Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

SRT 6 exhaust

Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: SRT 6 exhaust

Originally Posted by JHM2K
2.25" X, and neither option.

Most exhaust shops have pipe "spreaders" that can flare the ends of a pips so they fit snugly over each other. Do that, and secure the pipes with a clamp. Butt-welding can create turbulence in the pipe, if the welder isn't very skilled.
Perfect! Ordering the "X" right now!

Old 03-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tri_zombie
I'm using a custom 3" SS true dual exhaust with racing cats, x-over and magnaflow race specific mufflers.
Dyno results: EXHAUST ONLY on stock tune GAINS 17HP 18TQ
Wow, that is impressive. I thought the stock SRT-6 exhaust was a good factory setup.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
Wow, that is impressive. I thought the stock SRT-6 exhaust was a good factory setup.
First off, you are responding to a 2 year old post. Second, I doubt those HP claims as many guys have tried almost every imaginable set up and haven't found significant gains. A 3in dual exhaust should result in lower flow rate and less scavaging effect as the stock system is 2 1/4 inch pipe.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
First off, you are responding to a 2 year old post. Second, I doubt those HP claims as many guys have tried almost every imaginable set up and haven't found significant gains. A 3in dual exhaust should result in lower flow rate and less scavaging effect as the stock system is 2 1/4 inch pipe.
Have you heard about using google and finding an old thread that is relevant to your question so you do not make a new thread to clutter up the search function?

So in other words, stock SRT-6 setup works fine for minor bolt ons. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock setup works fine with a bunch of bolt-ons. I can't remember how many people complain of drone or not liking the sound of aftermarket exhausts just to go back to stock. I could care less about the exhaust, I'm all about that SC whine!!

Old 03-20-2015, 10:46 PM

^Word. Good enough for me. Thanks man, Stock exhaust does look great too.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:56 AM

I've got straight pipes to stock muffler and I'd say that the car doesn't sound like a muscle car. It's quiet. The sound it does make is like water bubbles popping. Soft and squishy. For contrast, I just took off the Borla exhaust and resonator that were on the car when I bought it used. That was a terrible racket. It vibrated the car enough to make the interior rattle, it droned like crazy at 20000-2400RPM, and it sounded more muscley but in an aggressive noise kind of way. Not a smooth loud roar. I took out a decibel meter and it showed 100 dB with the borla, and is low 80s (1/4 as loud) with the straight pipe to stock muffler. That's just road noise and wind.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts

I have the same system,,, the big difference is I made headers and downpipes Headers 2.0 off engine to 2.5 header 2.5 each side, to a single 3" pipe to the muffler. I get no bubbling ,,i just get a nice LOUD (except at idle) exhaust. go to New IAT reading for exhaust sound ,u will need head set at the end of the video is the exhaust sound. jim

Old 04-21-2017, 04:19 PM

Hey there Jim (amx1397), thanks for the info. I'm not 100% on everything that the previous owner has on this car. I just assume he replaced everything with something directly from Needwings .com, unless I can prove otherwise. I know my headers are aftermarket because they don't look like the stock picture, though I don't know the diameter, cuz Needswings doesn't seem to list the measurements for the "NeedsWings r193/r170 Exhaust Manifolds" they have for sale. But I know I have 2x 2.5" stainless (Burns Stainless Products) coming out of the headers into a single pipe, just like yours. ( I replaced the scraped exhaust clamps, so I had to know the size.) I will put the car on a lift tonight and see if I can get a measure on the size of the last couple feet of pipe before the muffler. If I can get a 50 dollar cut and weld to install a couple feet of three inch pipe, and get a more aggressive sound, without drone, I'd be all smiles.
I was just going through your profile, and your youtube page, Jim. I noticed you have done an engine swap on your car? I can't really hope to have the exhaust noises of your 8 cyl 5.5L beast in my 3.2L car, not with the same exhaust system at least. The Borla made me sound like a freight train or something.

Last edited by TheThomaswastaken; 04-21-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheThomaswastaken
Hey there Jim (amx1397), thanks for the info. I'm not 100% on everything that the previous owner has on this car. I just assume he replaced everything with something directly from Needwings .com, unless I can prove otherwise. I know my headers are aftermarket because they don't look like the stock picture, though I don't know the diameter, cuz Needswings doesn't seem to list the measurements for the "NeedsWings r193/r170 Exhaust Manifolds" they have for sale. But I know I have 2x 2.5" stainless (Burns Stainless Products) coming out of the headers into a single pipe, just like yours. ( I replaced the scraped exhaust clamps, so I had to know the size.) I will put the car on a lift tonight and see if I can get a measure on the size of the last couple feet of pipe before the muffler. If I can get a 50 dollar cut and weld to install a couple feet of three inch pipe, and get a more aggressive sound, without drone, I'd be all smiles.
I was just going through your profile, and your youtube page, Jim. I noticed you have done an engine swap on your car? I can't really hope to have the exhaust noises of your 8 cyl 5.5L beast in my 3.2L car, not with the same exhaust system at least. The Borla made me sound like a freight train or something.
Welcome to the forum. I would recommend you reach out to DTMenace and give him your VIN -- chances are high that with your car having that many mods, he can see the previous forum member to own it. From there, we can do a post search and you can probably find VERY detailed threads about each mod.

Just food for thought...

Old 04-21-2017, 05:44 PM

if u have needswings headers ( tube headers) pic please then all u need from each header 2.5 to a single 3" 3" to the muffler, the muffler will blow out in about 15000 milesw and then you get the right sound. with the 3.2 ,6cyl.
if I can help let me know

Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TheThomaswastaken
I've got straight pipes to stock muffler and I'd say that the car doesn't sound like a muscle car. It's quiet. The sound it does make is like water bubbles popping. Soft and squishy. For contrast, I just took off the Borla exhaust and resonator that were on the car when I bought it used. That was a terrible racket. It vibrated the car enough to make the interior rattle, it droned like crazy at 20000-2400RPM, and it sounded more muscley but in an aggressive noise kind of way. Not a smooth loud roar. I took out a decibel meter and it showed 100 dB with the borla, and is low 80s (1/4 as loud) with the straight pipe to stock muffler. That's just road noise and wind.
TheThomaswastaken
Listed below is the link that has been maintained for all SRT6 owners, of the VIN#'s collected by some of our current and past owners. See if your VIN# is listed, and if not, supply me with the last 5 numbers, coupe or roadster and the exterior color.
Welcome to the forum, it contains 99% of the information you will ever need to maintain the SRT6.
Dennis
DTMenace
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...continued.html

Old 04-22-2017, 12:09 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I don't have any pictures now of the headers. Cuz all my pictures are from below the car and you can't see the headers, from below, until you take the exhaust off. I just registered on srt6 .com and the car was already registered, 5x037675. Aero Blue

Here's the exhaust I had removed, by the way.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397
if u have needswings headers ( tube headers) pic please then all u need from each header 2.5 to a single 3" 3" to the muffler, the muffler will blow out in about 15000 milesw and then you get the right sound. with the 3.2 ,6cyl.
if I can help let me know
I love the sound of my duals with MF muffler, and no drone
Is louder out the back, quieter in the seat.
Mine in a N/A not a srt.

The following users liked this post:
VaderMarine (11-07-2020)
Old 04-22-2017, 07:03 PM

Well, it looks like stock headers. I was wrong about them being aftermarket. Here's a picture of my engine bay, also. Just under 35,000 miles so far. And it looks to me like a few things have been changed in here. A cold air intake, some cutoff valves between intercooler coolant and radiator coolant, an extra pulley I think.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:58 PM

looking at the pictures, aftermarket parts,, you have a needewings single intake,,,,,a small SC pulley maybe 65mm or 62mm , with belt rap kit , , and best of all needswings intake manifolds, go to NeedsWings.com and check out what all this cost, close to $3000.00
the exhaust manifolds are stock. i don;t think you have a catch can, left side of engine near shock tower.
with all these goodies i would think you have a ecu upgrade, it does not make sense to have those performance upgrades and not have the ecu and maybe the tcu upgraded. jim

Old 05-01-2017, 09:59 AM

I'm a couple weeks into having this straight pipe to stock muffler setup. I don't like the sound still, but I do like the quiet. I can launch from a red light without waking every sleeping cop for a half mile.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397
looking at the pictures, aftermarket parts,, you have a needewings single intake,,,,,a small SC pulley maybe 65mm or 62mm , with belt rap kit , , and best of all needswings intake manifolds, go to NeedsWings.com and check out what all this cost, close to $3000.00
the exhaust manifolds are stock. i don;t think you have a catch can, left side of engine near shock tower.
with all these goodies i would think you have a ecu upgrade, it does not make sense to have those performance upgrades and not have the ecu and maybe the tcu upgraded. jim
This was TommyT's car, so unless he removed them prior to sale, he should also have the NW catless downpipes with cutouts

That was a VERY fast car when Tommy had it.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:25 PM

Now that you point it out, I'm looking at the NW site. That's what I have , but no cutouts. I didn't recognize it from below the car, hmm. The needswings site explicitly states no drone. Mine was all drone. I didn't know what drone meant until my ears were filled with that noise. It felt like those spongey earplugs that you squish and put in your ear, then let them expand. It was a sense of pressure inside your head. I still have the needswings downpipes, from the stock header, then the downpipes are attached to a y-pipe which goes to the stock muffler, now. The overall exhaust tone is quiet and not very aggressive sounding after taking off the borla muffler and accompanying resonator. The exhaust system had taken damage, though. I replaced the exhaust clamps because they had been scraped until they sheared through and snapped. The resonator had big gouges and dents. The borla muffler was hanging by one hook on the muffler, since the other had broken at the weld and was hanging loose. The car was literally sitting on the ground when I got it, the adjustable springs were fully retracted. There was no suspension engaging, the rear sway bar was resting directly on the rear camber arms. I had to extend the Ground Control adjustable sway bar links just stop the suspension pieces from rubbing. The car is dizzyingly fast. I'm doing what I can to put it to rights. Brakes need to be bled again and an alignment done before I really can tell what it'll do.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:31 PM

Double-posted, oops.

Last edited by TheThomaswastaken; 05-01-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Double-posted, want to delete.

Quick Reply: SRT 6 exhaust