Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Sylvania Headlight Restoration Review

Old 11-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sylvania Headlight Restoration Review

After researching the subject of headlight restoration products, I ended up with the Sylvania Headlight which I purchased from the local Advance Auto Parts store for $20. The box for the product claims that the restoration project will take less than 30 minutes, but my experience was that it took about 3 hours. I also deviated slightly from the instructions and, in retrospect, could have just as easily followed the enclosed instructions verbatim and had the same result.

The process is simple:
1. Mask off paint surrounding the headlight with the tape provided
2. Spray headlight with activator - let sit 30 seconds - wash off
3. Wet sand with 400 grit sandpaper until the headlights are uniformly hazy
4. Wet sand with 1000 grit sandpaper for 5 minutes (per headlight)
5. Wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper for 5 minutes
6. Polish with provided polishing compound for 5 minutes
7. Spray headlight with activator again - wash off
8. Remove tape (I waited until the process was complete to do this step)
9. Thouroughly dry headlight
10. Apply UV block clear coat with cloth

I left the tape on until after I applied the UV block clear coat, but it turns out that it was not necessary. What I thought would be the most difficult step turned out to be one of the easiest steps.

I've posted photos of the various steps on Facebook. You should not need an account to view them. The link to the photos is:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=951d8f9cef

If you have any questions about the process, I'd be glad to answer them. The Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit comes with a "lifetime warranty". With any luck, I won't need it.

Last edited by Towncrier; 11-26-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Sylvania Headlight Restoration Review

They look like new.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Looks like a great job. I wonder what exactlly is the UV block clearcoat? Any idea?

James

Old 11-26-2011, 05:00 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job.....oh and that is one heavy duty garage safe!!!

Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 PM

The UV coating smells just like Minwax wood stain. The kit did come with a protective glove and a warning about not applying it in an enclosed area.

Last edited by Towncrier; 11-27-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Towncrier, thanks for posting. It never ceases to amaze me the low quality plastic Chrysler used in the headlights. My limited had the same hazing issues and I used a variety of products with varied results. Please do post an update in 3 months or so (with pics if possible) showing us how this product has held up to the elements. In my experience I found that many of these off the shelf items resolved the problem initially, but never held up for long. That being said, I never used a UV clear coat, which should help maintain the plastic.

When I purchased my SRT6, one of the things I looked for in a new vehicle was clean headlights. So many Crossfires on the market today have succumbed to hazy headlights, and my experience was that you could restore those headlights, but the haze would always come back. I was looking at an SRT6 that was much more convenient to me (10 miles away from where I live versus 400 miles away like the one I purchased) but that had headlights that needed to be seriously restored, but I would have wanted to replace them. For anyone interested, the lights cost about $500 - $600 a pop new.

The SRT6 I bought had perfectly clear headlights. First thing I did when I got it home was clean the headlights with some plastic cleaner and apply this product Wolfgang Plastik Surface Sealant to the headlights. It is supposed to applied at 6 month intervals and serves as a UV protectant (similar to what was probably included in the OPs kit), and so far appears to have limited any hazing, but I have not had it on the lights long enough to provide a sound approval of the product. Will post back sometime in the summer to let everyone know if it is still working.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Towncrier
After researching the subject of headlight restoration products, I ended up with the Sylvania Headlight which I purchased from the local Advance Auto Parts store for $20. The box for the product claims that the restoration project will take less than 30 minutes, but my experience was that it took about 3 hours. I also deviated slightly from the instructions and, in retrospect, could have just as easily followed the enclosed instructions verbatim and had the same result.

The process is simple:
1. Mask off paint surrounding the headlight with the tape provided
2. Spray headlight with activator - let sit 30 seconds - wash off
3. Wet sand with 400 grit sandpaper until the headlights are uniformly hazy
4. Wet sand with 1000 grit sandpaper for 5 minutes (per headlight)
5. Wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper for 5 minutes
6. Polish with provided polishing compound for 5 minutes
7. Spray headlight with activator again - wash off
8. Remove tape (I waited until the process was complete to do this step)
9. Thouroughly dry headlight
10. Apply UV block clear coat with cloth

I left the tape on until after I applied the UV block clear coat, but it turns out that it was not necessary. What I thought would be the most difficult step turned out to be one of the easiest steps.

I've posted photos of the various steps on Facebook. You should not need an account to view them. The link to the photos is:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=951d8f9cef

If you have any questions about the process, I'd be glad to answer them. The Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit comes with a "lifetime warranty". With any luck, I won't need it.
Found the kit on Amazon, will order it Pronto, thanks for the tip!

Last edited by ingsoc39; 06-17-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had purchased my crossfire 8 years ago. The first thing I did was place 3M clear bra plastic on the front and the headlights. Not one sign of hazing yet. Have bought two more cars since and that is the first thing I did. All look brand new.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:52 PM

I owe the group a followup. The Sylvania headlight restoration looked good for about four years before it started clouding over again. I have contacted their customer service department to see if they will send me a replacement kit. Otherwise, I will probably purchase another kit from Amazon for around $18. This time I will make sure to register the warranty and save my receipt.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Towncrier
This time I will make sure to register the warranty and save my receipt.
I can say, "I broke it", an the boss goes to a file cabinet an says," what was it!"

Old 09-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
I can say, "I broke it", an the boss goes to a file cabinet an says," what was it!"

Haha! I have a boss like that too, except only when she's aware of my purchases.