug connect to inside the transmission, then absolutely the dealer could have messed it up during the repair. There is a picture somewhere on this forum of the broken electrical connectors that resulted from a plug being twisted as it was being inserted in the ring. When I did my leak repair a month ago I was very cautious when putting the plug back in. Putting it back in was not an easy thing to do, and I can see how a dealer mechanic in a hurry might have botched that part up.

Update: Picture is in this thread....

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...a-daaaa-4.html

tighed1 05-18-2010 03:30 PM

They don't repair them (TCM) they just replace them. FINALLY got mine replaced after waiting months for a new one. Seems for the SRT the part is on indefinate back order. Think the invoice was $1,200 for the part!

It's possible that the connector board in the trans is bad because of a overly "helpful" mechanic (see above mentioned post) and the TCM is still good so installing a new TCM will only result in damage to the new TCM and you will be back at square one.

Fortunately I had access to another SRT and was able to verify it was bad by swapping it.

Easy test is to install your TCM in a another SRT. If you don't have any near you then you can send me yours and I'll check it on my car.

If TCM is good I would inspect the trans connector board (PITA/messy) next. That would be the part the mechanic messed up.

cubanbee 01-12-2011 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1
They don't repair them (TCM) they just replace them. FINALLY got mine replaced after waiting months for a new one. Seems for the SRT the part is on indefinate back order. Think the invoice was $1,200 for the part!

It's possible that the connector board in the trans is bad because of a overly "helpful" mechanic (see above mentioned post) and the TCM is still good so installing a new TCM will only result in damage to the new TCM and you will be back at square one.

Fortunately I had access to another SRT and was able to verify it was bad by swapping it.

Easy test is to install your TCM in a another SRT. If you don't have any near you then you can send me yours and I'll check it on my car.

If TCM is good I would inspect the trans connector board (PITA/messy) next. That would be the part the mechanic messed up.

Man thats so crazy Ive had the same problem for more then a year coming and going with no mechanics having any idea what was up where you able to replace the tcm yourself or did you have to take it in to a tranny shop

F117NH 01-12-2011 10:46 AM

would you guys be able to give me a rundown on what the symptoms are of a bad TCM or connector board?
I had the xfire in the shop about 8 months ago for a tranny check and it came back with some kind of tranny/toque converter problem... aka I have a really bad vibration between 1100 and 1700 rpm in all gears and the car lerches when down shifting at low rpms, like stopping at a light, (this is a ltd 04) like when you shift in a manual and dont have enough gas. ps it also stalls with this problem at about idle in second if its cold.

is this something that the TCM or connector board would do?

coolx 03-31-2012 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1

From what I've read about the TCM, issues with"dronning", and other transmission problems, IMO, I need a new TCM. I have this part number TCM 5140514-AA.
I have a three part question:

1. where could I find this part?

2. is there alternate part number?

3. does it actually cost $1200.00??

I'd liked to fix this before it gets worse. I've had the car for 6 months and I noticed incidental dronning but it's getting louder and I notice a clunking when I am slowing down and it down shifts. tighed1 I know you have some experience with this - any help would be appreciated. :(

BLACKSRT-6 03-31-2012 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by coolx
From what I've read about the TCM, issues with"dronning", and other transmission problems, IMO, I need a new TCM. I have this part number TCM 5140514-AA.
I have a three part question:

1. where could I find this part?

2. is there alternate part number?

3. does it actually cost $1200.00??

I'd liked to fix this before it gets worse. I've had the car for 6 months and I noticed incidental dronning but it's getting louder and I notice a clunking when I am slowing down and it down shifts. tighed1 I know you have some experience with this - any help would be appreciated. :(

These sounds could also be made by a drive shaft mid bearing.