CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Detail Shop (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/detail-shop/)
-   -   Clay Bar = AWESOME (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/detail-shop/51433-clay-bar-awesome.html)

crossfire ninja 07-30-2011 02:41 PM

Clay Bar = AWESOME

I know this should probably be posted in the “exterior” section of the forum, but I posted so many times here, I am bragging on my coupe here.

I’ve never done a clay bar process on a vehicle before, but decided to take a shot at it on my ’04 XF. Let me tell you this...the finish on my paint wasn’t all that bad to begin with, but now it is like a mirror finish. I go the Meguiars Clay Bar kit that comes complete with 2 clay bars, microfiber cloth, quick finish and wax polish.

I, first, washed the car, then pulled it into the garage to work out of the sun. I clay bar(ed) all the top-facing surfaces last night and was quite impressed with the results. When you run your hand across the surface, it is smooth as silk (seriously). This morning I did all the sides, front and rear of the car, then applied the spray wax/polish. AWESOME results. It’s so nice, I don’t want to take it out into the elements, but you KNOW I will to show it off. I also applied some swirl/scratch remover to the area under the outside door handle that is likely to get scratches; made a world of difference there too. This 7 year old car looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I”m really impressed and proud of the results I got from this product.

Yes, I’ll be posting pictures soon.

XFNINJA

FP 07-30-2011 02:50 PM

Re: Clay Bar = AWESOME

Congrats. Claying makes a big difference, and should be done at least once a year, before any paint correction (swirl remover), polish and wax. Do yourself a favor and polish and wax the car now.

crossfire ninja 07-30-2011 02:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
OK, here’s some pics. Not the BEST pics as it was taken with iPhone, but hopefully you get the idea.

metrocop 07-30-2011 09:34 PM

Like my grandpappy used to say "That thang shines like a diamond in a goat's butt".

And I have no idea what that means...

killerkanadian 08-24-2011 04:53 PM

Although since I've gotten my car I've taken pride in how many layers of wax I have shined my car up with, I think when a cool day comes around I am going to clay bar the xf. Then ill start the whole process over again.

Mike-in-Orange 08-25-2011 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by killerkanadian
Although since I've gotten my car I've taken pride in how many layers of wax I have shined my car up with, I think when a cool day comes around I am going to clay bar the xf. Then ill start the whole process over again.

Don't get too caught up in the notion of layering wax. We've never seen anyone prove that it can be actually be done, but we have seen others conduct independent tests showing it can't. Carnauba waxes generally have just enough solvent in them to make the carnauba workable that applying a second coat will, at least to some extent, remove the first coat. Synthetic sealants won't really allow for an ever increasing film build either. And since any wax or sealant is a sacrificial barrier that naturally degrades over time, if you wax your car 4 times a year you don't have 4 coats of wax on the car, you have one. By the time you get around to applying the new application there isn't much left of the previous one.

Craziest thing I ever had anyone tell me was that they had 50 layers of our cleaner wax on their car. Uh, it's a cleaner wax - the second application will take off the first. Guaranteed. But even without use of a cleaner wax, you don't just keep building up layers. Oh, and if you're into repeatedly buffing the finish as you take the wax off, stop it. All you're doing is wasting energy and taking off the little bit of wax you wanted to leave behind in the first place!

killerkanadian 08-25-2011 06:50 PM

Thanks Mike, that's good information. I don't quiet look at it that way but i figured there was some benefit to waxing more often than not.

All that aside, i Clay Bar'ed my car today and it looks great. I wasn't really a believer while i was actually scrubbing my car, but by the time the wax was done it looks fantastic. Still i need a quality detail that can touch up the paint. I have a lot of chips, mostly in my front bumper, I simply can't do anything about.

FP 08-25-2011 08:36 PM

Try Dr ColorChip on your chips. You would be surprise how well it covers them up. I've used on my chips and I think it does good job.

Tell me if you see any on this picture.

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/t...N/536c2935.jpg

Hilander 08-19-2015 08:46 AM

Will clay remove all orange peel?
Thanks
Alex

rush549 08-19-2015 05:13 PM

I had to have my Xfire repainted (Thnx local dirtbags) about 5 years ago. It has been pushed out of it's cozy garage, and into a carport, by my 34 Ford 3 years ago. The 34 has a suede finish. You can't clay it. You can't wax it. It was built in 2005. Still looks great. The Crossy hasn't been waxed since it was repainted. Still looks great.
Don't get caught up in the hype. Use whatever is on sale. Or don't use any at all.

rush549 08-19-2015 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hilander (Post 845518)
Will clay remove all orange peel?
Thanks
Alex

Clay cleans foreign particles. Sandpaper removes orange peel. I don't suggest you attempt the latter.
For those who might question my experience. I worked in a body shop for a few years. I was taught by the owner with thirty years of experience.

Hilander 08-19-2015 05:27 PM

Yeah no ****! I do have a friend who is a painter, but it's tempting lol

Crossroader 10-12-2015 03:22 AM

Anyone here used the clay bar from Adam polishes?

Hilander 10-12-2015 08:05 AM

Chrome

Has anyone thought of caroming out the door handles?
OR is there a way to remove the handles altogether and have a remote that opens the door by RFC?

sander 10-20-2015 10:41 PM

I find Mothers clay bar way easier to use and performs better compared with megs. I have tried Adams and the result is almost the same, but I believe there are 2 type of grade and I used the softer one.

Hilander 12-16-2016 04:38 PM

How often should I clay? I keep in driveway and drive through was 2-3 times a week. It looks great but could it look better?

onehundred80 12-16-2016 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hilander (Post 878915)
How often should I clay? I keep in driveway and drive through was 2-3 times a week. It looks great but could it look better?

If it was me in your situation I would do it every year. I think you'll find the top surfaces get most of the guck on it. Doing it reasonably often makes it easier to do.
Turn the bar inside out often, I tear it into two pieces and it does the car twice.
Use a goodly amount of lubricant on it, and only do it after a good car wash, no need to get grit in the bar, if you drop the bar on the ground dump it for the same reason.
I've only used Mothers detailing spray on mine, a little washing up liquid in water works as well I guess.

Hilander 12-16-2016 08:00 PM

Thank you for you! I will switch to Mothers and get rid of maguires

maxcichon 12-16-2016 08:52 PM

I stopped using actual clay bars 3 years ago. Right after I dropped the 2nd wad of the day.

I took a chance and bought these. I'll never go back-I can "clay" my xfire in about 30 minutes-top AND sides and I'll take the barrage of crap from the purists here. This thing works. And works quite well. I'll let Mike-in-Orange step in here. And I'll argue with him. I've never been dissed on the appearance of my car, this is just one of "my ways".

And I've dropped it a few times. I walk inside and wash it off-back to work.

https://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-0...skin+autoscrub

And as to the frequency of "claying" your car: if it's showing signs of bonded contaminants, clay it. Unlike compounding/polishing, it doesn't remove clearcoat. Then wax. I park outside during the day and garage at night. I "clay" 2-3 times a year, depending.

Let the first barrage begin!

dedwards0323 12-17-2016 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon (Post 878922)
I stopped using actual clay bars 3 years ago. Right after I dropped the 2nd wad of the day.

I took a chance and bought these. I'll never go back-I can "clay" my xfire in about 30 minutes-top AND sides and I'll take the barrage of crap from the purists here. This thing works. And works quite well. I'll let Mike-in-Orange step in here. And I'll argue with him. I've never been dissed on the appearance of my car, this is just one of "my ways".

And I've dropped it a few times. I walk inside and wash it off-back to work.

And as to the frequency of "claying" your car: if it's showing signs of bonded contaminants, clay it. Unlike compounding/polishing, it doesn't remove clearcoat. Then wax. I park outside during the day and garage at night. I "clay" 2-3 times a year, depending.

Let the first barrage begin!

This looks interesting!

I'm not a big believer in using the clay bar. I've probably only done this 2-3 times since I bought the car back in OCT/2008. I do perform a deep wash, polish & wax 2x per year - once in early spring before summer season & once in early fall before winter season. And the Machine Gray color just pops!

I enjoy the car and take care of it at a fairly high level. But it's not a concours show car!