Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

streaky windows

Old 08-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default streaky windows

whats the best thing to use for cleaning the windows that won't leave streaks, I've tried alcohol wipes, glass cleaner wipes, spray on glass cleaner, just about everything I can think of and I still get streaks. looks clean when you do it, but then when the sun hits it you can see streaks.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: streaky windows

In my experience, windows will always have some sort of film on them unless they are stripped-off completely of any grease on their surface. Window streaks are probably one of the most stubborn problems to fix in car detailing. This means that windows will look best without PROTECTION. First of all, clay bar the area. Please see my thread "How to detail a crossfire" for more info. Then, get an automotive wax and grease remover (I use Crossfire...no joke, that's the name) from any autoparts store and apply it to the windows straight with a quality microfiber towel. Reapply multiple times in small sections until streaks disappear, using more than one towel. PLEASE make sure you wipe the wax and grease remover immediately after application (within 3 seconds). Your windows should be streak-free. But, I'm not sure if this is the best way to go. Your window will be stripped off of any protection. So, the second best thing to do in my opinion is, after the windows have been stripped and streakless, apply a paint cleaner (thinly) and then a wax (thinly) to the area to provide protection from the elements and to allow water to fly off at highway speeds (no wiper blades).

Old 08-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a glass cleaner and newspaper.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Armor All Auto Glass Cleaner and a microfiber towel. After a good wash and clay bar.

This also works better than anything I've used on house windows. (Tell the wife!)

Old 08-07-2008, 09:21 AM

Stoner glass cleaner works great for me, no streaks.

I normally use a microfiber towel but would use newspaper if I have it available at the time.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DesertFox
Stoner glass cleaner works great for me, no streaks.

I normally use a microfiber towel but would use newspaper if I have it available at the time.
I agree Stoner, I cant do glass but when I use Stoner they come out the best.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:53 AM
RPM

I use Stoner's Invisible Glass. You can get a pack of 4-5 cans at Sam's Club for pretty cheap.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

3M glass cleaner and a good clean microfiber towel or newspaper is my fav.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:10 PM

Armour-All glass cleaner is pretty good.
I don't care for Stoner - it only works well if the glass is already mostly clean (like right after you wash your car). Any bug guts or grime make it streak.
I am a firm believer of Spray-Way (buy it at Sam's). That stuff is great.

But remember - try not to clean your windows that are hot with the sun shining on them. That is not fun.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Armour-All glass cleaner is pretty good.
I don't care for Stoner - it only works well if the glass is already mostly clean (like right after you wash your car). Any bug guts or grime make it streak.
I am a firm believer of Spray-Way (buy it at Sam's). That stuff is great.

But remember - try not to clean your windows that are hot with the sun shining on them. That is not fun.
Ringmaster, if my information is still current, Sprayaway is the same stuff as Stoner's, just relabeled.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:45 PM

If it is - then Spray-Way got all the good ingredients!

I looked at my cans, it says Spray-Way is made in Illinois by Sprayway Inc, and Stoner's in Pennsylvania by Stoner's Inc. It would be nice if Stoner's made both because they are a good community-oriented company. Any company that rescues a historic antique carousel and buys it for their community is A-OK in my book. I will have to continue showing my support with using their Trim Shine.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:44 AM

Yeah, Stoner's stands by their products very well. They offered to buy me a new grille. Just take a look at my sticky "Product warning/suggestion." I enjoy using both products as well prior to using the wax/grease remover wipedown to make a dirty window clean. But, please keep in mind that most of these glass cleaners strip off WAX. This means poor visibility in rain. I learned this the hard way. My glass was dirty so I cleaned it with Sprayaway. I drove it around a few minutes after, it started to rain, and I got virturally no beading.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RPM
I use Stoner's Invisible Glass. You can get a pack of 4-5 cans at Sam's Club for pretty cheap.
this is all i use also

Old 08-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Another vote for the Stoner's product. I think you can figure out by now where we are going with this.......Get Some STONERS!
pat

Old 08-12-2008, 08:02 AM

I use bug and tar remover on the outside glass with a clean microfiber cloth to buff.

I have also had good luck with 90+% isopropyl alcohol from walmart in certain cases. It really depends on what is causing the streaks.

I also clean all my windows before I was the car. This is because the window cleaning solutions seem to drip down onto the doors and whatever crud I've washed off the windows ends up on my paint.

By the way, ammonia-based cleaners never work for me.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by white04XF
whats the best thing to use for cleaning the windows that won't leave streaks, I've tried alcohol wipes, glass cleaner wipes, spray on glass cleaner, just about everything I can think of and I still get streaks. looks clean when you do it, but then when the sun hits it you can see streaks.
This probably sounds crazy but my wife found these at a local craft sale.

www.yvonnesoriginalnostreaks.com

I tried them and even the film that builds on the inside of the windows from the vinyl off gassing that just seems to smear was removed. These things really seem to work. They even get the bugs off without much effort. I laughed when my wife came home with them but after using them I'm convinced. You wet them down, ring them out and clean the windows. No need to dry the glass afterwords. I don't have any connection with selling these things but they're the best thing I've found for the car windows.

Bruce

Old 08-13-2008, 10:34 AM

Stoner's by far!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:32 PM

This sounds weird, but my dad always cleans his windows in and out with vinegar...