CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Detail Shop (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/detail-shop/)
-   -   Keyed windshield...ideas? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/detail-shop/40790-keyed-windshield-ideas.html)

chevyboyac 02-18-2010 07:26 PM

Keyed windshield...ideas?

ok so my 75 day old windshield got keyed.......safelight and progressive insurance both say to bad we wont repair or replace it for free......figures....Do you think a product like plastx from Meguiar’s would work on it? I dont want a hazzy finish like I think it might end up being if i use a product thats ment for plastic.....I went to auto zone and couldnt find anything to fix glass scratches.....It really peeves me that safelight and progressive dont give a damn about it.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/DSC01321.jpg

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/DSC01320.jpg

corfire 02-18-2010 07:57 PM

Re: Keyed windshield...ideas?

[quote=chevyboyac]ok so my 75 day old windshield got keyed.......safelight and progressive insurance both say to bad we wont repair or replace it for free......figures....Do you think a product like plastx from Meguiar’s would work on it? I dont want a hazzy finish like I think it might end up being if i use a product thats ment for plastic.....I went to auto zone and couldnt find anything to fix glass scratches.....It really peeves me that safelight and progressive dont give a damn about it.
/quote]
I can't imagine a key doing that. It looks to me like something hit and scraped it? Anyway, when I worked for Tektronix (oscilloscope manufacture) many moons ago, we used a powdered tooth paste mixed with water to remove scratches from the glass screens. It takes quite a bit of rubbing. I have also had sratches in a side window on a van. I used rubbing compound with extensive hand rubbing to remove them.

bluecoupe 02-18-2010 07:58 PM

I'm told jewelers rouge can be used to buff out light scratches......may be worth a try.

Mike-in-Orange 02-18-2010 08:36 PM

So this was some little schmuck's idea of a good time. Wow, some people are just assholes beyond belief, aren't they?

I'm afraid you're going to be really hard pressed to do much for this as these look quite deep. PlastX isn't going to do a darn thing on glass, nor will most anything else you can work by hand. There are glass polishing kits out there, but they make use of cerium oxide for the abrasive and require use of a rotary buffer to do the grunt work. The serious draw back is that you can generate a lot of heat this way and distort the glass, potentially giving you poor optic quality and a wavey view through the windshield. Or you can easily generate a TON of heat and break the glass.

Much as it pains me to say this, replacing it is probably your best bet. But how is vandalism not covered by your insurance policy? Shouldn't that fall under the comprehensive coverage component of the policy?

oledoc2u 02-18-2010 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
I'm told jewelers rouge can be used to buff out light scratches......may be worth a try.

I'm with bluecoupe....jewelers rouge....

newCrossfire 02-18-2010 08:59 PM

You can get automotive clear coat and dab it into the scratch wih a touch up brush then let it fully cure( a few hours in the sun should do it). After its cured take a razor blade and scrape off the excess clear.if you do it right the clear should fill in the scratch.

waldig 02-18-2010 09:07 PM

Keys, Brass can not scratch glass, unless it is dirty.

The scratches are parallel and road rash in my opinion.

Look up Harbor freight and or Eastman automotive. THey have kits, polish and pads for your drill to remove windshield wiper scratches, like when the blade slips off in a storm and you dont notice it in the rain.

THat will keep you occupied for some time, dont do it in the sun and show us the finished views. Been there and done that too, Tooth paste was my late dads (Dentist USN) favorite for plastic, ONLY. Woody

waldig 02-18-2010 09:09 PM

Dude ( mr secret) where do you live?????????????????

Looks like ice scraper marks to me, Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???????????

Woody

chevyboyac 02-18-2010 09:26 PM

Na this poped up in the last week, we havent had snow here since like 2 weeks ago or so.

InfernoRedXfire 02-18-2010 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by waldig
Dude ( mr secret) where do you live?????????????????

Looks like ice scraper marks to me, Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???????????

Woody

Agree. Too many of the scratches are running parallel to each other to be a keyed problem. :confused:

chevyboyac 02-18-2010 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Much as it pains me to say this, replacing it is probably your best bet. But how is vandalism not covered by your insurance policy? Shouldn't that fall under the comprehensive coverage component of the policy?

They said I have to pay the deductible first which is 500 bucks and the last windshield only cost 354 bucks

corfire 02-18-2010 10:41 PM

I will repeat that I have personally removed scratches from glass by hand using powdered toothpaste and also rubbing compound. You might want to give it a try. When I used rubbing compound I rubbed repeatedly for more that a half hour, checking now and then to make sure the glass was not being damaged.

spotsbimmer 02-18-2010 10:54 PM

Caused by drive through car wash? But then why not the paint too?

Franc Rauscher 02-18-2010 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by spotsbimmer
Caused by drive through car wash? But then why not the paint too?

I hatetosay it bt if the paint isn't damaged I wouldhave to wonder if it was vandalism.

I mean paint is so easy to key. This looks like something on a broom used to clear the snow or a tool that was supposed to remove some frost but scratched the glass.

Now let's consider the glass.

Safelite uses windshields out of China. I won't use their product even on my beater jeep. However, many insurers insist on them so you are kinda stuck.

So perhaps an innocent attempt to clear the windshield with say a broom out of the shop with metal filings on it.....Would do exactly like Woody suggested with the wiper system. Should not have been able to happen but......

The good news is that if it was a vandal they didn't do your paint. Paint would be far more costly than the glass.

Repairs of the glass will likely give you distortion as Mike in Orange suggested. If it was me, I wouldn't try. Just replace it, but do so with Pilkingtons.
That is the original glass.

I'll wager Safelite didn't use the right urethane sealant system either.

Go for the Pilkington.
Insist on it.

roadster with a stick

corfire 02-19-2010 02:41 AM

You're probably are not going to leave it the way it is. So, why not try some of the suggestions (rubbing compound, toothpaste, jewelers rouge, by hand, with buffer or whatever). It they don't work or you don't like the results, then cough up the $$$ and get it replaced!

patpur 02-19-2010 08:32 AM

after you deal with this I would suggest you consider lowering your Comprehensive deductible. This is the very reason I urge my customers to take low comp deductibles. Comp is a less expensive coverage than your collision and it might make sense to pay 10$ more a month and get a free windshield when this happens. Unfortunately when some people think auto insurance they want it cheap and that is what some people will sell you without telling you the problems with higher deductibles. One of Progressives gimics is the "name your price deal" well you get what you pay for. If you have a questions please feel free to pm me, be glad to help you.
Pat

waldig 02-19-2010 08:40 AM

Its not that hard to do, Woody
Window Scratch Remover? - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

:D

chevyboyac 02-19-2010 09:19 AM

Im gonna go to harbor freight and see what the windshield repair kit looks like If I dont like it I will buy this online and try it. Glass Polishing Kit Pro

I did get the pinkerton glass cause I started a tread 2 1/2 months ago about what type of glass I needed. Well the dude took me in the back and showed me all the glass they had and he said it was all made in the usa and pinkerton but i know nothing about glass so I dunno what it is. I will post after pics no matter what type of fix I try.

Thirteendog 02-19-2010 09:33 AM

Sell the car and get an SRT-6... problem solved.

Steve - UK 02-19-2010 10:06 AM

If your cover wont pay unless it is accidental damage, may be its time for an "accident" ?;)