Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Building lightweight Lithium car battery 10lbs!

Old 12-22-2017, 03:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Building lightweight Lithium car battery 10lbs!

]What is the difference between a acr relay and a battery isolator?
And need larger than 120 amp, minimum 180 amp.
Or does a acr work better for charging to different kinds of batteries like a agm as main and a lithium cell pack?
I would be putting cells together then either coating in tool dip, urethane undercoating / bed liner or making a box and pouring some plastic then taking out of mold.

TY
Speedy

Amazon Amazon

Old 12-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an acr (automatic charging relay) hooks between your primary and remote battery . when you start your car and the voltage of your primary battery goes over 13.6 (varies depending on manufacture) the acr combines your 2 batteries so your remote can charge . when the voltage drops below 12.9 it disconnects so as not to drain the main battery . we use them when we wire boats and have starting battery and House battery .

Old 12-23-2017, 01:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it looks legit I will buy one.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

How well would these work as house batteries on an RV?

Old 01-25-2018, 05:13 PM

Any local Canuks interested on some of these cells? I wouldn't mind getting some, and due to the special shipping requirements for these, it would be easer to group ship them if anyone else is interested.

Also I haven't had a chance to do research on these cells yet, but anyone know the C rating of the cells.

Last edited by Sik Srt-6; 01-25-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:06 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Sik Srt-6
Any local Canuks interested on some of these cells? I wouldn't mind getting some, and due to the special shipping requirements for these, it would be easer to group ship them if anyone else is interested.

Also I haven't had a chance to do research on these cells yet, but anyone know the C rating of the cells.
I see you have a Johnson IC pump, these fell out of favour when the Bosch 010 came out. They seemed to fail too soon, many people use them though so maybe I am mistaken. Replace it with the Bosch when it fails though. That’s my thoughts, l had a Johnson but I purchased the 010 and put it in as preventive maintenance the original was still working at the time.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I see you have a Johnson IC pump, these fell out of favour when the Bosch 010 came out. They seemed to fail too soon, many people use them though so maybe I am mistaken. Replace it with the Bosch when it fails though. That’s my thoughts, l had a Johnson but I purchased the 010 and put it in as preventive maintenance the original was still working at the time.

Funny you mention that. My Johnson pump has probably no more then 1500km since I installed it. I drove the car maybe for a week last year, and was having issues with excessive IAC temps. This spring I was going to see if by fluke a pc of Teflon tape or crud plug up the pump inlet (I could always hear the pump run, but being a mag drive pump that's not always the case). I have the "always on ic pump" mod, and noticed I was loosing power after a few min of driving, upon closer inspection, I was getting 60-70 +80c intake temps during casual driving.

I think I have a Bosch 010 in my stash of parts from another different project.

Yes its been a while since ive visited the forum, letalone drive my car

Last edited by Sik Srt-6; 01-25-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:03 PM

sp6162 on here (mike O.) ordered a case of the 11ah ( he is building the same battery to start a v8 dragster) he lives in canada . i could combine canadian orders and save a lot on shipping for you guys .

Old 02-19-2018, 03:20 PM

built 3 different versions . all thre have the same cells but differ in connection method .

the one on the left does the connections inside the box , close the lid and a very neat install. this one requires you to change your battery cable ends .

the center one with the connections on the sides , this version allows the top to be opened with cables connected , looks coll with the red and black *****.

the right one is more of a conventional attachment , this is the version i'm putting in the boat for clearance . you can keep your existing ends on your cables and you can easily attach jumper cables to it to jump another car .

all three have been installed in my crossfire and fit easily.

the one on the left has potting material pour into it . The wires are optional if a bms is desired .

Old 02-19-2018, 04:50 PM

I don't know what current flows through the Crossfire starter motor, but I imagine it's a lot more than 100 Amperes. Have you measured the battery voltage when the starter s cranking? I don't see how the small diameter interconnection wires can handle the starter current; help me understand...

Old 02-19-2018, 05:01 PM

Those wires don't carry any load they are for testing individual cell voltages . Inside of the pink heat shrink are the tabs that are spring clipped and screwed together . I had this attachment method tested at Enerdale labs for high current loads for 10 seconds , they showed no heat increase . We use the same connections on our electric car cells and they move hundreds of amps on a continuous load at 80 volts with no problems.

Last edited by king happy; 02-19-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:12 PM

Good, thank you!

Old 02-19-2018, 05:12 PM

here are some pictures of them in the car .

This is actually the correct version for the hidden cables , the potted one on the left above was a version my partner a retired electrical engineer did for the fun of it . There is no need to pot them together. This is clipped together but wires not added yet.

on this install i use a safety cover over the positive terminal , they are mandated in boats.

the studs are protected by the caps.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:15 PM

The hidden cable version installed.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:08 PM
Forum Regular

I think my battery is dying. My spoiler is lifting up now and then when the car sits for a couple days after I start it up. How much? I live in Canada. I am worried about safety XD.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:41 PM

Alex , we sold out of them , 30,000 cells ! The high end audio guys and one of the Lithium battery manufactures bought pallets . They have been great in my cars and boat . A few people on here got some . One of the guys had a big stereo system in his xf and the lights would dim when he turned it up . He put in 11ah of these and his light quit dimming . I just ordered some cells from China to test out . They are the same chemistry but the tube format with threaded ends , so very easy to assemble . Will put them on my test bench and beat on them for a while to see how they do . If interested will update here .

mike

Old 12-06-2018, 06:32 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by king happy
Alex , we sold out of them , 30,000 cells ! The high end audio guys and one of the Lithium battery manufactures bought pallets . They have been great in my cars and boat . A few people on here got some . One of the guys had a big stereo system in his xf and the lights would dim when he turned it up . He put in 11ah of these and his light quit dimming . I just ordered some cells from China to test out . They are the same chemistry but the tube format with threaded ends , so very easy to assemble . Will put them on my test bench and beat on them for a while to see how they do . If interested will update here .

mike
oh . Thanks. I guess my battery will die before I can get one of these.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:45 AM

One thing i did learn . The battery i originally built is 22ah . It appears the XF has a pretty decent power drain when not in use . After 2 weeks the battery is getting low . I'm probably going to increase it to 33ah for additional capacity . Fyi the last 22ah i built showed 1100 cca . So that would make the 33ah somewhere above 1500cca .

Old 03-18-2019, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

King Happy is there anyway i can still build one of these? Some other source. I cant't believe i didnt pull the trigger when I had the chance. Where are you sourcing the upgrade from the 22 to the 33ah stuff.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:32 AM

Scboost . I kept some cells for myself , so will using them for the capacity increase ( when i get to it ) .

I'm working on getting a palette of similar Lifepo4 lithium cells . 10ah pouches . This is the chemistry that is used in all of the Lithium batteries you can currently buy off the shelf for cars and boats . If I get them in i will let you know . Also Trojan just came out with a Lithium battery line called Trillium . Pretty nice battery but expensive .

Quick Reply: Building lightweight Lithium car battery 10lbs!