CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire SRT6 (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-srt6/)
-   -   Transmission Issue is Fixed... (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-srt6/51046-transmission-issue-fixed.html)

SoftballJunnkie 07-07-2011 06:33 PM

Transmission Issue is Fixed...

After a nightmare of trying to get this car back to working condition all I can say is I have a huge smile on my face and the car runs and shifts like new again.

For any of you guys who's cars go into limp mode more then likely its the electrical plate due to a bad speed sensor just to save u the hassle.

Chrysler told me it was a faulty TCM, went and bought one. Come to find out and after they admitted it that they told me wrong it was the electrical plate all along. Put new tranny fluid in and filter and the car is a whole new beast again.

For the guys that dont want to get ripped by Chrysler and their $22 per quart transmission fluid, I went and bought some Valvoline Full Synthetic Dexron 3 for 5.85 a quart and worked fine. Just a FYI.

Buggin 07-07-2011 07:26 PM

Re: Transmission Issue is Fixed.....

Originally Posted by SoftballJunnkie
I went and bought some Valvoline Full Synthetic Dexron 3 for 5.85 a quart and worked fine. Just a FYI.

Is that on the recommended fluid list? If you are refering to MaxLife, that is a blend. My best friend (since birth) owns a transmission repair shop and tells me to ALWAYS use a Benz spec fluid. There are specific friction modifiers for every transmission needs. These trannys are way to expensive to mess with. Note: I didn't buy from the dealer, but got the Shell MB spec fluid for $9/qt from an oil dealer.

Just my word of caution.

JimmyJames 07-07-2011 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Buggin
Is that on the recommended fluid list? If you are refering to MaxLife, that is a blend. My best friend (since birth) owns a transmission repair shop and tells me to ALWAYS use a Benz spec fluid. There are specific friction modifiers for every transmission needs. These trannys are way to expensive to mess with. Note: I didn't buy from the dealer, but got the Shell MB spec fluid for $9/qt from an oil dealer.

Just my word of caution.

PLEASE listen to this---owned a repair shop for 10 years---he is correct---today-okay---tomorrow-NOT !!!

SparkieSRT6 07-07-2011 08:22 PM

After a nightmare of trying to get this car back to working condition all I can say is I have a huge smile on my face and the car runs and shifts like new again.

For any of you guys who's cars go into limp mode more then likely its the electrical plate due to a bad speed sensor just to save u the hassle.

Chrysler told me it was a faulty TCM, went and bought one. Come to find out and after they admitted it that they told me wrong it was the electrical plate all along. Put new tranny fluid in and filter and the car is a whole new beast again.

So which source did you use to buy the Electrical Transmission Plate? https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...lve-plate.html
Did you buy the MB part or Chrysler #? How much?. Some of us may need this info in the future.

Thanks.

James1549 07-07-2011 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys I haven't studied or researched this, but it came from Ashland a while ago. I know MaxLife is not a blend. Take a look and tell me what you think.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...1&d=1310088916

James1549 07-07-2011 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And check this one out:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...1&d=1310089907

Unless someone can tell me why not to use it, I may do it when the time comes, maybe?

James

tighed1 07-07-2011 09:58 PM

Re: Transmission Issue is Fixed...

gonna watch this thread.

SoftballJunnkie 07-08-2011 02:09 AM

Buggin: no it's not the Max Life. It's the Valovline Dexron 3 Full Synthetic "Imports Only" and works with our engine/transmission I think it was # 236.10 or something like that on the back.

The tech at Chrysler made sure it was the correct one. I'll post a pic of it maybe u guys have seen it.

SoftballJunnkie 07-08-2011 10:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the bottle of what I used. Would like some feedback if u guys think its ok. Like I said the tech at Chrysler said it was ok or else he would of used what they had. So I assume its the correct one.

SparkieSRT6 07-08-2011 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
So which source did you use to buy the Electrical Transmission Plate? https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...lve-plate.html
Did you buy the MB part or Chrysler #? How much?. Some of us may need this info in the future.

Thanks.

Softball??

SoftballJunnkie 07-08-2011 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Softball??

Sorry Sparkie.

I went through this company: http://dodge-wholesale.com/catalog/p...ucts_id=276927

Although they told me they had 1 left in stock. Price was 272 + shipping. Part # 68049181AA

This company here seems to be the same company as above Mopar 68049181AA ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR

Two good sources though.

I didnt want to go off of ebay for the electrical plate since the part #'s didnt match and take a risk since my car had been sitting for a week and I needed to get it up and running, but if u wanna take a gamble this one is much cheaper:

Mercedes Benz Transmission Conductor Plate 1402701161 - Volkstoy Motorsports

My best advice if u get P0715 Turbine/Speed Sensor code or like mine I went awhile without a code and ur car keeps going into limp mode or completely stuck in limp mode check the electrical plate first, then the TCM, and then if u dont have an aftermarket IC pump that would be ur last resort.

Hope this helps someone if they ever get in this situation again. With the electrical plate replaced the car feels like new again and the car shifts so smooth. Before it was acting sluggish and shifting hard from 2nd to 3rd.

SparkieSRT6 07-08-2011 12:29 PM

Sorry Sparkie.

I went through this company: http://dodge-wholesale.com/catalog/p...ucts_id=276927

Although they told me they had 1 left in stock. Price was 272 + shipping. Part # 68049181AA

This company here seems to be the same company as above Mopar 68049181AA ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR

Two good sources though.

I didnt want to go off of ebay for the electrical plate since the part #'s didnt match and take a risk since my car had been sitting for a week and I needed to get it up and running, but if u wanna take a gamble this one is much cheaper:

Mercedes Benz Transmission Conductor Plate 1402701161 - Volkstoy Motorsports

My best advice if u get P0715 Turbine/Speed Sensor code or like mine I went awhile without a code and ur car keeps going into limp mode or completely stuck in limp mode check the electrical plate first, then the TCM, and then if u dont have an aftermarket IC pump that would be ur last resort.

Hope this helps someone if they ever get in this situation again. With the electrical plate replaced the car feels like new again and the car shifts so smooth. Before it was acting sluggish and shifting hard from 2nd to 3rd.

Thanks Softball,
I'm sure this info will be very helpfull to others down the road.

Glad your issues are resolved.:D

tunaglove 07-08-2011 02:11 PM

Thanks for following through and sharing the info.

IBLUBYU 07-08-2011 02:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just FYI ..... here is what I got on eBay when I had my tranny fluid drained and refilled. Bought from a Chyrsler dealer. Item #390304586948 , or search Ebay for "Sprinter Crossfire Automatic Fluid Mopar". A case of 8 qts is $129.98 plus $13.95 .... $17.61 /qt (sorry don't know how to do a linky)

Attachment 22578

Attachment 22579

rcompart 07-08-2011 06:13 PM

Just an FYI guys but there is really only one trans fluid that was designed SPECIFICALLY for these transmissions and it is the 236.10 spec from Mercedes which was Shell 3403 (MB P/N 001-989-21-03-10) and aside from old dealer stock, is only available now through FEBI who are the ones that originally packaged and distributed the OE Benz fluid in the first place. For the NA guys, you probably won't notice a difference with the 236.12 and 236.14 (both of which were designed for the 7-speed, NOT the 5-speed transmission) but the SRT6 guys will if you have an acute sense of how your car shifts. I would NOT run ANY other trans fluid regardless of what they say it's spec'd for as many are going off the older 722.5 and even the 722.4 transmission specs. These transmissions are pretty finicky and while everyone is entitled to use whatever fluid they choose in their car, I never have, nor will I in the future use a fluid not designed for the specific transmission it's going in. The 236.12 fluids were the first for the 7-speed and the .14 was a follow-up for customer complaints of firm shifting (read, they changed the friction modifiers for smoother shifting and more slip in the transmission)

So a rundown of the available trans fluids

236.10 - MB P/N 001-989-21-03-10 - Designed for the 722.6 5-speeds in our cars and will produce the firmest and most accurate shifts

236.12 - MB P/N 001-989-45-03-10 - Designed for the 722.9 7-speeds and MB also used it in the 5-speeds to reduce the number fluids they had to stock

236-14 - MB P/N 001-989-68-03-10 - Redesigned fluid for the 722.9 7-speeds to mitigate customer complaints of firm shifting

Buggin 07-08-2011 06:31 PM

Softball, you 'should' be fine with that as it says it meets 236.10 spec on it. FWIW, I have never seen that Valvoline before.

James, despite that letter, even the bottle says synthetic blend on it (at least a year ago when I changed my fluid).

IBLUBYU, that is still overpriced...

I couldn't find the Shell 3403, so I went with the newer Shell 3343 236.12 spec ($9/qt). It is compatible w/ the 5-sp, but like Rudy said, not specifically designed for our trans.

Bottom line, transmission fluids should not be treated like motor oil. You can't just put whatever you want in, if you want your tranne to operate correctly and last. Be sure you use a suitable, spec-approved fluid.

Flexzin03 07-18-2011 09:22 PM

I have this same problem with my 04' CrossFire!!!

It is always stuck in limp mode. Before it would slug into each gear...then only 1st and 2nd gears work, now ONLY 1st gear..cant drive it faster then 45ish mph.

I replaced the Transmission Speed Sensor, from the dealer it was $340. and the electrical plug I replaced while at it.

BUT it never did anything different for me, replacing the Transmission Speed Sensor didnt change anything. It is a black plastic plate that attaches to the valve body inside the Transmission...What do I do now?!?!

Sad to say, with other vehicles to drive (I have babies, an SUV is a must) This car has been sitting out-of-site, out-of-mind since July of 09'!!! Its time to get this thing back on the road!!!

Thank You all in advance for your insight!!!

SoftballJunnkie 07-18-2011 09:54 PM

I bet it's the transmission control module. It's basically the computer for the transmission electrical components. It sits under the passenger side floor board.

I went the opposite way u did. My TCM, connector, and then electrical plate.

I bet money it's ur TCM. I have a used one for sale if ur interested. Dealer wants $500+ unless ur under warranty. Let me know.

Flexzin03 07-18-2011 10:10 PM

I Messaged You!

oconnor 07-08-2012 02:43 AM

Thank you I will have a look