Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Installation of crossover manifold !!

Old 06-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Installation of crossover manifold !!

After a long delay due to cold weather, then pollen storms, and finally monsoons I got to replacing my intake manifold. I modified the larger Needswings intakes to include crossovers for better breather.

It took me an hour to do the swap, and then a quick trip around the block to confirm that everything was working as intended.

Details:

Pulling the manifold was easy as I glue the gaskets to the engine and add grease on the manifold side, so the gaskets typically can be reused. The driver side gasket was warped and had a 1/32” leak that was not noticable. The engine had thrown a code once for a higher than expected idle. Interesting.

I would have been done sooner but I had to drill and tap two vacuum ports for my electronic vacuum/boost gauge, fuel pressure management system which adjusts the rail fuel pressure. The installation was easy and the design that Rob came up with was very superior to my initial approach. It was necessary for me to fight the crossover hoses, this new design was easy pezie, well done Rob.

The appearance is very attractive, functional, and well thought out. I can not attest to the improvement power wise, but it sounds good and I believe the exhaust is a bit more present in tone.

If you want about 20 more HP, this is a no stress way to your goal. Pullys give you more boost at the stress on the idlers and belt. With this manifold the boost YOU SEE will be lower than you have had before, BECAUSE THERE IS BETTER FLOW AND LESS BACK UP RESTRICTION IN THE MANIFOLDS. A gain in power and a bit more response, whats not to like.

The album has the photos of the installation and some details about my approach to this project. Please take a see:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/g/album/9974883

Enjoy WDY

Last edited by waldig; 06-07-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Installation of crossover manifold !!

This has raised the crossovers , what , 3/4" ? Makes nice straight lines an good aesthetics. Good attention to the detail. Plus 20 HP? Would that be Roadrunner orange? ....

Old 06-08-2018, 07:27 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Runs Great , Looks Great !!
Ken

Old 06-08-2018, 08:17 AM
Talking Re: Installation of crossover manifold !!

The color is the BEST paint money can buy - Orange rattle can from Lowes, enjoy. Woody

Old 06-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
The color is the BEST paint money can buy - Orange rattle can from Lowes, enjoy. Woody
Hi, I‘m confused. You say you can’t attest to the power..did you mean you can attest? Because you go on to say the crossovers are worth 20 hp? I’m interested in upgrading my tweaked manifolds, but not if there isn’t a significant objective gain. I appreciate your continued efforts to update the SRT in any case!

Thanks

Old 06-09-2018, 09:47 PM

I cant see a gain OVER THE PROTOTYPE MANIFOLDS I MADE YEARS BACK. There is at least 20 hp gain over stock intakes. Please understand my " old " manifolds were the first crossover manifolds. Please review the photos. Woody

Old 06-12-2018, 12:03 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the clarification! However, I don't have stock manifolds, I have the tweaked Needswings manifolds. So, I still don't now if it's clearly beneficial to upgrade. I DON"T want to irritate you or anyone else. I'm very very grateful for your contributions to this great car.

I cant see a gain OVER THE PROTOTYPE MANIFOLDS I MADE YEARS BACK. There is at least 20 hp gain over stock intakes. Please understand my " old " manifolds were the first crossover manifolds. Please review the photos. Woody

Old 06-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Talking Re: Installation of crossover manifold !!

I apologize for this question, but please clarify the tweeked manifolds? Are they crossover styles or just large volume manifolds with interior coating?

The larger manifolds increase power. The crossover manifolds add an additional 20 HP or so manifolds over the larger manifolds.

Were approaching the end of the line for upgrades and each revision is drawing from the well the last bits of power available to be had. Its been an interesting and long path. I started on 9/11/2010 when I got my crossfire thru Ebay.

Enjoy, Woody

Old 06-15-2018, 01:57 PM

I apologize for this question, but please clarify the tweeked manifolds? Are they crossover styles or just large volume manifolds with interior coating?

The larger manifolds increase power. The crossover manifolds add an additional 20 HP or so manifolds over the larger manifolds.

Were approaching the end of the line for upgrades and each revision is drawing from the well the last bits of power available to be had. Its been an interesting and long path. I started on 9/11/2010 when I got my crossfire thru Ebay.

Enjoy, Woody
I am in the process of doing the crossovers now, I started on the car in 2012. Other than a couple of cooling mods, I, too, have reached the end of the HP road. Maybe a young hotshot will come up with some new mods.

Last edited by JEFASOLD; 06-15-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:43 PM
Forum Regular

Hi Jim, Can you let us know about your experience with the crossovers, and what if any changes it makes to power, fuel flow and air/fuel ratio? I'm hoping that the lower relative manifold pressure spikes will ease fuel flow since I'm at the end of the road without major fuel system changes.

thanks
Dave

Old 06-18-2018, 10:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Some cams at a descent price would be nice.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speedy, I agree 2 sticks with 12 bumps total for 2500 is pricey. kleemanns. the price per lobe sux
descend to an even 1800 would be easier to justify..to myself

Old 06-19-2018, 07:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pjpsrt
speedy, I agree 2 sticks with 12 bumps total for 2500 is pricey. kleemanns. the price per lobe sux
descend to an even 1800 would be easier to justify..to myself
$139 per lobe, falls under the wtf catagory
definitely alot more than a chevy cam, LoL