Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Battery holder corrosion

Old 03-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Battery holder corrosion

Since I bought the SRT6 I've been battling corrosion on the battery holder and the metal strap that goes over the top. The battery is an Exide 48-60 which I believe is after-market. I plugged both the overflow pipes on the top of the battery, figuring it was leaking fluid from one of them, but it continues. I remove, scrape, paint and re-install the battery tray at least twice annually and the problem re-occurs. The acid crap (white, crumbly stuff) even got under the battery holder and rotted that vacuum line that goes "who knows where". When I put the car in storage in November it was relatively clean and I ran a battery tender all winter. Just pulled it out today and had to pull the battery, clean and paint again. If I had been running it I would expect a bad alternator that was over charging the battery, but it was not run all winter. I'm wondering if it is a bad or incorrect battery. PS - I stored my roadster the exact same way, with the original battery, and it is perfectly dry with zero corrosion. Anyone have suggestions??

Old 03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Re: Battery holder corrosion

Originally Posted by Goldwing
Since I bought the SRT6 I've been battling corrosion on the battery holder and the metal strap that goes over the top. The battery is an Exide 48-60 which I believe is after-market. I plugged both the overflow pipes on the top of the battery, figuring it was leaking fluid from one of them, but it continues. I remove, scrape, paint and re-install the battery tray at least twice annually and the problem re-occurs. The acid crap (white, crumbly stuff) even got under the battery holder and rotted that vacuum line that goes "who knows where". When I put the car in storage in November it was relatively clean and I ran a battery tender all winter. Just pulled it out today and had to pull the battery, clean and paint again. If I had been running it I would expect a bad alternator that was over charging the battery, but it was not run all winter. I'm wondering if it is a bad or incorrect battery. PS - I stored my roadster the exact same way, with the original battery, and it is perfectly dry with zero corrosion. Anyone have suggestions??
You need a new battery, do not fight it as you cannot win.
Plugging the over flow vents will force the leak somewhere else.
A common point of leakage is around the posts, it was very common in the days of battery cases made from pitch.

There could of course be a fine crack in the case somewhere as well. The leak may be nearly invisible and it escapes in a gaseous vapor and condensates, the battery tender gently 'bubbles' the acid, hydrogen, and the vapors escape. The vents are there for a purpose and if they were really tight and there was no leakage the gases inside could blow the case open, one spark and it would be all over you engine bay.

Those green and red felt washers you can put around the posts solve small leaks for a while until they are used up.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:00 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What make and model of battery tender do you use? I'll bet it is making your battery boil over.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Received 374 Likes on 324 Posts

+1 on posts 2 and 3. New battery (with the overflow attachment) and a check up on tender or new battery tender. A bad cell will also cause the tender to overcharge because it'll never get to the point where the current/voltages throttle back the tender. New batt as a minimum and maybe a tender as well.