CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire SRT6 (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-srt6/)
-   -   SRT-6 Liftgate Leak On Spoiler Mounting Plate (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-srt6/53412-srt-6-liftgate-leak-spoiler-mounting-plate.html)

onehundred80 05-09-2016 08:52 AM

Re: SRT-6 Liftgate Leak On Spoiler Mounting Plate

Originally Posted by modernuser (Post 866014)
Where did you obtain those flat-wash o-rings of that diameter?

I got them from a place I used to work, but they are available at auto supply shops etc. A common item that is used everywhere.
The O-rings are 5/16" inside diameter x 7/16" outside diameter x 1/16" (#011). I'll check this size as they look a bit bigger in the photo.

modernuser 06-08-2016 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by modernuser (Post 866014)
Where did you obtain those flat-wash o-rings of that diameter?

Yea, I'm still leaking, and I think it's due to the o-rings I bought NOT being FLAT-WASH. I can find the correct diameter o-rings EVERYWHERE I shop, just not flat wash...

Also, I used industrial-strength weather stripping (much better than the "EPDM Cellular Rubber Weatherstrip Tape"). My father works at an industrial site, and knew where to purchase the aforementioned stripping. This being said, I think it HAS to be the non-flatwash o-ring washers.

onehundred80 01-14-2018 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by modernuser (Post 867948)
Yea, I'm still leaking, and I think it's due to the o-rings I bought NOT being FLAT-WASH. I can find the correct diameter o-rings EVERYWHERE I shop, just not flat wash...

Also, I used industrial-strength weather stripping (much better than the "EPDM Cellular Rubber Weatherstrip Tape"). My father works at an industrial site, and knew where to purchase the aforementioned stripping. This being said, I think it HAS to be the non-flatwash o-ring washers.

I just reread this post again and the washers are just plain O-rings and not flat washers. I missed emphasizing that they were just O-rings I did give the size though , #2-011 actually.

UrbanE 01-14-2018 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 900035)
I just reread this post again and the washers are just plain O-rings and not flat washers. I missed emphasizing that they were just O-rings I did give the size though , #2-011 actually.

I’m going to look into punching a new gasket out of a sheet of rubber. Unless someone has already tried it and experienced a poor seal. I am also considering Plumbers putty at the base of the uprights, in conjunction with o rings. The putty conforms to every shape, stays plyable in all conditions. Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated

onehundred80 01-14-2018 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by UrbanE (Post 900041)
I’m going to look into punching a new gasket out of a sheet of rubber. Unless someone has already tried it and experienced a poor seal. I am also considering Plumbers putty at the base of the uprights, in conjunction with o rings. The putty conforms to every shape, stays plyable in all conditions. Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated

The beauty of O-rings is that they are compressed and push against both surfaces that they are between, plumbers putty is just a seal and does not push against both surfaces to any great extent.
I was going to use O-rings and a putty type of seal at the top surface of the body. I then thought that if anything leaked past the top seal it would be harder to dry so I just used the O-rings.

UrbanE 06-13-2018 04:36 PM

Please confirm if this is the thread regarding the O ring sizes for the wing

Are the washers to be flat similar to existing or a Non-flat washers Ok as a subtitute

onehundred80 06-14-2018 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by UrbanE (Post 907145)
Please confirm if this is the thread regarding the O ring sizes for the wing

Are the washers to be flat similar to existing or a Non-flat washers Ok as a subtitute

Use O-rings, flat seals are not so good as they will not fit in the groove and may leak. O-rings compress easily and fill little imperfections that flat washers will not fill without the use of a sealant and some sealants will make it hard to remove the wing at a later date if they leak again. I fixed mine six plus years back and I have had no leaks.
The seal around the mounting plate is crucial and is originally a poor design. The new seal should be fitted so that no pockets of water sit under the plate. Some people have used silicone sealant but if it leaks because they did not put enough sealant in the varying gaps it will be hard to remove the plate to fix the problem.

turbomar 06-14-2018 10:14 PM

Looks like my car is showing signs of leakage. After a heavy rain, I observed water accumulation between the hatch seal and the trunk inner plastic liner near the striker pin

Valk 06-14-2018 10:40 PM

Be sure to remove the trunk floor Styrofoam on the passenger side and inspect that area where water collects
It damages the PSE module and the security module

turbomar 06-15-2018 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Valk (Post 907185)
Be sure to remove the trunk floor Styrofoam on the passenger side and inspect that area where water collects
It damages the PSE module and the security module

Got it, thanks!

onehundred80 06-15-2018 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by turbomar (Post 907192)
Got it, thanks!

The seal around the wing mounting plate is very poor and leads to big leaks.

philosophico 06-15-2018 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by turbomar (Post 907192)
Got it, thanks!

Remove the plug on the floor as well. It will prevent pooling of water in the future if this was to happen again.

Hope you caught it in time. I ended up needing to replace my security module.

Valk 06-15-2018 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by philosophico
Remove the plug on the floor as well. It will prevent pooling of water in the future if this was to happen again.

Ya thanks for adding this important step as I failed to post that

turbomar 06-16-2018 10:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys for the best advise!

turbomar 06-19-2018 12:38 PM

6 Attachment(s)
What I found:

UrbanE 06-19-2018 03:30 PM

Wow, Does that ever look familiar. Any cracks in the Wing at the top of the supports?

turbomar 06-20-2018 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by UrbanE (Post 907382)
Wow, Does that ever look familiar. Any cracks in the Wing at the top of the supports?

No cracks. I believe the SRT6 spoiler strut cracks are found on roadsters, a slight design difference