Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

ceramic spay on coatings

Old 06-23-2020, 07:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Question ceramic spay on coatings

Has anyone tried the ceramic spray on coatings by "The Chemical Guy's", "Meguires", or any of the other ones out now? I've always used either P21S carnubba wax or some of the various spray detailers that are around. I like the promises (if they are true) about the spray ceramic detailers. The word "detailer" has me concerned. I want something that will last a while and not be just another high priced detail spray. If anyone has any experience with these new (?) ceramic coatings/spray's, could you comment here or send me a message by way of the personal message system or by email at hoolligan1938@gmail.com or jpmlholian@aol.com. Thanks in advance for your input and the like's and dislike's you have experienced with the ceramics. If you have any information that I should be aware of, please feel free to express them in your comments. Things like, did you strip the wax off your car first, and if so, how did you do that, and can the ceramics be applied like they say "just spray on, let dry, and buff". I need to know all of the in's and out's, so to speak, for a new application. My car, by the way, is a 2005 Crossfire red coupe and is garaged all the time.

Thanks again,

Jim

Old 06-23-2020, 09:42 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: ceramic spay on coatings

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
Has anyone tried the ceramic spray on coatings by "The Chemical Guy's", "Meguires", or any of the other ones out now? I've always used either P21S carnubba wax or some of the various spray detailers that are around. I like the promises (if they are true) about the spray ceramic detailers. The word "detailer" has me concerned. I want something that will last a while and not be just another high priced detail spray. If anyone has any experience with these new (?) ceramic coatings/spray's, could you comment here or send me a message by way of the personal message system or by email at hoolligan1938@gmail.com or jpmlholian@aol.com. Thanks in advance for your input and the like's and dislike's you have experienced with the ceramics. If you have any information that I should be aware of, please feel free to express them in your comments. Things like, did you strip the wax off your car first, and if so, how did you do that, and can the ceramics be applied like they say "just spray on, let dry, and buff". I need to know all of the in's and out's, so to speak, for a new application. My car, by the way, is a 2005 Crossfire red coupe and is garaged all the time.

Thanks again,

Jim
There is a recent thread on this subject by dedwards0323.
‘Meguiars Ceramic Hybrid Wax’.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-23-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

https://canadiangearhead.com/paint-protection-ceramic-coating-worth-it/

A lot of articles on this coating -- this is just one
Personally , I am old & in the way (apprehensive) of these wiz bang new coatings having experienced some long term unpleasant effects of some polishes .
In todays world I guess glitz rules except w/ my daily driver -- only glitz is on the whls & hardware :-)

Last edited by twanger; 06-24-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

twanger - I too, am an old geezer with old fashioned idea's, and find the new glitz hard to believe, sometimes! Nice looking "A" you have.

Jim

Old 06-26-2020, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the ceramic hybrid spray on wax on 4 cars now. Amazing results. Deeper shine than I have ever gotten with paste wax. Has been on for over 2 months and still looks great. I can do a car in 10-15 minutes. I will probably never go back to traditional wax again

Old 06-26-2020, 08:18 AM

Do you apply over existing wax ?
Thanks

Old 06-26-2020, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know for sure. My latest car, 2005 crossfire roadster was waxed by the previous owner last year and was in storage. I applied the ceramic hydric wax over it 2 weeks ago and it looks great. My car is black and when you look at the hood on as sunny day it looks like a mirror

Old 06-26-2020, 09:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by paulday
Don't know for sure. My latest car, 2005 crossfire roadster was waxed by the previous owner last year and was in storage. I applied the ceramic hydric wax over it 2 weeks ago and it looks great. My car is black and when you look at the hood on as sunny day it looks like a mirror
I agree. I applied the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic "wax" two weeks ago. It looks as good as a carnauba wax finish. I have a black 2005 Roaster and it really shines. I still don't particularly like the idea of the ceramic coating running over the plastic pieces, etc. Especially since our headlights lenses are so expensive to replace. But maybe it's safe for them. Even so, I'll use the ceramic "wax" on my wife's new Jeep and stick with the carnauba wax on the Roadster.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:31 AM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

Does anyone know if having the ceramic coating makes it difficult to touch up or repair paint damage? I sometimes touch up nicks from stones etc. and am wondering if the ceramic prevents paint from adhering?

Old 06-26-2020, 11:50 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Does anyone know if having the ceramic coating makes it difficult to touch up or repair paint damage? I sometimes touch up nicks from stones etc. and am wondering if the ceramic prevents paint from adhering?
We used to have a member here who worked for Meguiars, his monika was MikeInOrange. I have not see him on here for ages, 2007 was his last post according to the records, but that seems too long ago.
He had all the answers, he said Dawn washing up liquid got the polish of the car back to bare paint.
I followed his words like a bible, he was very helpful, maybe he has switched to Facebook.
We have had some excellent people here who had excellent advice all the time, but nowadays as most subjects have been covered over and over things are a little boring, there is enough info here to write large books on oil and batteries and all of it could be reduced to the size of a couple of the earlier posts.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:34 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

I remember Mike, you are right, people do not know how to use the search function. Or maybe they are too lazy.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
We used to have a member here who worked for Meguiars, his monika was MikeInOrange. I have not see him on here for ages, 2007 was his last post according to the records, but that seems too long ago.
He had all the answers, he said Dawn washing up liquid got the polish of the car back to bare paint.
I followed his words like a bible, he was very helpful, maybe he has switched to Facebook.
We have had some excellent people here who had excellent advice all the time, but nowadays as most subjects have been covered over and over things are a little boring, there is enough info here to write large books on oil and batteries and all of it could be reduced to the size of a couple of the earlier posts.
If you are applying touch up paint over real ceramic you are supposed to wipe the nick or stone chip with alcohol and/or lacquer thinner. Otherwise when painting large surfaces the sanding to rough up the surface works no matter what. If you are talking about the water-less wash and wax products then I can attest that I last used a product via the internet that looks great a year later but I put on 3 coats initially. You might find newer products are less expensive and work as well or better but I am sticking with what I used ......"SHINE ARMOR Fortify Quick Coat - Ceramic Coating - Car Wax Polish Spray - Waterless Car Wash & Wax - Hydrophobic Top Coat Polish & Polymer Paint Sealant Detail Protection" It costs $20 on amazon.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:49 AM

Don't use lacquer thinner to clean anything w/ paint underneath unless you want to ruin it !

Old 07-16-2020, 11:26 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

I always use a product along the lines of "Prep Sol" to remove wax, polish, and or sealant before performing any type of touch-up paint process. These products are widely used by auto body shops to prep a car for sanding and then again to remove any & all dust before painting.