Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

howling diff

Old 08-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default howling diff

Changing the diff oil did nothing for the noise coming from the back end and after some more driving I had to park it, it was really howling. The first real issue I have had and evidently not an uncommon problem. Now, what to do? I read the previous threads on this but I have a few Q's about this. It seems to be recommended to change the diff, however, I am living on a shoestring, ie. Social Security, so a new replacement is out of the question. Has anyone had success changing the bearings, or replacing the ring and pinion gears and bearings? Is there some recommended sources for affordable parts for the diff? Any help would be appreciated. I'm not an expert on rear ends (cars that is) but I expect to become one.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:32 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: howling diff

Here's one at $142 with an "make an offer", which usually means they will accept 10 - 15% less :

2004-05-06-07-2008 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE DIFFERENTIAL V6 | eBay

OOPS !! overlooked that you have an SRT6, those have different axle ratios than the NA's.
Try contacting Jim (amx1397), I believe he has lots of SRT6 differential stuff.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 08-13-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:30 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Changing the diff oil did nothing for the noise coming from the back end and after some more driving I had to park it, it was really howling. The first real issue I have had and evidently not an uncommon problem. Now, what to do? I read the previous threads on this but I have a few Q's about this. It seems to be recommended to change the diff, however, I am living on a shoestring, ie. Social Security, so a new replacement is out of the question. Has anyone had success changing the bearings, or replacing the ring and pinion gears and bearings? Is there some recommended sources for affordable parts for the diff? Any help would be appreciated. I'm not an expert on rear ends (cars that is) but I expect to become one.
If you had the noise you should have fixed it there and then.with failed bearings the gears get a wear pattern on them that cannot be corrected and even with new bearings the diff will still make a noise.
My wife kept driving a Mustang like that and the noise got worse and worse until I found out when I drove it one day, the noise was unbearsble to me, I asked her how she listened to the radio and she said she turned the radio up all the way. To save money and teach her a lesson I just changed the bearings send let her hear the slight whine from the diff from then on. I asked her why she had not told me of the noise, she said she kept forgetting to mention it.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If you had the noise you should have fixed it there and then.with failed bearings the gears get a wear pattern on them that cannot be corrected and even with new bearings the diff will still make a noise.
My wife kept driving a Mustang like that and the noise got worse and worse until I found out when I drove it one day, the noise was unbearsble to me, I asked her how she listened to the radio and she said she turned the radio up all the way. To save money and teach her a lesson I just changed the bearings send let her hear the slight whine from the diff from then on. I asked her why she had not told me of the noise, she said she kept forgetting to mention it.
It was very slight noise when I changed the oil, then drove it 5 miles to town and back when it increased exponentially, then parked it.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Here's one at $142 with an "make an offer", which usually means they will accept 10 - 15% less :

2004-05-06-07-2008 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE DIFFERENTIAL V6 | eBay

OOPS !! overlooked that you have an SRT6, those have different axle ratios than the NA's.
Try contacting Jim (amx1397), I believe he has lots of SRT6 differential stuff.
Thanks, I'll do that. I also thought maybe Rob, at NW might have some goodies. So what bearings need to be replaced? Pinion bearings?

Last edited by JEFASOLD; 08-13-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:02 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: howling diff

Going to carlisle I was driving and passed a truck briskly, then a noise started, got 50 miles and all the teeth fell off the pinion. Dont mess around, swap it out as noise is more than bearings likely and you dont wanna mess with a blown rear. I went to wavetrack rear, but you can get a used rear and yes ROB is a good start ing point.

Woody

Old 08-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts

Jim F,, I assume it is stock rear ,,a 3.07 correct ,, I have a 307 for $100.00,,picked up or $200 shipped or delivered. I have to check you may have to use your yoke, and the real problem is i am out of town for a month or so. I may be able to bring it to the dragon,, I don't remember where you are located, the 200 shipped would still be charged, if mailed or delivered to the dragon, I have two one has 48000 miles and the other has 60 so both are good. send me a pm where u r jim

Old 08-14-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
Jim F,, I assume it is stock rear ,,a 3.07 correct ,, I have a 307 for $100.00,,picked up or $200 shipped or delivered. I have to check you may have to use your yoke, and the real problem is i am out of town for a month or so. I may be able to bring it to the dragon,, I don't remember where you are located, the 200 shipped would still be charged, if mailed or delivered to the dragon, I have two one has 48000 miles and the other has 60 so both are good. send me a pm where u r jim

I appreciate the offer but without the Xfire, I probably wouldn't come to the Dragon. I'd like to get it fixed a bit sooner so I'm looking at one on Ebay. It's a few more $s than buying bearings but a lot less hassle,. I also have to check with Rob.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:58 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I appreciate the offer but without the Xfire, I probably wouldn't come to the Dragon. I'd like to get it fixed a bit sooner so I'm looking at one on Ebay. It's a few more $s than buying bearings but a lot less hassle,. I also have to check with Rob.
Make sure you get the SRT6 one, don't let them trick you into accepting the NA diff ....

Old 08-15-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Make sure you get the SRT6 one, don't let them trick you into accepting the NA diff ....
Right, I am aware of the different ratios but thanks. They don't miss a trick on this forum!

Old 09-20-2017, 12:31 AM

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. While removing my rotors in preparation for changing the diff, I noticed the shoe connecting spring on the rear driver side drum brake had dislodged and was wedged against the rotor also allowing the shoes to contact the rotor. So this may be the sound I was hearing. I need to reassemble things properly and see if this corrects the noise problem.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. While removing my rotors in preparation for changing the diff, I noticed the shoe connecting spring on the rear driver side drum brake had dislodged and was wedged against the rotor also allowing the shoes to contact the rotor. So this may be the sound I was hearing. I need to reassemble things properly and see if this corrects the noise problem.
I'm willing to bet you've found your noise.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kingdav1954
I'm willing to bet you've found your noise.
I certainly hope so, then I'll have a diff available.