CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Detail Shop (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/detail-shop/)
-   -   Sick of hazy headlights? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/detail-shop/19772-sick-hazy-headlights.html)

GDrag 11-18-2007 07:11 PM

Sick of hazy headlights?

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go! =]

Did it yesterday.

Attachment 50896

maxcichon 11-19-2007 05:25 AM

Re: Sick of hazy headlights?

I just used this product for my daughter's Accord headlights. Worked like a charm, they look like new. :D

http://www.crystalviewchemicals.com/myheadlight/

dnorm 11-19-2007 09:40 AM

Re: Brilliant...

...thanks for showing this. Just bought a 2004 and have the fogged headlights as well, but on mine the top 1.5" or so seems to have some slight 'etching' in the clear plastic. I don't know if it's related to headlamp heat or what. Did you also have this etching?

Thanks,
Norm

AlG 11-19-2007 10:02 AM

It's said that toothpaste works as well as anything you can buy in the stores although I've yet to try it.

GDrag 11-19-2007 08:17 PM

Yup I also had the 1.5 inch at the top and some on the outside of the light. This cleaned it like new. =]

Mine was also scratched up a bit from previous owner, this also helped that. Worked great. Did it on my bmw 5 too.

dnorm 11-20-2007 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by GDrag
Yup I also had the 1.5 inch at the top and some on the outside of the light. This cleaned it like new. =]

Mine was also scratched up a bit from previous owner, this also helped that. Worked great. Did it on my bmw 5 too.

Thanks GD - Bough all the stuff last night and will give it a go this weekend. Appreciate the post.

- Norm

GDrag 11-20-2007 04:16 PM

Don't mention it. ;)

Maxwell 11-20-2007 06:15 PM

I was going to polish out my old chevy lamps, and was thinking, after I get them shined and polished maybe I should throw on a coat of clear coat, what do you guys think?

Maxwell 12-01-2007 10:13 AM

I think the mods should make this a sticky.

Electric Messiah 12-01-2007 11:31 AM

Agreed. This should be a sticky. :)

However, check with your Dealers. This is covered under warrenty.
I got mine replaced earlier this week due to the haze.
New is better than "good as new". ;)

patpur 12-01-2007 01:48 PM

I keep telling you guys, buy a Porter Cable Polisher and you can do the same thing, without the sand paper in 5 minutes tops. And you have an idiot proof buffer for your car.

Pat

Maxwell 12-01-2007 03:52 PM

sticky this thread please ... just trying to keep the repeat offenders from starting threads over and over again.

dnorm 12-01-2007 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by GDrag
Don't mention it. ;)

I finally got around to trying out your procedures for cleaning up the headlights - your instructions worked like a charm. Headlights are clean and clear. :D

Thanks again GD!
- Norm

GDrag 12-05-2007 11:11 PM

haha np. =]

Electric Messiah 12-08-2007 07:36 PM

My brand new headlamps went through their first rain/snow/cold spell...
Got moisture/condensation behind them... :p

Nothing I know of can be done about it.

Sucks big time.

Iamfink2 12-09-2007 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Electric Messiah
My brand new headlamps went through their first rain/snow/cold spell...
Got moisture/condensation behind them... :p

Nothing I know of can be done about it.

Sucks big time.

The original fix for this was a TSB which they would install a vent kit on each light, whether it works or not I don't know.

Jack Shry 12-14-2007 01:09 PM

I used 0000 steel wool. A lot less fog and the finished product looks like new.

patpur 12-14-2007 05:40 PM

I think the venting issue is for headlights that fog on the inside. Pat you've seen mine and I think you had it too where there is an etching as well as haze on the outside of the lense. Two separate issues I think. I buff mine with Meguiars Scratch X and they really come out nice. I think there must be something in the water or soap that etches them over time. As for having them replaced I'd rather not have a dealer mess with them if I don't have to.
Pat

beasticles 12-15-2007 12:33 PM

just got the materials... about to try this... will let everyone know how it goes.

Stogey 03-16-2008 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I just used this product for my daughter's Accord headlights. Worked like a charm, they look like new. :D

http://www.crystalviewchemicals.com/myheadlight/

Used this stuff myself, works just the way they say it does, except for the 5 minutes per lens part. Took me the better part of an hour and a half, but I took my time and had some deep pitting to deal with. :rolleyes:

See my picture gallery for before, during and after pics.

Just my Dos Centavos !