Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Something smells in '04

Old 07-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something smells in '04

Looked at a very low miles '04 and the car is clean except for a funky smell. Dealer says it is from detailing/carpet cleaning &tc... but I'm skeptical about anything a dealer says. If anybody has any experience on troubleshooting odors, feedback would be appreciated.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Something smells in '04

Originally Posted by Jeff CSA
Looked at a very low miles '04 and the car is clean except for a funky smell. Dealer says it is from detailing/carpet cleaning &tc... but I'm skeptical about anything a dealer says. If anybody has any experience on troubleshooting odors, feedback would be appreciated.
Might be .... but also might have been a smokers car and dealer trying to cover it. Also, if possible check Carfax and see if car was in areas of flooding. If car sat in a flood and it covered floor boards, there is almost no way to remove the odor of mildew and river rot completely. Just my $.02

Old 07-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it smell when you first get in it or does it smell while you're driving? It could be the cabin air filter if you smell it when the car is running.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff CSA
Easy....just ask him to show you another car that was cleaned using the same cleaning supplies (watch for a look an oh **** look on his face)

If it is a dill pickle, vinegar, wet towel smell check the cabin air filter.

Musty could be air conditioner backed up and moldy. Dealers have a foam cleaner for this.
Pull up the rear cargo compartment cover, check under the foam for water.

Anything else and it needs to be checked out very carefully. Carfax couldnt hurt.